Finally had it with Windows. I'm done.

last week I received a nice pair of Dell Ultrasharp monitors. They're a real pleasure to work with.

The Dell Ultrasharp monitors are really, really nice. I'm still using a 19" model (six years old). Our school tends to get the cheaper models when we order with new PCs, but I always encourage my boss to get the better models.

Bruce

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open Office is now managed by Sun/Oracle. We'll see how long that stays free.

Libre Office is the same code base and is what I use at home, and ver. 4.x supports all the MS versions.

Bruce

I use Libre Office on Open SuSE. Virtual Box is managed by Oracle, too and it is also free. -Glenn

I tried Open Office a couple of times. It's decent as a freebie, but when you have some power-techniques you use in Word, OO falls flat. Once you spend a lot of time really going through Word and seeing what all it can do, you come to findthat MS really does rule the roost and $200 for MS Office is cheap as dirt. We used to groan years back to pay $495 for WordPerfect DOS by itself.

I tried Open Office a couple of times. It's decent as a freebie, but when you have some power-techniques you use in Word, OO falls flat. Once you spend a lot of time really going through Word and seeing what all it can do, you come to findthat MS really does rule the roost and $200 for MS Office is cheap as dirt. We used to groan years back to pay $495 for WordPerfect DOS by itself.

Yea, I like Office libre. The latest version is very nice. It works very well, but I need to be able to redline and work with charts, etc. for my docuemnts. I don't know if Office libre has a redline function that will work if other open it in word.

I have office 2003, and tried the newer version and just do not like the location of the various functions. I have certain tools that have been in the same place for 20 years that I have trouble finding in the newer version. I just want to be able to program my icons and be done. There are about 20 that I need and that is it.

The good news is that wine allows Linux to run Word and Excel without issue (or so they say). I also need Outlook. If all three work I am all set.

The sad thing is that I support 12 windows servers and close to 300 windows desktops on various networks. I NEED Windows to be good. I'm on Windows 7 for a while. I wish they would come to the realization Apple did and start their OS from Scratch. They have the resourses and money to develop the next great Operating System. Or are they too much of a bureaucratic leviathan to turn it around. For this to happen I think they need a new CEO as Balmer needs to go away and I'd even be happy to see Gates come back but he seems to be enjoying life instead lol....

The sad thing is that I support 12 windows servers and close to 300 windows desktops on various networks. I NEED Windows to be good. I'm on Windows 7 for a while. I wish they would come to the realization Apple did and start their OS from Scratch. They have the resourses and money to develop the next great Operating System. Or are they too much of a bureaucratic leviathan to turn it around. For this to happen I think they need a new CEO as Balmer needs to go away and I'd even be happy to see Gates come back but he seems to be enjoying life instead lol....

In retrospect this is funny. When I bought my server (around 2008) I remember thinking "Thank god it has MS Server on it" because I didn't want to have to mess around with that goofy Linux stuff. I have no complaints with my server, seems to work very well and has a nice interface.

If MS was to start from scratch they could get the boot times way down. Maybe they could put all of the bloat in a repository like linux where you download what you need. WHo am I kidding, they would charge by the minute for the downloads.

In the end they wouyld screw it up and we all know it.