Projector help for a noob

MichaelandKlipsch

yeah everyone on here is always great youth helped a lot when I was planning my thx speaker setup Looks like the Panny 8000 requires 14.3 feet for a 103 1.1 gain screen, the JVC rs45 requires 14.6 feet. Looks like im making a recessed alcove for a projector. if the projector height wise is placed and the lens is just about the same height as the top of the fix screen on the opposing wall do you guys think that would be too high or do I need to drop the projector down to about with the lenses at the middle of the screen?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other nice thing about panny and espon are the price vs value. You get more for your $ probably with them. If you buy jvc i would get last year model or this year right around the time the new models are set to come out. I got the rs-45 for around the same price as the 8000 (around 300 more) so it was a good value still. You will probably change your mind 10 times in the next month lol.

• Moderators

if the projector height wise is placed and the lens is just about the same height as the top of the fix screen on the opposing wall do you guys think that would be too high or do I need to drop the projector down to about with the lenses at the middle of the screen?

I found out the hard way that my 3000u needs to be no higher than the top of the screen or you will have to angle the projector downwards (which causes keystoning). My projector is actually only about an inch above my head when I stand on the back riser.

Thinking about your setup, that might not be the case since my projector is mounted upside down. You might want to buy the projector and play with it before you begin cutting holes through your drywall to see where is the best location to mount it.

So I had a lengthy conversation with Mike at AVS. We dialed in the projector that probably would best suit my needs for the room and taste. He recommended I got with JVC for its 2d viewing and black levels for watching movies which is mostly what I do. He recommended the JVC DLA RS46. He had a few RS45s left from last years stock but said they were B-Stock for 1900. The RS46 is 2800 shipped. Not to bad IMO. I plan to have it in a recessed cube inside the wall to fit the 103 cinescope 2:35:1 screen so I wont have to have it upside down. I wont cut anything until I have it hands on to paly with though. He recommended the lens be really close height wise to the top of the screen so that should fit perfectly above my acoustic panels behind the theater seats. Heres to a new project lol. I put my Pioneer Elite 60 up for sale on ebay so Ill see if it sells before buying a projector. (the wife didnt want it in the bedroom) Going to move the 70 downstairs. Hope this is the right move for me as a first time projector user. I had one a long time ago but it wasnt a home theater projector. Should be an easier project compared to the install of the THX set up. May end up doing it sooner If someone buys the Pioneer Elite.

So I had a lengthy conversation with Mike at AVS. We dialed in the projector that probably would best suit my needs for the room and taste. He recommended I got with JVC for its 2d viewing and black levels for watching movies which is mostly what I do. He recommended the JVC DLA RS46. He had a few RS45s left from last years stock but said they were B-Stock for 1900. The RS46 is 2800 shipped. Not to bad IMO. I plan to have it in a recessed cube inside the wall to fit the 103 cinescope 2:35:1 screen so I wont have to have it upside down. I wont cut anything until I have it hands on to paly with though. He recommended the lens be really close height wise to the top of the screen so that should fit perfectly above my acoustic panels behind the theater seats. Heres to a new project lol. I put my Pioneer Elite 60 up for sale on ebay so Ill see if it sells before buying a projector. (the wife didnt want it in the bedroom) Going to move the 70 downstairs. Hope this is the right move for me as a first time projector user. I had one a long time ago but it wasnt a home theater projector. Should be an easier project compared to the install of the THX set up. May end up doing it sooner If someone buys the Pioneer Elite.

They have pretty good prices and what seems like good customers service. Mike knows a lot and seems to always answer his phone so to me that goes a long way. I think most people just think they are a forum. They are also a klipsch dealer. Nothing wrong with panny I'm sure but for 2d movies you would have a hard time time finding someone that would say they have a better 2d picture than a jvc (i asked that question on so many projector forums and even in the panny forums they say the jvc). Jvc are a little spendy but for what you are using it for i would say its a perfect match.

how would you guys say picture quality compares on a projector such as the JVC or Panasonic to a hi and TV picture quality such as a Panasonic or Pioneer Elite?

