Projector help for a noob

MichaelandKlipsch

One thing I thought of was if I go with the RS45 possibly adding a lumagen or darblet hdmi video processor. Anyone use these and or familiar with them. Do they work?

I am using a Lumagen(mini-3d) with my JVC RS-40. The primary reason I bought it was to switch between 2:35 and 1:85 material because my JVC doesn't have Lens Memory. It does that perfectly, but it also gave me a major boast in the calibration abilities due the CMS feature.

HIGHLY recommended for sure...

Never used the Darbee though...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to it Reference, I am debating on watching the original trilogy of star wars or Alien+Aliens or Jurassic park 1+2+3. Not sure which set yet. I should have the screen and projector in next week. The Wife has me painting the living room this weekend so im going to try and finish that up and then move the 70 elite over the fireplace where the 60 elite used to be. If I get finished but Sunday Evening I plan to go to Lowes and buy a nice piece of 4x8 Oak to build my recessed alcove for the projector. I can get that cut and built/stained this week so next weekend I can install the screen and projector. I need to order a 50 monoprice Redmere hdmi and a 40 power cable tomorrow too so I can have all the pieces necessary for next weekends install. Cant wait. Ill be sure to order the Darbee tomorrow when I get the JVC as well. I slept on it last night and I think Im going with the RS45+Darbee and wait a couple years for 4k to be fully implemented into projectors with blurays offering 4k output.

Ok so I pulled the trigger and went with the JVC RS45, 2 HDMI Redmere Monoprice cables, The 115 2:35:1 Cinescope screen and the Darbee. Ordered the JVC through Mike and he sent me a brand new one for the price of a B-stock. Basically just sent me a new bulb brand new unit. Great service so far this is the only thing I have ordered through AVS. Quick Question Reference Head. I saw the settings u suggested for the Darbee @ 55 on Hidef Mode. Now for the projector itself what would u suggest? I have read to use it on user mode 1 lamp on eco mode thats all I know without physically looking at the unit. Do you have any preferences? Thanks.

Yes the oppo 93 is fully customizable with the Qdeo video chip. I dont use any enhancers with it as I like the image to be as natural as possible not processed. I have the same Qdeo video chip in my SC55. I read from a THX reviewer that the cinema mode is great out of box with color on normal, lamp on eco. What are your thoughts?

I have read about eco mode and not sure how to turn that on (i have mine on normal lamp vs high so not sure if thats what that is) so let me know if you figure out how to set it lol. I like a vivid picture in fact i have my 70" set on that tamed down a bit. But with the 125 screen being so big it a took me a while to realize that it looks way better the other way. If you like a natural look you can probably just run cinema mode with all zeros and normal lamp mode and be done. Your going to fall over when you unbox it and see how big and heavy it is lol (its a monster). That is really cool that he sent you a new one for that price. They earned my business and will be buying from mike again for sure.

Would you be able to give me some info on how the aspect ratio for the 2:35:1 is set with lens memory. This is all new to me lol. Id like it show show all my blurays at 2:35:1 with black bars masked. Kinda like you and youths pics from earlier. I know this is possible with the lens memory just curios how it works. So excited to do this install. You guys have built my anticipation.

You will only be able to watch 2.35 movies in 2.35. You cant change 1.78 movies (full screen like tv) to 2.35. So its the only draw back to having a scope screen is when you watch movies with 1.78 aspect you will have small bars on the sides. You can build masking for the sides if you don't like how it looks for those movies. So on my screen when i watch 1.78 or tv/games i have about a 105" only. I have a little over 300 blu rays and of the movies its about 80% 2.35 and if i take out the not that great movies (movies that don't really matter) its probably like 95% are scope movies. There is a few i wish were scope (like the avengers) but its hard to buy a screen for 5%. Now if i was going to use my screen for 100% of all my viewing (like all tv/games/movies) then it might have made more sense. But I'm not a fan of bars so it was bars on 95% or 5% so not a hard choice for my viewing (being that i watch tv and game mostly on the 70).

As far as setting up the lens memory its nothing but a few buttons. To start you just hit lens control and the screen will change to the lens screen. It has the different aspects mapped out for you so you just zoom in or out tell it fills your screen. Then you go to the menu and save it to a preset. Then make one for the 1.78 aspect and save that to another (like memory one and memory two i think you can name them but i didn't). After that all you hit is a button to change from one to the other. Super easy and the jvc has a motor lens control so it has a really smooth feel to it. Took me less than a few minutes.

Makes sense I have the elite 70 down stairs and I only have like you said a few 1:85 films (avengers Jurassic park etc.) which I can live with black bars for te 5% viewing like you or watch on the elite downstairs. Take for example the hobbit bluray which Im waiting for the extended release before a purchase it is in 2:40:1 format isnt that the same as 2:35:1? I figure most of my movies are the same always 2:40 etc. def. wont be gaming on the projector I prefer my elite for that as well. Me and you pretty much have almost the same video equipment now lol. with the exception of your screen being 125 and my 70 being an elite lol. Heck we both even use pio elite similar modeled pre amps heh.

Makes sense I have the elite 70 down stairs and I only have like you said a few 1:85 films (avengers Jurassic park etc.) which I can live with black bars for te 5% viewing like you or watch on the elite downstairs. Take for example the hobbit bluray which Im waiting for the extended release before a purchase it is in 2:40:1 format isnt that the same as 2:35:1? I figure most of my movies are the same always 2:40 etc. def. wont be gaming on the projector I prefer my elite for that as well. Me and you pretty much have almost the same video equipment now lol. with the exception of your screen being 125 and my 70 being an elite lol. Heck we both even use pio elite similar modeled pre amps heh.

Great minds think alike lol. 2.40 is the same pretty much as 2.35 those will fill your screen with zero bars. I have the hobbit its a really good blu ray your going to love it.

You may want to paint your room a darker color too. I have been thinking about painting my celling (even though i really don't want to). Zombie was saying he just painted his and noticed a huge difference in blacks and contrast. Sucks i have a popcorn celling and that is really messy to paint or i would have already. But i trust what he says so its got me thinking.

I will consider doing that one day but only this feeling the walls are pretty much covered except for a few inches in between panels but my entire walls surrounding the entire theater room have 24 by 48 inch black microsuede acoustic panels so pretty much the only reflective surface is the ceiling the carpet is a fairly dark color plus I have a 10 foot throw rug in the middle that is pretty much black and brown and my theater seats are black I most likely will paint the ceiling one day but not for a little while