Projector help for a noob

MichaelandKlipsch

Thats what I keep contemplating. I dont see that much of an advantage of the 46 except for some minor things. Now going to the 48 there is a big difference of the 4k up-conversion but id rather wait for a true 4k projector later on. Im thinking about the 45 more and more. I have till Friday thats when I want to make the decision and the purchase for the screen and the projector. And a long HDMI lol. Ill just go straight Monoprice for an HDMI I believe. I have the 103 in my sights and I think that would be the appropriate screen size for the room but there is also a 115 Elite cinescope that is the same price gain and specs just slightly larger. Would you go for the 115? Or would you think that to be too big. Either way Im going to have to cut and recess the projector in my rear wall so if I go 115 I will just have to move it back a little further you are certainly helping so far. Man I wish I could demo a darn projector around here. If only I could come see your 103 screen and see if thats the right fit lol. maybe I can head down to Florida for a peak lol. Ill bring some popcorn heh

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with the 115 if everything fits (you will be glad you did i thinkl). I would find out why its b stock because that might scrare me if its somthing inside. Having a darker color speaker is one thing but inside stuff is another. If its in perfect working order then i would grab the 45 at that price. The 45 is an amazing projector that will blow you away and im sure the 46 is even better but probably not much. Go 45 if all is good imo.

Yep I was thinking the redmere. Well there were two screens available that I was looking at in my price range on ebay. The Elite Cinescope 115 2:35:1 and the Elite Cinescope 103 2:35:1. The asking price for the 103 was $409 and the 115 was $520. I put in a best offer on the 115 to see if it would take and surprisingly they accepted the offer of $319 shipped for the 115 Elite Cinescope 2:35:1. At this size Ill have to place the projector deeper inside the recessed cut out. Im going to build a nice solid oak holding cabinet and stain it piano black. Then build a nice trim for the wall that the projector will rest in. Anyone have any idea how much space I should provide around the projector for proper ventilation?

This isn't helpful to the thread, but just so I can puff my chest and say i told you so.. :P

by all means go with what works. it just seems like a lot of cash on top-tier gear to have it not located to spec. Why not spend that klipschorn money on a nice projector and acoustically transparent screen? Place the speakers behind the dramatically larger screen and then you will definitely have a "theater". i'd also turn off or cover all of the neon blue lights on your amps, conditioners, etc. i mean if you're going to do it, do it right...

Well I do like/love projectors etc but I have been an elite fan for a while and dont see myself moving to a projector anytime soon. The lights would def. be covered 100% if I were to do a projector in the future but with the Elite tv they dont detract from the viewing experience at all. I actually like the way it all looks very much right now. If I had a projector it would all be covered. I have owned 3 elites in my life so far and with the last being my 60 Pioneer Elite Pro151 which I have moved down in the living room and now owning the Elite 70 I dont think im going to change anything until an elite 80 4k comes out lol. I think with room corrections etc. and the speaks angled at the listening area etc. it will be nice. Id like them front and center but dont want to switch to the projector again. (used to have one in a diff house). Thanks again for all the replies man. The 3 Kl-650s are only about 1.5 feet above the middle of the screen so not too high above my ears and with them pointed at me should be ok.

I was the same way not long ago. I kept buying bigger tvs and really wasn't looking forward to setting it all up (not an easy job). But no matter how many subs, amps and speakers i filled my room with it was still not a true movie experience to me. Going projector is probably the best ht advice i have ever got (you know who you are).[:D]

Ok so I guess this is how this game goes. I had another lengthy conversation with Mike at AVscience as I was interested in ventilation which he recommended at least 6 inches on each side and back and 6-8 above for proper ventilation, he also said on a 115 screen he said without a calculator a proper throw distance from the front of the lens to the front of the screen should be about 12.5-13. Thats is the easy part as I can make nice recessed alcove out of some Oak and stain it piano black to match the room. He asked what the viewing distance would be and at 10.5 feet he recommend I look into the 4k up conversion JVC THX RS48. It is definitely more expensive at 3800 shipped but he said there will noticeable improvement at 10-11 feet in pic clarity and sharpness with the 4k. also they are providing a second lamp a mount and free shipping at that price as a special. Has me thinking that if 4k isnt a standard for another 3 years or so available on discs, perhaps this projector may be better suited for the room. I went with the larger screen already ordered for next week so maybe Id be better to have a slightly more advanced projector? Im ordering Friday so please chime in as you guys have been most helpful. 3800 is a bit more than I wanted to spend but coming with an extra bulb and free shipping is nice. I dont need the mount but the bulb alone would be 398 to replace. I also found out B-stock with a projector means the bulb in the JVC has 100 hours or less on it. Everything else is 100% the same and 100% factory warranty.

