The art of flight

Scrappydue

So I recently have been attending demos with some avs guys to hear different jtr speakers. Well everyone I have been to they have all had this same movie. It's called "Art of Flight". It's a blu ray disc documentary like film about some snowboarding guys with obscene amounts of money, sponsors, red bull helicopter at their disposal, and so on. The cool thing about it is that it lots of slow motion camera work and the cinema photography on it is just unreal. The 158" screen I seen it on with jtr noesis 212's and a seaton submersive was quite impressive. The music in it is just awesome! The lfe is unreal at points! Top of the list for my showing content. Specifically scene 2 at reference volume and not a bit less. I went to one demo where this was last on the list and we watched about half the song at reference with the guys subs 8db hot and went to +8.5 on the volume just to see what the jtr captivators were capable of. Man it was unreal! Couldn't have handled much more as +8 is just ridiculously loud. However just when I was about to ask him to turn it down, BOOM! Blew the whole house breakers! It was awesome. Perfect way to end the evening. I can officially say I was blown away at that demo. Anyways just thought I would throw this little disc review out so maybe this forum could check that disc out. I know youthman has already jumped on the train. And he will be glad he did.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered it, thanks for the heads up! I'm always looking for great Blu-rays! I as well have been following the JTRs, seems like a lot of people are loving them, what really caught my attention was the guy that went from Revel Ultima Salon 2s to the JTRs and said it was an upgrade!

Just ordered it, thanks for the heads up! I'm always looking for great Blu-rays! I as well have been following the JTRs, seems like a lot of people are loving them, what really caught my attention was the guy that went from Revel Ultima Salon 2s to the JTRs and said it was an upgrade!

that alone should mean alot as well. But after hearing the new noesis 212's with a submersive Hp and the new noesis 228's with dual captivators I am debating on either adding a third rf-63 or switching brands for the main theater. I love my 63's and I don't feel they have an issue in my room with reference levels but I do feel on some movies that the center channel starts to get a little harsh at that high of volumes. The jtr's I went to hear were not like that at all. Makes watching that loud much more enjoyable. Other thing I gotta figure out is if I think it's worth the upgrade to watch at reference once in a while cause by no means would I sit with my wife and kid and watch a whole movie at reference. That may change once I get a dedicated theater but I doubt it. Maybe youth could chime in and let me know his listening habits most of the time in his theater.

Just be mindful that what you heard over there was the sum result of an entire system, not just the JTR.

Source + room + placement + amps + DSP + subwoofers + speakers + preference

Simply switching speaker brands won't guarantee the same performance .

When's the last time you've been to someone's place that has a Heritage or THX setup dialed-in for HT?

Hertiage never. Thx at a high end store in Oregon. About 8 months ago. Maybe longer. It was nice but not any better than what I already have. And the svs ultras murder the thx subs IMO. Now as to your points the first demo was with the big noesis. Room was big placement was optimal, single sub, only running on avr power, and calibrated fully flat just like I like it. Nothing hot on the gain. The compression driver alone in the 212's cost 700$. That alon will say that it is quite a bit more powerful driver than what is in my 63's. so that setup I expected to sound better as its JTR's top of the line speakers. Now the second demo I went to was a basement with lots of reflective surfaces. Descent placement but sat only 10 feet away which I thought was way too close. And he also didnt have the matching center yet. He was using an Ed cinema 12. But the volume was just so much more effortless and even at EXTREMELY loud volumes they JTR's played nice. Don't get me wrong like I said I love my rf-63's. but lately when I have been watching demo scenes at super high volumes I have noticed my speakers getting a little hot on the high end of the spectrum. Now would an eq fix this? Maybe but I don't wanna tweak my stuff all the time if I wanna play louder then re tweak when I go back down.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definately pick this one up. The preview Youth posted in a different thread looks crazy!

Reminds me of a good documentary called Riding Giants, came out about 10 years ago. It walks through the beginnings of surfing to nowadays. The audio is good.....nothing to scream about but it's filmed very well.

Don't mean to hijack......back to it.

I have been watching demo scenes at super high volumes I have noticed my speakers getting a little hot on the high end of the spectrum. Now would an eq fix this?

That sounds like room interaction where the LF and HF are loosing their balance. It is not unusal to find a 3-6 db difference somethimes at that volume. As for watching at Reference level, my guess is that most of don't listen that loud. A HT is different than at the movie theater. I like -15 thru -20 which is plenty loud and comfortable at the same time for BD/DVD's. Sometime I find myself adjusting the volume after the movie because the regular tv volume of -30 seems a little low and I know it is from listening to the loud DVD/BD. .One thing I have noticed, DVD's seem louder than BD most of the time.

