How to connect pro 2 ch amp to AVR?

HOGFAN

I would like to power my front L/R speakers with a 2 channel pro amp, but leave the center and surrounds powered by the avr....while having the avr acts as overall pre-amp. Is this possible? My avr has pre-out connections. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hogfan

See if it hums with the amp on, preamp off and RCA's disconnected.

It doesn't hum under this scenario. But, when I connect the RCA cables and power on the preamp, the hum starts...in both speakers, with the amp volume at zero... And gets louder with increased volume. I just did the auto calibration, before trying this. What now? Thx!

Are the RCA's lying across any power cords?

I'm sure they are, as my wires/power cords behind my reciever and amp look like a spider web. I'll work on cleaning these up a bit.....and trying to separate the RCA cables a little.

Gotcha on the cheater plug...yes, I have one of them. Will give it a try.

Thanks for you help!

Hogfan

Cheater plug bypasses the ground in the plug.

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&c220px-Cheater_plug_edited.jpg

Funny, when I did a Google search for cheater plug, this also pulled up. LOL

finger-in-socket-1.jpg

The cheater plug worked! Thanks for all your help....much appreciated! I love this forum....lots of outstanding people here that will help you out in a heartbeat. Can't beat it!

Furthermore, what a difference the QSC pro amp made to my main towers (RF-7's)...wow wow wow!! These bad boys needed the extra juice my HK avr could not deliver. They now sound fuller, cleaner and more open.

Hogfan

Adding an outboard amp to an AVR, esp when you already own the amp, is an inexpensive way to seriously upgrade the quality of the sound. My HT runs 2 ob amps, one for mains and one for sides, letting the AVR run the center and rears, there are no issues with the sound now.

I only wish it were that easy with my "den" or 2 ch room. I added a flat screen in there just to give me something to look at, then I added the flat screen to my sat tv setup, there is a ground loop someplace in the sat system. I have to unhook the HDMI from the TV when using the 2 ch rig, otherwise, I run all audio through the 2ch amp setup. Only the sat has the humm, CD, DVD, GAME, TUNER, TT, COMPUTER all work fine, only the sat box has a problem, an anoying 60 cycle problem!

If you ran RCA's from pre-amp to amp, move them away from any power cables. If that doesn't work, try a cheater plug on your amp to see if it's a ground loop hum.

Thank you for the tip! It completely eliminated the hum from my EP4000/sub setup and I finally get to enjoy a little more oomph in the low end. Brilliant!