Respectively Thaddeussmith, you are correct. In this case the audio surpassed what I even expected and sound is absolutely huge and amazing. The best I have ever heard with movies. It pushed me into wanting the large screen and picture to go with the huge sound in the theater room now. I will just bow my head in shame lol but at least Im in the projector ppl now heh. Im really happy with the placement of the THX speaker just over the TV. When the 115 screen is mounted they should be just barley 1 above the screen so it should sound and look great paired together. I couldnt install a transparent screen with the way the wall is structured inserting the speakers in the wall was a no-go. Ordered the screen just contemplating on which projector would best match the picture of the elite. JVC seems to be the way to go now just to decide which model

Bulbs are around 400 and something you would need at some point. I just don't know if the 48 would be worth 1500 to you (1900 - the 400 bulb). Also if you get the 45 for 1900 you could easily sell it for 1500 a few years from now if you wanted to upgrade. I just measured and was off a bit on my numbers. I sit a little over 11ft away so my guess is 10ft would be really good with a 115". But the projector is 15ft away from the screen and i think i said it was like 12 my bad. I'm not saying don't get the 48 just breaking it down (as I'm sure you have).

I am not sure what other projectors you are considering, but I absolutely LOVE my JVC. Mine is the older RS-40 and I couldn't be happier with the performance of it. Until this past October it was in a living room with a while ceiling and tan walls. The picture was good, but I was losing quite a bit of contrast.

Then in October we moved into our new house. I have a dedicated room with black ceilings, screen wall and dark gray for the side walls. I also added a Lumagen to the mix and upgraded from a 92" 16 x 9 to a 115" 2:35 screen. After calibration, it was like I had a brand new projector. I am sitting a tad under 10 feet from the screen and on older material, the picture can sometimes look only average. Most of the time, it isn't noticable though.

The unit you are looking at adds the 4K shift and it is slightly brighter, without losing black levels. My buddy just calibrated one and said he was as impressed with it as he was with last year's $7,000.00 model. If I had enough in my HT budget right now, I would be considering an upgrade to it.

My $0.02.....go with the JVC..

Definitely going with a JVC. Just a matter of which model for the money and the distance and all other variables. I too have a dedicated theater room. It is a cream/tan ceiling (which I may paint one day ) but the rest is covered. All walls are pretty much covered in acoustic panels. 12 now to be exact with micro suede black. You can see photos in other posting or Ill post some new photos tonight. The light is completely controlled. The entire room is pitch black other than my AV equipment which I will be either dimming or black them out. The only reflection would be my ceiling but it is a good finish with no glare or reflection/shine in the paint. I will be sitting between 11-10 feet from the screen. My projector will be recessed back pretty far where the throw distance from the lens to the screen should be around 13-14 feet on a 2:35 115 cinescope screen 1.1gain. my thoughts are this. I havent demoed a projector in like 6 years maybe more I wish i could but dont know anyone around with one or into the hobby as I am. Im definitely going JVC after researching it for hours on end. Now Im going from a pioneer elite 60 plasma to a 70 elite led that have astounding pic quality and black levels. Im not going for a direct comparison next to them on black levels but I should hope the JVC under the variables above will offer an amazing pic quality from what I read. Not sure another 1500 dollars is worth the eshift 4k technology or going with an RS45 and upgrading in 2-3 years with full 4k projectors. Im debating hard sitting here at work dreaming of the gigantic screen lol. If some of you sit near to the distance I will be at about 10 feet to be fair with the projector 13-15 feet back in a controlled dedicated extremely dark room I feel like Im going to be happy with the rs45. 3d isnt my biggest concern as I have read after the bulbs half-life the ghosting becomes an issue with the jvc rs45. I in all honesty only watch 3d maybe 1 time a month on a new Blu-ray I buy with repeat viewings always being in 2d. unless it is a favorite I want to revisit 3d in such as Prometheus etc. ok ok Im rambling just making a big shift/move from the elite 70 but I feel that watching 2d Blu-ray on say raiders of the lost ark on 115 compared to my 70 elite paired with my thx ultra 2 setup is going to blow my little mind. You guys all are def. helping so far. Im half tempted to go drive to youths house haha. 1900 is just a great price and the bulb would have 100 hours or less. It would be my first used piece of audio equipment but only the bulb has been used with the projector itself being brand new and untouched according to mike at AVS. I sold the Pio Elite 60 (guys picking it up tomorrow) for a good price so the costs of the RS45+115 screen+monoprice hdmi would all be covered and some left over. If I go with the 48 its going to cost me more out of pocket.

The darby works amazing set it and leave it. Mine is back behind with all my wires and stuff. I set it to hd level 55 (out of 100) and never touch it. It brings out things you don't see like wrinkles In peoples faces pop out out of no where. If you go to the avs forum on it you will find a lot of happy people. It don't add much to the 70" but the 125 scope it makes a really nice upgrade. Imo a must for projector owners with a screen over 100".