I have been watching demo scenes at super high volumes I have noticed my speakers getting a little hot on the high end of the spectrum. Now would an eq fix this?

That sounds like room interaction where the LF and HF are loosing their balance. It is not unusal to find a 3-6 db difference somethimes at that volume. As for watching at Reference level, my guess is that most of don't listen that loud. A HT is different than at the movie theater. I like -15 thru -20 which is plenty loud and comfortable at the same time for BD/DVD's. Sometime I find myself adjusting the volume after the movie because the regular tv volume of -30 seems a little low and I know it is from listening to the loud DVD/BD. .One thing I have noticed, DVD's seem louder than BD most of the time.

you are the only person I have ever heard say that (besides myself) DVD seems a bit louder than blu ray but the sound is no where near on par as quality goes. Anyways yeah if I'm with the wife I watch between -20 and -15 on regular movies. -10 on something with action on it and my kid isn't in the room and if I'm by myself I watch from -10 to -5 but occasionally venture into reference. I have a lot more recently though now that my stuff isn't in a 10x10 bedroom anymore.

Scrappy I can kind of understand what you mean. My 83s and 64 at reference volume were a little on the harsh side but still sounded great. Now that I have dialed in my THX setup for about 3 weeks I can say it definitely at high volumes has more detail, no harshness and astounding power and quality. Also I would agree with you the SVS dual 13s were better than 2 THX KW-120s having owned ultra 13s. when I upgraded to 4 KW-120s and 2 KA-1000s thats a different story. Just my 2 cents though. My room went some extreme changes though adding acoustics, upgrading to the full THX line adding separate amps and adding more KW-120s made the cinematic world a 180 degrees. Still miss the way music sounded on my 83s but movies are surreal. I wonder what that THX setup you listned to was using to power them

That's weird I have read tons of people saying they preferred a single ultra over a pair of the thx subs. The thx setup I heard was powered by the top of the line last year pioneer elite model. It sounded good but I didn't think it sounded any better than my setup therefor not justifying the price difference. I have read tons of reviews of people going from the thx ultra to the jtr speakers and being so much happier. But each persons ears are so different reviews aren't concrete at all to me. But after hearing them and hearing the thx ultra setup I don't find that so hard to believe anymore. The only thing jtr doesn't seem to have going for them is their looks. And that for me is part of the package when you are married. It all depends on if I have room for a false wall. If so then I will probably change my main theater to jtr speakers. And of course that will mean new subs and all. When does it stop.....lol

Just ordered Scrappy. Can't wait!

Do yourself a favor Scrappy and ditch the dual SVS Ultras for Dual Rythmik FV15HP's. That way you don't have to worry about your RF-63's in cherry matching your cherry Ultras;)

I tried a single sub than the pair of thx subs then all 4 with 2 KA-1000 amps and def. prefer all 4 with 2 sub amps. It has plenty of nice quality bass deep and resonant then when needed can push you back in the seats when called to arms. 1 sounded really nice and blended easily with the 83s. 2 thx subs definitely had more authority but was more localized and I could tell where the bass was. 4 THX subs equaled out the localization definitely but still retained the punch and power of the 2 THX subs and increased that even more. Have never heard the JTR speaks but Im sure they are nice. I have the pioneer elite from last year and definitely enjoy it paired with my 83 setup but prefer the control and headroom now with the Anthem powering the THX setup. I wouldnt say I prefer the THX setup out right but they do handle high volumes much better than my 83s. also the THX setup seems to have a very large sound like the actual theater which I assume is what they were built for. I know when I listened to movies up loud with my 83 setup they could sound a little harsh and almost hurt the ears but were still amazing speakers and I miss seeing those tall towers.

Just ordered Scrappy. Can't wait!

Do yourself a favor Scrappy and ditch the dual SVS Ultras for Dual Rythmik FV15HP's. That way you don't have to worry about your RF-63's in cherry matching your cherry Ultras;)

cant do that. Gotta upgrade if I'm changing. Would only go to seaton submersive or jtr captivators. But won't change subs till I am in my permanent home and figure out if the ultras will have a problem reaching reference levels at the LP. THEY SURE DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY 13x17 living room right now. And I was gonna make a new video for you on YouTube so you can hear the rc-64 instead of the 62 lol