Projector help for a noob

MichaelandKlipsch

Projector Question.

If my room is only 12from my back to front wall. Will I be able to use a projector on a 120 2:35:1 screen? I am looking at the Panasonic ae9000 and the JVC dla-rs48u.

I will be purchasing a Fixed screen and I have the room for it just want to know if 10-12 fee away from the wall will be enough to properly use a projector in my dedicated theater room. It is a completely dark room. Im a bit of a Noob with projectors but it is something Im looking to do over the summer. Toying with the idea of selling my other Elite 60 and go the projector route. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a few websites that give estimated screen size depending on what's termed as 'projector throw distance.' Just picking a Panasonic projector at random shows that for that particular model, 12 feet will yield a maximum diagonal image size of about 112". Each projector will be slightly different. As an example, picking a JVC projector yields only about 91" diagonal screen size (model DLS-RS35U).

Those are 16:9 ratios which would be approximately 1.85:1.

Im looking to do a 2:35:1 text screen do you have any ideas and or places I should start looking for decent fix screens? I was looking at 120 inches but seeing how I might need to go a little smaller maybe something in the 110 inch screen size would be more appropriate for the room or even down to 102 inch. if anybody knows of good places to look for fix screens please let me know I seem very good prices and ranges of 6 screens and sizes on eBay. but I want to start doing my research on this. I'm definitely considering a Panasonic that has the automatic zoom feature as you can point it out is this I wonder what the maximum screen size would be using the 9000

Call mike at avs 585-671-2968. They have great prices and he can answer your questions on screen size and models. Both those brands are great and have different advantages. He can tell you what is and isn't for what your want and give you advise. You can probably call him now and he will answer. (those guys work from home i think)

• Moderators

I used this Calculator Pro. It has an interactive platform that will allow you to choose a make and model projector and allow you to adjust perameters such as throw distance, etc and will show you visually the limitations of that projector.

According to the Calculator Pro, with the Panny 8000, in order to get a 120" screen, you would need a throw distance of 15' 8". For a 110", you would need 14' 5". If you only have 12' throw distance, you are looking at an 92" screen.

I also have a 70" flat panel and love it but its nothing compared to a giant screen for movies. Its easily the biggest upgrade you will ever make imo. I just wish i would have done it way sooner. Also go to projectorreviews.com from some great info and reviews and screen shoots. Avs forums has a few really good shootouts right now with those modes i think. If you want my 2 cents JVC makes the best 2d movie projectors on the planet for a dark light controlled room in your price range (keep in mind i have only owned one projector and I'm going based off of all the hours and hours i spent talking to people that have owned different brands and the what seemed like 100s of reviews). If you want to watch with some lights on and have say a super bowl party for example with people over then i would pass on the jvc. Panny and espon are both light cannons (benQ also) and can be used in rooms with some light or even with the lights on. But they are both lcd technology and in the projector world that is probably the lowest pq of the different types out there. Again I'm just giving you my hours of research in a few lines. What ever you get I'm sure you will be happy. In your room being that the projector will be close to your viewing area fan noise will also matter. There is so many little things that might matter to you but to someone else its a non issue.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I took some measurements last night to start figuring it out. First off the room will pretty much always be very dark. The only light in there is from my equipment which can be dimmed down if needed. I took some exact measurements of the room last night and as far as screen size I can fit a 56 high by 130+ inch wide screen as far as a fixed screen on the wall. That would bring the screen just below the THX speakers and just about the THX subs. Most likely that is way to big and I wont be able to properly use a screen that big. 56x128 is approx. the size of a few of the 120 diagonal screens. Im leaning more towards a 102-103 screen. I think that will look better size wise on the wall and or I can work well with setting up a projector better to fit a screen that size. I took measurements last night and I have exactly 11.8s from the back wall to where the fixed screen will be placed. I have the option of cutting out a small space in the wall and moving the projector back if I needed but I dont want it enclosed in a small space due to heat etc. (did that last time in my other house and was always a problem.) Id rather just get the appropriate sized 2:35:1 screen to match with a projector mounted from the ceiling on a rod. (Im thinking more and more after reading reviews last night I will go with the JVC 4k 3d projector. Just curious is the 3d ok with them? I dont watch a lot in 3d but sometimes it is nice. The room will be exclusively for movie watching only. I mostly watch movies in my little bit of time off and if I watch hokey or football I watch it down in the living room. No Superbowl parties up there for me lol. only a few ppl go up there. I actually think I may end up selling my beloved Kuro 60 plasma and put the 70 elite in the living room. The wife doesnt want the 60 in the bedroom so Ill keep our 46 in there. I put it up on eBay last night to see if I get any bites and a lot of people are interested in the Kuro. Had an offer of 3200 for it last night so that should help fund the projector project potentially.

