KT66

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"try Duelund Cast Copper"

That amount of money would buy me a new car for what Klipschorn crossover parts would run.

You can certainly say that again DJK! Hence one reason(the others being size and available values)for my caveat "if one can make them work". Fortunately I did not need many and the values were fairly small. I decided to use the funds I had saved for a used Marantz SACD player and man I gotta tell you I could not be happier. I can still do without digital when my analog rig sounds like it does. I know this may come off as somewhat extreme, but seldom do we run into a no-brainer in this hobby, yet that is exactly how I feel about jumping on the Duelund band wagon.

I've been to his site several times. At one point he was doing his evaluations using Magnepans, and I don't see how any of those opinions translate or correlate to horns. I only hear differences which I can state using general terms -- I read some of his stuff and I think he's a loon. The circuit dominates, the parts contribute, but not at the level of the circuit itself. I do agree that a certain type part can make the difference between something sounding good or sounding wonderful -- or that one type cap will work in some circuits better than it does in others. For example: the simple Type A and B (and probably the E, though I've never tried it) sound really nice with paper in oils. PIOs work really well in filters with a low part count, though I would not use them for some of the other things I buiid or any of Al's designs. So, making blanket statements about passive components is ridiculous to my way of thinking. Finally, there is nothing "ordinary" about the Theta, the Auricap is a phenomenal performer in filters, and as far as I'm concerned, nothing touches polystyrene as a coupling cap in tube amps. :P

Deano, you have got to try Duelund Cast Copper(CU) as coupling caps. I put them in my Dude linestage(2) and in the pCats(4) and I swear I will go toe to toe with anyone and scream at the top of my lunges they are THE BEST CAPS ON THE PLANET! Believe me I am not alone in this. The pCats came with Jensen Copper Foil PIO which are very, very nice caps but the Duelunds turned the pCats into something I would never have thought possible, OMG. Took my linestage which was already world class to a whole different level.

I have tried just about all the top rated caps(V-caps, Mundorf, AudioCap, Auricap, Obligato, etc., etc.) at one time or another and I have got to tell you it is not even close. No BS, they are that good. I cannot rave about them enough. I am not going to say they are not expensive and some values can be larger than a soft drink can but soundwise there is no equal. If one can make them work, search no more. I suggest EVERYONE at least look into them.

Good they may be so I'm rushing out to buy them .. in my private jet. Multiply by around 1.6 to convert to US$ , just make sure your investment doesn't melt in hot weather Icarus ![;)] They may be cheaper in the US but around here we always get ripped off not to say SHAFTED. To the mayority of us they will remain in the flooby dust category .

Duelund CAST copper and silver capacitors

Duelund CAST Copper Capacitors price list and sizes

So what you're telling me is that it's time for a network upgrade. Hey, let's go all the way, Dennis is gearing up to teach me how to battery bias filters, which takes four times the size of the normal values. You can take out a 2nd mortgage and have a "Crossover Room" built to pay and store them. 16 AWG zip code or coat hangers to connect are free. :)

You can look it up in Tony Gee's web site but he sure waxes lyrical about them ... just hope it doesn't sound better than a straight wire.

"

Sound:
The CAST capacitor has all the same characteristics as the VSF but with
added top-end clarity and together with that, more
spatiality. They are (like the VSF) super natural, smooth, clear and
open. The tonal balance is extremely neutral, especially audible with
good recordings of acoustic instruments and the human voice, so mainly
with classical music. Like the VSF the separation of the individual
instruments is very good and in an
orchestra, the string section is a group of individuals rather than
just a group. Soprano's have clarity without becoming hard to the ear,
wind instruments (especailly the copper section) have that nice "metal"
edge without becoming rough. Where in the past you had to choose between
a Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil
(very good depth and imaging) or a Duelund VSF (very neutral
presentation) you can now have the best of both worlds in the form of
the Duelund CAST-Cu. I did find they needed a couple of weeks use to
fully come to bloom, so give a chance to burn-in. My current reference!

Verdict: 14 "

the string section is a group of individuals rather than just a group

Yeah, well with my caps a group never sounds like a group but like a bunch of smaller groups.

Is this guy for real? Yeesh.

Well I did say he waxes lyrical. How can you describe sound quality in words? I suppose he's trying to say it sounds just like the real thing and all because of the differeence just one component makes, never mind that there are 100s of other run-of -the-mill capacitros at work too from mic to speakers and a spinning disc in between. Ludicrous or what? Thats HiFi for you.

Okay, you got me -- how do you describe the taste of chocolate ice cream? It ain't easy. That's why I stay with general statements about what I hear. The subtleties are practically impossible to describe, and when you attempt to do so, you sound like a complete idiot. I stick with things that are easily heard and easy to describe: warmth, clarity, brightness, glare, dynamics, microdynamics, transients (leading edge of notes, trailing edge of notes), imaging/soundstage, space between the instruments (if the recording is good enough to allow for that), background, and bloom (which is an odd one but I notice it). A loudspeaker, along with some other components are normally described with these terms -- passive components will contribute, detract, or exasperate. Sometimes we are just dealing with varying degrees of the same thing. Why not just carefully listen, nail the major characteristics for a description, and then give a personal preference. This guy is so over the top ridiculous I just can't take him seriously.

Well by the looks of it a few others on this very thread would like to borrow some of his lyrics .. and those that read HiFi review magazines should be used to it by now , nothing new silly? you bet its happening all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been three way all along. the K402 narrows at the top and I like the tinkles all over the room.

Lansing Forum , and one of the things I learned over there was that a lot, and I mean a lot of those guys ended up going three-way after trying their TADs and Be loaded JBL drivers in two-way configurations. There is no right or wrong here, it's just a choice dictated by preference. At any rate, I had no reservations at all about steering Jordan towards a three-way -- even with the TAD.

It's been a while. I just looked at the schematic -- I would say based on the primary high pass cap we are looking at 400Hz. Yes, the bass bin can go higher, but just because something can go higher doesn't mean that's the best way to go about it. Plenty of other factors come into play - phase, off-axis response, etc.

You forgot the SUPERIOR transient response of a compression driver vs. a woofer. part of the reason why I cross my K1133's at 300 with a single cap. In case you are worried about damage, my typical input is about 10 milliwatts at normal listening in my sweet spot.