Sound Stage Set!! Time for a Television Upgrade.....????

troy2003

Well after some major deal searching and gold mining some qaulity Reference speakers off of craigslist and ect the past year, I have come to build quite an impressive 7.1 setup (by my standards [8-|]). I also scored a sweet deal on the Onkyo 717 and took advantage of Emotiva's sale and grabbed the xpa-5 before it disappeared. Now that I have stepped out from Quintet II's to all Reference it is finally time for the final peice of the puzzle. I am currently running a toshiba 55" 1080p 120 hz LCD so pretty much anything that is out now would be a huge upgrade. I have been eyeballing the Samsung UN55ES8000 and now that it is 1899.00 at bestbuy and they will price match amazons 1649.00 price, the trigger finger is itching. My question is, are there any other comparable options out there for that price point or is the 55ES8000 just loaded with way too many features for how low the price has finally dropped on this tv?. Keep in mind I am wanting 3D, built in wi-fi smart, 240 hz and 55" or 60"....Im not sure if i am opposed to plasma because we have got a sliding glass door oppostie of where the tv sits and the sun gets quite bright here in Florida.

Well you got a great set up going. Plasma has a great picture but light can cause some reflections. It's sacrifice a little pic quality or see more reflections. I really dislike reflection so for me mostly lcd but plasma is great in my bedroom at night. Good Luck.

Goodness Im on the fence with plasma and led/lcd. The Panny plasmas are unbelievably nice but like others have said I cant stand the glare/reflection. I still own the coveted Pioneer Elite Pro 151FD 60 Plasma down in the living room and cannot help loving that Plasma TV. For the theater room I use the new Elite PRO70 70 Led and I have to say the black levels and everything I loved from plasma has been retained with this set. It is extremely expensive but was worth it to me. If you are going to do a lot of viewing during the day etc. dont shy away from the Samsungs they have great picture and I also like LG. but if you plan to watch mainly at night that plasmas smooth natural deep colors will be wonderful. If I were you in this situation id go LED for the room though after seeing both Samsung and LGs 3d LG would be my choice.

Congrats on the refrence setup [:)]

How I envy you right now Troy. I am in a similar position. I have had Quintets for almost 10 years and I am planning to upgrade to the reference line. I would have upgraded years ago but I am in real estate and I don't have to explain how that has gone. I am looking at the same speaker set you are getting. I picked up the receiver the other day (Pioneer Elite VSX53) because of the huge discount. I am looking at picking up the towers and center in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can pick up all 3 and not just the towers. I have to crunch a few numbers first. After so many years of waiting it's finally going to happen.

How I envy you right now Troy. I am in a similar position. I have had Quintets for almost 10 years and I am planning to upgrade to the reference line. I would have upgraded years ago but I am in real estate and I don't have to explain how that has gone. I am looking at the same speaker set you are getting. I picked up the receiver the other day (Pioneer Elite VSX53) because of the huge discount. I am looking at picking up the towers and center in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can pick up all 3 and not just the towers. I have to crunch a few numbers first. After so many years of waiting it's finally going to happen.

Thanks man i love it, you will see what youve been missing the minute you watch a quality bluray at a good volume level.

Goodness Im on the fence with plasma and led/lcd. The Panny plasmas are unbelievably nice but like others have said I cant stand the glare/reflection. I still own the coveted Pioneer Elite Pro 151FD 60 Plasma down in the living room and cannot help loving that Plasma TV. For the theater room I use the new Elite PRO70 70 Led and I have to say the black levels and everything I loved from plasma has been retained with this set. It is extremely expensive but was worth it to me. If you are going to do a lot of viewing during the day etc. dont shy away from the Samsungs they have great picture and I also like LG. but if you plan to watch mainly at night that plasmas smooth natural deep colors will be wonderful. If I were you in this situation id go LED for the room though after seeing both Samsung and LGs 3d LG would be my choice.

