Projector help for a noob

MichaelandKlipsch

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sitting pretty at 3200+ blurays right now well including some dvds too about half bluray half dvd. I have actually stopped buying so much as I dont have time to watch them enough anyway. Last movies I actually purchased were the dark knight rises, skyfall, dredd3d and Lincoln. Trying to go back and re-watch things but like you said Im looking forward to experiencing it all over again as if for the first time on that big of a screen.

pics or its [bs]

Thanks Tasdom for sticking up for me lol. Also where did you get that big red curtain that thing is awesome !!! Have looked at your set up several times in old posts thats a huge room to play with.

RH it came alright and dude you werent kidding lol You should have better prepared me haha I pulled out the RS45 last night that thing is huge!!!! Lol. the box alone was the same size box as my anthem amps came in lol. I will say I have always had a respect and love for audio/video equipment and this JVC is extremely well built and beautiful. The cosmetics on this projector are astounding. Looks extremely well built very heavy and I love the gold ring around the focus lens. I brought up the JVC and 115in screen to the theater room last night. Wont be able to install them until sat evening into Sunday. Super excited though. still waiting on my Darbee so if I dont get that in by the weekend Ill wait to do any movie watching until it arrives. So far very excited I broguth the manual to work sitting on my desk to read throughout the day.

Thanks so much for the settings. Shoot me a photo of your curtain after install cant wait too see it. :)

Dont have a gallery or anything yet RH (need Youth to come Up here and photograph for me Heh. I promise to be a good host and provide hours of entertainment in the theater room with popcorn and if you like sushi my fiancé owns a sushi bar downtown Charleston we will have a klipsch forum hang out). By the way Youth, starting to get used to the black ceiling. Spent about an hour last night staring at the projector and its starting to grow on me like you said. Going to do some nice photos once the project is complete and a few early photos for a before and after. Im glad I took photos early on when the room was in construction mode before I started this fiasco but I need to take my time and make the recessed alcove. I bought a 4x8 piece of hard wood plywood at Lowes last weekend and some piano black finish to stain it Saturday. Going to make it at least 4 feet deep 2 wide and about 1 tall for proper ventilation of the projector. I am still researching the proper height to set it but Im thinking of making the lens the same height as the top of the screen on the back wall.

Also where did you get that big red curtain that thing is awesome !!! Have looked at your set up several times in old posts that’s a huge room to play with.

Thanks! Home Depo has them for a pretty good price. Black's also and all hardware.

RH what was the throw distance to your 125 screen? Im looking at the manual and they dont have my exact screen size or aspect ratio but they said for a 16:9 screen @ 120 the distance would be 10.9ft à21ft??? Trying to do a little research before I cut and make the recessed alcove. If I make it 4ft deep and my wall to screen is 11.8ft, minus the depth of the projector should give me around 13 give or a take a few inches from lens to screen. That I would expect be appropriate for the zoom and lens memory to properly be set up for my screen @ 115 diagonal 2:35:1 1.1 gain? Thanks in advance.

RH what was the throw distance to your 125 screen? Im looking at the manual and they dont have my exact screen size or aspect ratio but they said for a 16:9 screen @ 120 the distance would be 10.9ft à21ft??? Trying to do a little research before I cut and make the recessed alcove. If I make it 4ft deep and my wall to screen is 11.8ft, minus the depth of the projector should give me around 13 give or a take a few inches from lens to screen. That I would expect be appropriate for the zoom and lens memory to properly be set up for my screen @ 115 diagonal 2:35:1 1.1 gain? Thanks in advance.

My throw distance is a little over 15ft and its mounted 10" above the top of the scene (projector is 18" middle of the lens down and the top of the screen is like 28" down). So you can go higher than the top. Mike told me what the formula was but i forgot sorry.

• Moderators

Youth what would you suggest for masking for the 16:9 Content for the screen? Im looking to doing something motorized for all my 16:9 content but not sure where to start.

Actually, I never looked into it as most of my movies are not in 16:9 content and the movies that are, when the lights go out and the movie starts, I don't see the grey bars. The motorized masking adds a cool factor to it but it just wasn't a necessity for the cost to do so.

The DIY Scope Masking thread in the AVS Forum might provide some much less expensive alternatives.

He made his as a manual masking for a 16:9 screen but man, the video looks pretty sweet. Takes 5 seconds to put the mask in place and looks great. Probably could do the very same thing for the left and right side.

Thanks Youth. I did some research last night and ordered a nice automated curtain/masking system. It can be at the touch of a button or on an automated system. Was about 280.00 not including the curtains. I mounted the screen last night. It is massive. The stretching was kind of fun I enjoyed it. didnt leave much room for error but it all worked out I had about 1 from the top of my THX KL-650s and about 1 on the bottom from the 4 KW-120s. Its 110 long and came about 8 on either side from my ATS acoustic panels. I had to move 2 of them to the rear wall and only have one on each side of the screen but with 8 clearance I left room for the automated curtain/masking system. Looking cool Ill photograph the screen this weekend and photograph the curtain system once installed. Wish I could install the projector this weekend but I have to stain and seal our steps to the entrance of the house.

Wish I could Youth. I wont leave work till 5pm then head to the wifes restaurant to help out till probably 11pm by the time I get home and shower Ill break out the Basil Hayden and watch the only thing better than our theater systems. The back of my eyelids lol. I will tomorrow for sure though. Wish I had a nice Nikon to do the room justice. Ill post a pic of the JVC shortly.

Thanks Akdave. You can see some pics of the setup complete before I added the Cinescope screen in my other thread Mikeys Home Theater Construction Mode. BTW love the Dane pic on your Avatar. I grew up with Danes but my Fiancé is highly allergic so no animals in our house. My parents still have 2 though a Boston Male (huge 180lbs) and a normal sized Mural female