1994 La Scala's in Central Florida

endover

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will PM and email you. I go to the West Palm area often to see my dad - and will be there again this week. I have previously contacted other folks with Klipsch speakers in So FL, but it never worked out via Fleabay, Craigslust, Audi ogon, etc. Recently did a road trip and picked up a Belle and LS 1s, all late 70s. How would a '94 compare to a LS 1 from the 70s? I should note that I also have a pair of H 2s, and prefer the H 1s.

Cheers from The Big Easy.

Endover is a great person to deal with. Thank you for the compliments. These 1994 LSs are sitting at my parent's place in Wellington (WPB area) now. Debating now whether to leave as 2 channel. Maybe use some Heresies or Academies as surrounds and maybe a center. I suspect these will mostly be used for TV, movies and such vs music per se. The folks have lots of old classical records too and an ancient Dual TT in a Fischer cabinet c 1965. Due to size and cost a single 18" PA sub like a Behringer might be optimal, even if not horn loaded. I don't think my dad will argue that it "doesn't keep up". I have a Parts Express 500 W sub plate amp and a spare Adcom big regular SS amp to power a sub.

Endover is also looking for a good quality all in one receiver, processor, etc. I use an Onkyo 805 in my bedroom in NOLA. I suspect a similar option would be best for my dad and Endover too. I have an old Outlaw Audio 1050 AV Receiver ?c 2000, but it does not have any HDMI's, nor do my even older units from 20+ years ago. The Onkyo 805 does sound better than the OA, but I never figured out why. Any comments appreciated.

Not quite certain why all the chatter here following the sale though. Had others on the Forum previously heard or owned these puppies? The pics were accurate, they had lots of water stains, a few dings, etc, so not the prettiest, but no obvious deeper damage and the sound was sweetness - courtesy of John Lee Hooker on CD. I think we will cover the top and sides with some kind of cloth. So far, most folks that have seen then did not have any idea what the LaScala's are !!

FWIW: They do sound a bit "bright" compared to my late 1970s LaScalas with AA crossovers. These have the AL-3 crossovers with polypropylene resistors? vs Zener diodes in the AAs. I don't remember if my ALK Uni's have Zeners, but I don't think so. Endover though some of the "brightness" could be from using his HK receiver when I listened. However, I did not consider this to be bad per se. In fact, I suspect that those who comment positively about tweeter upgrades might appreciate it. It will be about 2 weeks before I really get to play with my JBL 2404s and Beyma CP 25s, much less the Altecs - 511s and 94Bs, back in LA (not L.A.). Also, these have a square and mod. larger K77 driver, a different ? wider but not too thick K55?M and a different squawker horn. These might also account for some differences vs my 1970s gear and explain the possible need for the different x-over.

We did not listen to stuff too loud as his family was around, but I thank Endover for inviting me into his house to check these out. (Hey, I missed the drum room...oh well). I did not listen too long either, just a few selections from a few CDs. I sort of feel that if the speakers you are auditioning or testing sound great on at least 1 particular piece of music, you are done. Besides I had a 2 hour drive ahead of me.

Merci bien, votre ami - NOLA