Congrats on the refrence setup Smile

Hmmmmm, never loomed at LG yet, i will definately check them out. All i know is in my research it seems the 8000 is ahead of its time with all of its bells and whistles, thanks for the heads up though, food for my thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we were cruising through the Atlanta area yesterday on our way back to Fla from Charlotte and my eye spied A Fry's I debated and then we turned around and stopped with no intention of buying but just pricing. Long story short after debating Panasonics new Viera and Sammys UN60ES7500 we walked out with the Sammy for $2100 3 year Fry's warranty included. It is getting wired up tonight and I plan on messing with it to see what it is capable of. Yes I already know not to be prepared to be impressed with the motion activation which is no big deal because the Viera did not have this feature anyways, but the picture on both were on par with each other so that is where the decision came from...I will update this thread with my reveiew in a few weeks.

Congrats on the new TV. I have two Sammy TV and 2 BDP. The 3D pic is excellent and the AllShare feature is a winner.

Thats good to know, I may have to pick your brain a bit in time if you dont mind, just to get familiar with this TV and its capabilities. How is firmware updating on these TV's? I ask because I have read a few isolated reports of issues with the set powering on and off after firmware updates (Of coarse in my few months of research on these Sammy's the reports did not pop up until now, after I purchased)

Does anybody know how to get surround audio out of my netflix app that I initiate through my tv?. When I choose the netflix app it continues to play the sound from the cable box. Will I need to run another hdmi cable simply from hdmi (tv) to hdmi (receiver) to get netflix sound? Im confused. To me it would seem the the tv is the audio source (like the satellite box, bluray player and xbox) so I would run hdmi from the tv (out) to receiver (in) am I correct with that?

Does anybody know how to get surround audio out of my netflix app that I initiate through my tv?. When I choose the netflix app it continues to play the sound from the cable box. Will I need to run another hdmi cable simply from hdmi (tv) to hdmi (receiver) to get netflix sound? Im confused. To me it would seem the the tv is the audio source (like the satellite box, bluray player and xbox) so I would run hdmi from the tv (out) to receiver (in) am I correct with that?

Sounds like you have the cable box hooked up to your AVR and to your TV. The cable box is your source. Run HDMI from the cable box to your AVR, then HDMI from your AVR to your TV. You should have video AND surround to your speakers.

Panasonic, Samsung, and Sharp are all tv's I considered purchasing. I ended up with my Panasonic GT50 and have no regrets, it is easily THE best tv I have ever owned. Since you have a lighting situation an LED would probably be the way to go. Samsung and Sharp both make quality LEDs IMO. I wasn't a big fan of Panasonics LED's, the didn't look as bright, and I felt the Samsung LED's near by just had a sharper image. I don't know where you plan on buying your set from, but if its BB, they will price match Amazon without too much hassle, that's what I ended up doing with my plasma. Also if you get your set from BB they will throw in a free TV calibration, which I think I think will make a pretty noticeable difference in PQ.

Sounds like you have the cable box hooked up to your AVR and to your TV. The cable box is your source. Run HDMI from the cable box to your AVR, then HDMI from your AVR to your TV. You should have video AND surround to your speakers.

All of my audio sources (satellite, xbox and bluray) are hooked up with hdmi "in" to my avr, I then have a single hdmi from avr output to hdmi input on the television. So if i understand you correctly my setup is already hooked up the way you suggested. This seems to me to be why i get surround from all of my audio sources (satellite, xbox and bluray) but my television is not running an hdmi output to my avr to be an audio source when i am running apps from the smart hub. When I am running the smart hub my satellite box is no longer my audio source, correct? now my audio source should be the television itself in turn requiring an hdmi hookup from the television out to avr hdmi in.

All of my audio sources (satellite, xbox and bluray) are hooked up with hdmi "in" to my avr, I then have a single hdmi from avr output to hdmi input on the television. So if i understand you correctly my setup is already hooked up the way you suggested. This seems to me to be why i get surround from all of my audio sources (satellite, xbox and bluray) but my television is not running an hdmi output to my avr to be an audio source when i am running apps from the smart hub. When I am running the smart hub my satellite box is no longer my audio source, correct? now my audio source should be the television itself in turn requiring an hdmi hookup from the television out to avr hdmi in.

I gotcha! You are correct. You need to select TV on your AVR to get surround audio from your TV to play on your speakers.