Khorn tractrix upgrades and crossovers advice

KT66

Its been a long time since I last wrote in this forum but after years with stock khorns I'm getting interested in the horn upgrades available (e.g. Volti, Fastlane etc) so any feedback on them would be nice. Initially keeping the stock crossovers and drivers but feedback on the ALK , Volti,Reading Eng. would be useful for upgrading to 2" drivers later.

I think you should get K402's and an electronic Xover. You can EQ the Khorn bass to be close to the Jubilee bass everyone raves about with the K402. That would keep the upgrade KLIPSCH in the most critical area..the midrange.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----

I think you should get K402's and an electronic Xover. You can EQ the Khorn bass to be close to the Jubilee bass everyone raves about with the K402. That would keep the upgrade KLIPSCH in the most critical area..the midrange.

I agree the K-402 is a great idea. If that is too large, then a K-510 can sound quite good.

Regarding your other comment: The Klipschorn bass bin sounds good, but it is not a Jubilee. No amount of EQing is going to change that.

----

I agree the K-402 is a great idea. If that is too large, then a K-510 can sound quite good.

Regarding your other comment: The Klipschorn bass bin sounds good, but it is not a Jubilee. No amount of EQing is going to change that.

Would it take quit a bit of equing to get the K510 to work on the Khorn bass bin.

I suppose its time to say that I am going the Elliptrac 400 route, intitially using same driver complement, K55M & K77 with improved AL3s ( Mundorf caps and air core coils). The new horn will open up the way to 2" divers if I feel it is necessary, with new xo's of course. A step at a time.

As a two way, yes. Now, there is more than one way to do this - the 510 is not the only game in town. Before I say anything more, I need to talk to an old friend first.

What are you thinking, as I picked up a pair of those faital drivers and need to find a horn for them.

----

Would it take quit a bit of equing to get the K510 to work on the Khorn bass bin.

I agree the Khorn is not a Jubilee, but if he's already got a pair, he can still EQ the bass bin to make is sound much closer to a Jubilee. I heard the K510 and K402 horns with similar drivers, both on Jubilee bass bins. The K 402 sounds much better, but the 510 was surprisingly good for such a small horn.

The layout and values are correct. They were retrieved from my own Klipschorns and compared to the Klipsch AK-4 schematic years later. Got side tracked from dealing with the other issue - probably Saturday morning before I can deal with it, sorry!

Attached is the schematic to the AB3, it was the last network used in the Klipsch Belle before it was discontinued. Notice the same 10uF value.

Before I said anything about any of this I wanted to talk to a couple of people. I don't remember things as well as I used to and there are new drivers and horns being used that I don't know as much about as I should.

IF I were doing this, the only person building horns for sale that I would give my money to is Dave Harris. I would buy a pair of his finished Eliptrac 400 horns and a pair of the Faital Pro HF200 drivers from Bob (I guess he gets money too). I would just go two-way and be done with it. If after extended listening, I just felt like I had to have a tweeter, it wouldn't be all that difficult to add one. Speaking of tweeters, I've decided that I don't like the horizontal arrangement used by Al and Greg. I understand that it's the only way to fit everything into the top section, but it really messes with the polars/power response. Just go two-way and you don't have to worry about it. This driver/horn combination goes low enough, out far enough, and provides great coverage. What else could a person possibly want? Now, if you have to fill a space the size of a barn, I can see where the three-way with the BMS and Al's ESNs might be beneficial. I say "might". On this point I have no practical experience and therefore am not qualified to render any kind of solid opinion on the matter - I only know what I would do. There was some discussion related to the appropriate crossover for the Eliptrac/Faital combination. It's no secret that I'm not a big proponent of the "Hell, I've got a crossover, I'll just use this one" solution. Something simple will do, but something simple and right would be better. I have no idea if that's been done yet.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id107.html

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/144319/1477994.aspx#1477994

AB3.pdf

Good reply Dean really looking forward to getting the Elliptracs ordered two weeks ago. I started my Klpisch adventure with KLF30s ( and wished at the time I had not but it's a long story!) which had traxtrix horns that I liked. Curious to hear how the elliptrac will best the K401.

So if you are reading this thread Dave hope the horns are coming along on schedule [:D]

I spoke with Dave yesterday - he was at work. The guy works as a mechanic for Ford, which might really come in handy when I throw the rods in my 2013 Taurus. The beast thinks she's a Shelby Mustang.

Roy Delgado once remarked that the sound should be coming off the face of the horn in the same way a bubble leaves the surface of a bubble wand. Rectangular horns are a compromise -- there is no reason to use one unless you have to.

I would rather wait on something and have it done right than something done in a hurry just to see how fast it can make it out the door. Be patient, it will be worth it.

.. too true, and then is it two way or three way. There are a few two wayers on this forum that report good results.

I'm happy to consider moving to 2" which one ( Faital, BMS, B&C, etc) would be the real question. Once heard a JBL 2" driver on a two way Hartsfield with acoustic lens and all, very nice Haven't seen a pic of an elliptrac on a Khorn yet!