Faital pro HF200 VS. B&C DE85TN on Eliptrac 400

The Dude

I would like to use Dave's Eliptrac 400 on my Khorns as a 2 way with either the Faital pro HF200 16 ohm version vs the B&C DE85TN. Seeing if anyone has had the chance to a/b these and what they thought. I know it would all be personal preference, does anyone know which takes less equing as that is seems to be one of the issues.

Thanks Duder

• Like 1

I have my answer but if any feels they still want to put the 2 cents in feel free. I would still like to see what others say.

I haven't tried the B&C driver, but the Faital HF200 is very good on the Eliptrac 400 horn.

• Like 1

I have the Faital HF200 with Eliptrac 400 and can vouch for how nice they are. If you are going with active crossover be aware they are VERY sensitive and as such any noise in the chain will be audible. While I haven't heard the B&C I am sure if it were a viable option someone here would have tried them.

All the best.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

is there any difference between HF140 and HF200 from technical point of view? the only difference seems to be the output diameter. the frequency response of HF140 seems a bit better on the higher notes. any idea?

is there any difference between HF140 and HF200 from technical point of view? the only difference seems to be the output diameter. the frequency response of HF140 seems a bit better on the higher notes. any idea?

JBL created a new line of drivers 2447 vs. 2446. Same 4" diaphragm on both, but different phase plug and smaller throat for better high frequency dispersion in a shorter horn. Peavey, TAD, EV, Faital, etc. have all taken a similar approach by creating a basic 1.4" throat then adding on a conical section to increase final diameter at the horn throat bolt point to 2".

So yes the "base" driver portion is the same for the 2" and the 1.4". I'm just surprised that Faital doesn't offer the the adapter separately, since it's a bolt-on at the factory. Not very customer friendly if you ask me, but they do make great drivers, espeically since they OWN their own source for Neodymium magnet materials and don't have to be beholden to a Chinese monopoly.

• Like 1

Guest David H

Both are very capable drivers. In a listening test I don't think I could identify which is which.

I typically use the B&C because it is a shallower driver.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Dave
  • Like 2

actually I'm thinking about putting some R&D $ on a project of building a speaker with constant directivity at least 100db of efficiency. I'm thinking about HF140 and 15PR400 15" woofer also from Faital Pro. at first I wanted to use Faital LTH142 but they get narrow on directivity so I'm thinking about some other horn. Seos 24 looks very promising.

today I was talking to a guy who is distrubuter of Beyma in Iran. he was trying to convince me that Faital Pro is a new boy in the block and their products are second rate goods comparing to B&C and Beyma and 18sound. he believed Faital Pro drivers are in another league like Ciare and Selenium. I think he didn't know what he was talking about because he even didn't know what a measurement mic is! beside he claimed that he designs speakers! I think Faital Pro products are among the best. I never found a good 15" from B&C that I'd like to use.

Seos 24:

fe99140e_seos_24d_1.jpeg

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

Guest David H

I didn't have much luck with the 15PR400. It didn't have much low end extension, more important I didn't like the way it sounded.

I went back to using Eminence.

Dave

• Like 1

I didn't have much luck with the 15PR400. It didn't have much low end extension, more important I didn't like the way it sounded.

Dave

you know, I'm Faital Pro dealer here and I can get their products for alot less than retail price so I tend to use them. besides, I can't buy things from US, bye bye to Eminence. considering this, what other model of Faital Pro 15 inchers do you think might be good in such an application?

thanks,

Faital LTH142 but they get narrow on directivity so I'm thinking about some other horn. Seos 24 looks very promising.

That looks like it would be a great performer from 500 Hz. on up, but like all horns or waveguides, they do narrow at the high frequencies, which is why I prefer 3-way for dispersion angle at 12 Khz. Horns are inherently narrow band devices, and to ask them to go more that about 3 1/2-4 octaves is sometimes asking too much. That being said. there's a reason why EV, JBL, and others backed off their 2" size down to 1.4 inches, and why Altec (now Great Plains Audio) has always remained at that size. In a 2-way, unless you are willing to go to a bigger horn, like the JBL 2360A (which has amazing dispersion at 8 Khz.).

However if you are a lone listener in a sweet spot and you stay on axis, what you suggest is good route to take, since 1.4" is a good compromise between 1" and 2"

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Guest David H

Dave

you know, I'm Faital Pro dealer here and I can get their products for alot less than retail price so I tend to use them. besides, I can't buy things from US, bye bye to Eminence. considering this, what other model of Faital Pro 15 inchers do you think might be good in such an application?

thanks,

That being the case, I think Faital Pro is certainly the way to go in your case.

As far a suggestions I just don't know, I had only tried the one set. May have been the box volume or tuning I chose, but it wasn't for me.

I am sure you will make something wonderful.

Dave

• Like 1

I have my answer but if any feels they still want to put the 2 cents in feel free. I would still like to see what others say.

I haven't tried the B&C driver, but the Faital HF200 is very good on the Eliptrac 400 horn.

Hey Bob the B&C 85 is really close to the one I use on the 403. The difference is throat size. Good performance.

• 9 years later...

I miss Dave, he was a good dude with good stuff. I wish I had the extra cash as there is a pair of his horns up for sale.  Those and the EV HP640 with the Faitals are hard to beat.  I still have Dave's Fastlane Drifts as surround speakers. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I miss Dave, he was a good dude with good stuff. I wish I had the extra cash as there is a pair of his horns up for sale.  Those and the EV HP640 with the Faitals are hard to beat.  I still have Dave's Fastlane Drifts as surround speakers. 

Sorry / not sorry for liking what you asked and said in 2013. I, now, have some of Dave's 'E' 400 and am trying to find out more about what drivers to use and what caps, chokes and xover points to use. 

40 minutes ago, The Dude said:

as there is a pair of his horns up for sale. 

I saw those. They look great.