Ill call mike today and also get some info from him. Im also looking to adding a curtain setup that will hide the fixed screen when not viewing it. I would like to have them motorized to be able to shut and close with a control. Anyone know of anything like this or where to start looking? I have seen a few online for around $600+

Thanks for the replies so far guys keep them coming

Youth, I see you use an Elite screen @ 103 I see one on eBay that looks to be identical to yours. It may be the best size for my room instead of going larger. My question is if you happen to know what are the dimensions of your screen? I know diagonally it is 103 2:35:1 but I was wondering what the height and width were. If you happen to know that would be awesome. Would like to see where it would place on the wall over the weekend. If I only have 11,8 from wall to wall I wonder if the JVC or Panny could adjust to screen or If Ill have to make any modification and recess the projector into the wall. Id hate to do that but I know it could be done. Just a weekend at lowes lol.

Jvc are not the best 3d projectors. In fact from what i read you can get a much cheaper projector that is better for 3d. But the new ones are better than mine but not sure how much. Im really happy with the 3d on mine but i have read its nothing compared to some models. I think most will tell you jvc is the 2d projector tho.

I saw a few on ebay but havent looked into them yet. I want an all-black curtain to match the room. Looks like there are several made out of black velvet. I have velvet theater ropes at the entrance to the theater room I may go this route. Also all my 11 Acoustic panels are made of black velvet micro suede. I found a pretty good deal on a Elite Cinescope 103 fixed screen with a 1.1 gain 2:35:1. Leaning more and more towards the Panny AE8000u from what I read. I really like the memory feature that adapts screen ratio to the 2:35:1. If I purchase the 103 sceen what is the throw distance I would need to have to perfectly fit this screen? I have 118 from wall to wall but Im most likely going to have to cut out a rectangle and place the projector recessed in the wall I assume. Does the throw distance need to be from the front of the lens I assume to the front of the fixed screen? I can cut out a recessed area as deep as up to 4-5 feet but since Im at 118 id rather only do it a foot or 2 max. That would look nice on the rear wall and not affect much. I wish at 118 I could make it work for the 103 screen as I wanted to mount the projector on a Rod from the ceiling just like youth has in his theater room.. Any opinions on this? He told me id have to go down to a 92 screen in order to make it fit. Hmmm

Jvc also has the same memory feature. The pan8000 and the jvc-rs45 are the two it came down to for me. Because of the memory feature on both and the price range they are in. Im sure both would have been nice but everyone told me for what i wanted the (2d in a dark room with lens memory) that the jvc is on another plant for pq in 2d. Nothing compares to the blacks on a jvc in that price range. Also look at the sonys. They have close to the same pq as jvc (both use same projector technology) and the sony has better 3d.

As far as the height of the physical projector itself does it need to be dead center to the middle of the screen or is it ok for it to be closer to the ceiling? Im able to put it dead center to the screen but it if can put it higher up on the back wall I could place it above my acoustic panel and that would look nice neat and tucked away.

Reference Head, what throw distance would be needed for the JVC RS54 3d projector? I like the Panny reviews havent checked into this yet but will be doing a lot of comparisons in the next few weeks before I make the purchase. If I went JVC I thought about going straight to the dla RS48u. I has the 4k up conversation but to be honest id probably be better of going with a lower model and then it wouldnt be as much of a waste when I sell and upgrade to full 4k in the future. Will do some review comparisons of the RS54 vs the ae8000. My preference is 2d with excellent pic quality and black levels. Im coming from a Pioneer Elite Kuro 60 plasma and then the Elite 70Pro 70 Led. So black levels have always been important. I do like 3d but not a gigantic fan I have to be in the mood for it. I still prefer 2d. My main concern now is whichever projector I get what distance will I need for a 103 screen. Im most likely going to be more willing to sacrifice sheet rock than sacrificing screen size lol. I dont hink id go bigger than 103 in the room though. That would be really a nice size and the tips of the screen should just reach the left and right THX speakers.

• Moderators

I don’t hink id go bigger than 103” in the room though. That would be really a nice size and the tips of the screen should just reach the left and right THX speakers.

I thought that too, but if I had the room, I would have probably went with a 110". I know I'm probably not helping you. [:P]

Get the biggest you can. Take your time and get as much info as you can. I think youth would agree this is so much harder than getting speakers and amps. But its so worth it. Its kinda strange giving advice now being just a few months ago i was so lost. Why i love these forums the people on here give so much great info.

• Moderators

Get the biggest you can.

I agree to a certain extent but too big too close is not comfortable (I'm thinking front row in a movie theater). There is a point to where your peripheral can no longer take in the entire image without moving your eyes left and right. The last thing I wanted was to feel like I was watching a tennis match.

I just measured and my screen is closer than I thought. From the front row, my eyes are right at 10' from the screen. I still feel that I could have gone to a 110" screen and not had any eye strain. From the back row (which is 16' from the screen), I definitely feel I could have went much bigger (but I don't ever sit back there).

From the front row, you definitely get "sucked into" the movie. It's very enveloping and there is no eye strain whatsoever. Maybe I would just like even more enveloping from the screen. Does it ever end? Wait....I know the answer to that question. LOL