Great question and one that i asked as well. If you spend the money and get a good screen and projector your going to be blown away at how amazing it looks. This will be on your wall.

post-50231-13819831500402_thumb.jpg

looks like incredible to me I'm sold I had a rather lengthy conversation last night with my fiance and told her if someone buys the Pioneer Elite I will be buying a JVC anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should go for the Rs 48 with the 4k up conversion it's nearly 3900 dollars but I'm thinking I'd be better off just going with the Rs 46 for close to 2700 shipped and getting true 4k in a year or so when it has become more popular?

The 46 is really close to what i have and I'm at about 850hrs in with what has been so far perfect. I even think the 3d is good even though its not considered a strong suit. But I'm sure like anything you get what you pay for so the 48 is probably noticeably better. Two grand was my limit so i already was going over it with the 45 so didn't really compare the models above it much. You could ask zombie10k on the avs forum. He has had both models side by side and could probably tell you if the extra money is worth it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/sony-hw50-benq-w7000-epson-5020-jvc-rs55-jvc-rs-46-jvc-rs4810-jvc-rs56-mini-shootout-2012-2013

"Thanks for the coffee honey. You can upgrade your movie room. I support u 100% but nothig else for a long time after that okay" this is the text I receieved from the fiance this morning so it is a go!!! Im orderimg the 103" elite screen you use Youth and I settled on the JVC rs46u. Will wait till 4k is actually available via bluray before upgrading. Back to construction mode lol. Should be an easy install compared to the audio.

• Moderators

I support u 100% but nothig else for a long time after that okay

I'm sure we have all heard that line....but somehow we tend to forget it was said. [:P]

this is the text I receieved from the fiance this morning so it is a go!!!

I think it's awesome that you respect her enough to make a decision together. So many couples I talk to do not know how to work together in their relationship. My wife and I discuss every major purchase and if both of us aren't in agreement, we don't do it. Period. I've just seen too many marriages destroyed because each are operating on their own, instead of how it was intended to be "Two shall become one".

Best wishes with your new toys and your upcoming marriage.

Im orderimg the 103" elite screen you use Youth...Should be an easy install compared to the audio.

I am pleased with the quality of the screen. The frame is very nice aluminum build with a soft velvet 2" border. I have a few very tiny wrinkles in one corner but that may be my fault that I didn't stretch it properly.

It's really easy to put together and the poles and clip system is pretty slick and easy to stretch the screen.

Will wait till 4k is actually available via bluray before upgrading.

Anytime you buy latest/greatest, you will pay out the nose. Probably a smart idea to wait till prices come down a bit.

Just think, now you will have huge video to compliment your huge sound!

Yes Youth, I feel the same way. I have always felt that any purchase should be discussed. I always ask permission and unless she is ok with it I dont do it either. Shes a cool chick though been with her for 7 years now and about to be married in October here in Charleston. She has supported me a lot thankfully she is a fellow movie lover as well and she has even become a trekkie with me. not if only to get her obsessed with star wars? The audio still blows me away every time im in there. I think the room acoustics were the biggest upgrade for the money I have ever done only about 800 bucks worth and man did it make an impression.

Question fellas, Mike at AVS said he has a RS45U 3 actually that are b Stock but apparently they are from the best B-stock available for last years model. He can ship it for 1900 shipped which to me is a better price than the RS46 @ 2800 shipped. Would you suggest going with the 45 over the 46? I dont see there to be that many more differences in the justification of costs? I think they said it is about 5% brighter? Also you guys have seen my theater room it is completely black besides my components lights. I can dim them down a bit also. Other than the light emitting from my av components is the 1300 lumen JVS projector going to be ok or do I need to find a brighter projector? This is the one Id prefer for the 2d pic detail and black levels being my kryptonite. I wanted info from those of you have projectors and I know that reference head has the exact projector. maybe I sound like a moron but Id rather know if the light emitted from my equipment will hurt the projectors pic brightness/quality? Its going to be on a 103 cinescope screen so it wont be as big to fill with brightness but still 32 bigger than my elite.