Projector help for a noob

MichaelandKlipsch

When i painted my room it took a while to like it but when i got the projector going i was glad i did. You will see what i mean. Anything you see in the room other than whats on the screen is reflecting back on the screen and taking away pq (blacks and contrast). The jvc is the black king so you can get away with some though. I still have lots of stuff in my room i should paint (like doors and trim). I just ordred black ht drapes to go around the screen so that will help too.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Projector and Cinescope 115in screen are out for delivery. Going to be an exciting evening. Ill post pics of the equipment but wont have a change to install till this weekend and most likely next week. Gotta move that 70 behemoth down over the fireplace first just need someone to help me move it. Ill at least take out the projector and screen to check them out and get the screen mounted. Building the recessed alcove will take time so Ill save that for next week. Super excited!!! Youth dont judge I dont have your photography skills or camera Heh.

Hey Reference, if you dont mind would you post a few pics of your room and screen etc. on this thread. Just really would love to see your setup. I can barley see it in your avatar but it looks neat and would like to take a closer look. The other thing is where did you order your home theater drapes for the screen. I too am thinking of doing this but was interested where you got them. Post a link if you dont mind. Thanks man.

ead through your entire post. Was neat as it is almost as if I am experience it just the same lol. cant wait to see what watching 115 screen in complete darkness (aside from my equipment lighting) is like. I told youth earlier the 3 KL-650 THX speaks were remounted after painting the ceiling+angled ceiling black. They vanish into the wall where you can only see them if I turn the lights on fully with them dimmed down or off you can see them. At first I missed seeing them but after being up there the past few nights planning for the projector I like the fact you cant see where sound is coming from. feels more like Im at the movies since their speakers are behind screen etc. Adding the 115 should definitely add to the at the movies feel and I got my popcorn machine coming for the bottom of the stair case. Im seriously thinking of adding theater curtains around the screen once mounted but not sure if it will be needed. As of now I moved my 2 acoustic panels to my back wall and sides of the room. I now have 13 panels 6 on the back wall 4 on both the sides and 2 next to the screen and I ordered a small 24x24 to go above the projector alcove. The only light color in the room is about 6 inches of wall space in-between the black micro suede acoustic panels. I seriously doubt Ill be painting the walls and just leave the ceiling black had enough painting for a longggg time. I dont have a motorized screen as you do rather a fixed frame to be mounted to the wall and it comes with black velvet 2 border around the frame. The frame is 48.5 high and 110 wide which would bring the sides of the frame just to the acoustic panels and the top will be about 1 from the angeled ceiling and the bottom about 1 above the 4 THX kw-120 subwoofers. Didnt leave much room for error lol. If I do the curtain Ill have to move my panels over to the appropriate distance and get it custom cut to fit just above the THX subs. Id also like it automated so it would open and close at the touch of a button. Going to start looking around for this.

Should certainly feel like an IMAX experience with my viewing distance being about 11 feet away. The back wall to front is 11.8 feet and the projector will be recessed abou 3-4 feet to give me my proper throw distance. Really dont know the exact amount on a 115 2:35:1 screen yet. I emailed Mike @ avs hoping for an answer soon and a proper height for the projector as well. From my understanding it should be within 13 inches from the top of the screen on my back wall.

All this talk of installation height, throw distance, building recessed alcoves, mounting the screen, the real dilemma isnt the work its what the heck am I going to watch for opening night LOL. Seriously thought of watching Alien + Aliens as those are 2 of my favorites and Jurassic park but I remembered all of those are filmed @ 1:78:1 so def. going to watch those at a later time. Alien is 2:40:1 but aliens My fav. Is 1:85:1 L I used to love watching 1:85 films on the Elite The only other favorite is Raiders of the lost ark that comes to mind which I believe is 2:40:1 so that may be a go or just go straight for the jugular and pop in A new hope/empire strikes back/ return of the Jedi @ reference volume with the THX setup and 4 THX subs with the new screen may be in a comatose state. If you guys dont hear from me on the forum for a while may be due to my admission to St. Francis Marion hospital down the street lol.

I have raiders and i would give it good but not great video and great audio. I think they gave it 4 out of 5 for video. On the 70" a 4 can look as good as a 5 somtimes but on a big screen you will see that extra point big time. Not saying it looks bad (it will still blow you away) but if you want somthing reference grade for the first movie go to blu ray,com and see what the movies you have got for ratings and pop in a 5 for video. (your going to buy so many movies lmao)

Im sitting pretty at 3200+ blurays right now well including some dvds too about half bluray half dvd. I have actually stopped buying so much as I dont have time to watch them enough anyway. Last movies I actually purchased were the dark knight rises, skyfall, dredd3d and Lincoln. Trying to go back and re-watch things but like you said Im looking forward to experiencing it all over again as if for the first time on that big of a screen.

I’m sitting pretty at 3200+ blurays right now well including some dvds too about half bluray half dvd. I have actually stopped buying so much as I don’t have time to watch them enough anyway. Last movies I actually purchased were the dark knight rises, skyfall, dredd3d and Lincoln. Trying to go back and re-watch things but like you said I’m looking forward to experiencing it all over again as if for the first time on that big of a screen.

3200 movies! Wow awsome ok i will shut up then lol[:$]. Do you have a gallery on there? heres a link to mine.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Reference_head

How does the jvc handle aspect shifts such as imax scenes I.e. the dark knight?

Not that great with a projector scope screen. Because if you zoom it out for the 2.35 stuff then when it goes to 1.78 it zooms out and its all off the top and bottom because the black bars fill with content. Its a draw back for sure. You can try it that way (like i did) or you can set it for 1.78 movies and then you will have bars on top,bottom,and sides on the 2.35 stuff. Either way wont be as good as basic 1.78 and 2.35.