RF-62 II sounding flat

slrnarn

Hi,

This is my first post. I recently replaced my polk rti speakers and bought a couple of RF-52 II and RC-52 II center for a 3.1 setup (will add the surrounds later). I also have a Velodyne Impact 10 Sub. I am powering them using the Yamaha RX-V663 reciever. After listening to them couple of days, I felt my room was big enough for the RF-62 's and went ahead and exchanged the 52's with 62's (all three). When I connected the RF-62's, they were not as loud as the 52's at the same volume.. so my question is - is this normal? Do I have to increase the volume to get the same output from the speakers? I thought the otherway was true that larger speakers will sound louder/brighter at same volume than smaller ones.

I have set all 3 speakers to large in the reciever setup and I used the Yamaha auto setup with mic to setup the system. Then manually went and increased the center speaker level in the reciever menu.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

SL

Perhaps this has to do with the power handling difference of the two speakers. The RF-52 is 100W and the RF-62 is 125W.

In my case I thought I had pretty good sound on my RF-82s using a 110W amp Pioneer VSX-52. I could not have been more wrong. Once I moved to a pre/pro combination with using a Emotiva XPA-5 amp the speakers really opened up and the difference was remarkable.

Thanks for the quick reply, I was probably expecting a big sound from the RF-62's, but I have to say, I am getting used to it and it could be the content I was hearing (espn basketball game). I heard some dialogue's from a blu-ray disc and the center was amazingly crisp and clear (theater like). Music sounds great too. So I am not unhappy with the RF-62's, just was curious to know should I have expected the same or louder sound from the RF-62's than RF-52's at the same volume level.

Had called Klipsch support to check if this was normal and the guy said to give it a couple of days for it break-in and you will see some difference and probably I was comparing the last sound of RF-52's to the first sound of RF-62's (if there is such a thing as breaking in of speakers)

If you changed nothing then the 62 should be louder. And I have 42,52,62,82,63's and I can assure you that from 52 to 62 is by for the biggest difference in the line up. I run my 62 home theatre with a small denon and they are awesome! Everyone that comes to my house can't believe that it's my small home theater lol. I would reccomend setting all the speakers to small though if you have a sub. Running everything on large outs a ton or strain on the receiver amps.

I just received my RC62ii a couple days ago. I had a RC52ii before. I also noticed a drop in volume level. I changed nothing and didnt rerun audyssey either. Its obvious it needs more power to open up. I did rerun audyssey and its still the same. Time to upgrade my AVR lol.

My RX-V663 already has pre outs, but never used them, part of the problem is don't really know how to. But will try to read about and see what I need to buy to use the pre outs.

You need an amp. Then, connect RCA cables to the pre outs and the other ends to the amp. Connect speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. Kick back and enjoy. [;)]

Now, do you have any amps to recommend which is not too expensive but gets the job done well enough?

This is a steal for a very powerful 5-channel amp.

http://monterey.craigslist.org/ele/3714856325.html

Youthman has one and is very pleased with it driving his RF-83 system.

http://www.parasound.com/vintage/hca2205a.php

This monster amp retailed for $2500.00.

Bill