Khorn tractrix upgrades and crossovers advice

KT66

Its been a long time since I last wrote in this forum but after years with stock khorns I'm getting interested in the horn upgrades available (e.g. Volti, Fastlane etc) so any feedback on them would be nice. Initially keeping the stock crossovers and drivers but feedback on the ALK , Volti,Reading Eng. would be useful for upgrading to 2" drivers later.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a diy tractrix in Khorns and really loved how they open up the sound. Also currently have daves fastlane horn in la scalas.

experimented with ALK universal crossovers and Beyma tweeters in Khorns and LaScala they were nice. My personal peference and current configuration has been to use Crites Type A/4500 crossovers and CT-125 tweeters. To my ears, that's the best my Khorns and LaScalas have ever sounded. The K-55 crossed at 4500 instead of driving it to poop out at 6000hz is a much sweeter mid IMO.

I've done both upgrades using the stock K-55 drivers with tratrix horns and 2 inch Selenium D-405 drivers with bigger tratrix horns. My experience is that you will hear a marked improvement over the stock setup. I've built my own tratrix horns, but the people you mentioned are very respected for their products.

I would suggest you contact Dave at Fastlane or Greg at Volti personally to discuss what direction you want to go. Both guys are very helpful and easy to talk to.

OK guys thanks for the comments any V-Trac users out there - are the JBL2482 still available?

JBL 2482 are vintage 2" compression midrange drivers. They can be found in working order or renovated into working order. They're on the large side of things. You can find their specs on the JBL website under their discontinued products.

Hi

I built a few tratrix horns then found these http://www.azurahorn.com/ 10 minutes away from where I live! I used different lengths to try a few things out with the stock K55 (have 2004 horns AK-4) and Altec 288's with imporved success over std config.. Now am using Altec 291 with Bob Crites tweet or the K77F (in vertical). Thanks to Bob's help I built an Lpad (fixed resistors) to suit the 291's and what a sound with the Le Cléac’h...it has become a very revealing combination and the AK-4 has not gotten in the way. I can hear mic shifts and front to back is more isolating than the stuff I have built.

Good luck with your quest

Steve

Hi

I built a few tratrix horns then found these http://www.azurahorn.com/ 10 minutes away from where I live! I used different lengths to try a few things out with the stock K55 (have 2004 horns AK-4) and Altec 288's with imporved success over std config.. Now am using Altec 291 with Bob Crites tweet or the K77F (in vertical). Thanks to Bob's help I built an Lpad (fixed resistors) to suit the 291's and what a sound with the Le Cléach...it has become a very revealing combination and the AK-4 has not gotten in the way. I can hear mic shifts and front to back is more isolating than the stuff I have built.

Steve

I had been after Martin's 160 horn for a long time. I was never able to get a pair in the states. Having a set shipped from down under is just cost prohibitive these days.

I expect the Le Cleach is a great sounding horn. If you ever get bored, try an active crossover and a two way set up with the 160 Azurahorn.

Like red wine 'your cup is to your taste my cup is to mine' there is no mud!

As soon as you use change horns, drivers, or both -- your stock crossover is no longer the correct crossover. Both the AK-4 and AK-5 have EQ built into them that are specific to the stock drivers/horns.

Dean 'As soon as you use change horns, drivers, or both -- your stock crossover is no longer the correct crossover. Both the AK-4 and AK-5 have EQ built into them that are specific to the stock drivers/horns'.

My ears don't seem to recognise that the crossover is no longer correct? I must be stupid!

Hi

I built a few tratrix horns then found these http://www.azurahorn.com/ 10 minutes away from where I live! I used different lengths to try a few things out with the stock K55 (have 2004 horns AK-4) and Altec 288's with imporved success over std config.. Now am using Altec 291 with Bob Crites tweet or the K77F (in vertical). Thanks to Bob's help I built an Lpad (fixed resistors) to suit the 291's and what a sound with the Le Cléac’h...it has become a very revealing combination and the AK-4 has not gotten in the way. I can hear mic shifts and front to back is more isolating than the stuff I have built.

Steve

I had been after Martin's 160 horn for a long time. I was never able to get a pair in the states. Having a set shipped from down under is just cost prohibitive these days.

I expect the Le Cleach is a great sounding horn. If you ever get bored, try an active crossover and a two way set up with the 160 Azurahorn.

Yeah, the cost of freight to/from can be a big disincentive!

Well, they are not the same.

The current tweeter is the K-77-F, which I think is made in the Philippines. It is not quite the same as the EV K-77-M or the older K-77 (University T-35). There is something in the response specific to that driver that is accounted for in the new crossover that is not applicable to the other versions. The K-55 is even more problematic since there are actually four older versions of that driver: the University SAFH, the Atlas PD5-VH/K-55-V with single phase plug (easily identified by its spring loaded terminals), the reworked version of the Atlas PD5-VH/K-55-V with dual phase plug (identified by its soldered lug/terminals), and the Electrovoice 1829/K-55-M with dual phase plug (plastic cap, soldered lugs). The single phase plug versions get out to about 4.7kHz while the dual phase plug versions are solid out to 6kHz. The "new" K-55-X, made by Atlas, is basically the same as the original Atlas PD5-VH except the diaphragms aren't 40 years old. So, for these reasons -- the crossover upgrade kit includes two new tweeters and two new midrange drivers.

Also, the closer the crossover is modeled to account for abberations in the response/specific behavior of the drivers and horns, the harder it is to get away with things. For example, Bob and myself have no problem selling Type A and Type AA crossovers to people running the two 'V' versions and the EV 'M' version. The actual difference in output between those drivers varies by less than 1.5dB, and the filters employ no EQ (traps). When things don't vary much, and the crossovers are simple -- you can cheat a little bit.

Its been a long time since I last wrote in this forum but after years with stock khorns I'm getting interested in the horn upgrades available (e.g. Volti, Fastlane etc) so any feedback on them would be nice. Initially keeping the stock crossovers and drivers but feedback on the ALK , Volti,Reading Eng. would be useful for upgrading to 2" drivers later.

I think you should get K402's and an electronic Xover. You can EQ the Khorn bass to be close to the Jubilee bass everyone raves about with the K402. That would keep the upgrade KLIPSCH in the most critical area..the midrange.