Projector help for a noob

MichaelandKlipsch

that's interesting my subs are in the front but the amount of base they produce is it almost insane so I'm likely to maybe build a fixed frame around the feet of the projector the projector will be recessed about 3 feet into the rear wall to get the proper aspect on screen thanks so much for all your help today man when I get this thing finished I'll shoot you some photos but I'm definitely considering baking some fixed fee to go around the projector so it doesn't move so much have a great weekend

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bars are pushed off the top and bottom. Because of the aspect of your screen the bars don't show up cause they don't fit on the screen. They are still there though. Its like if you hit zoom on your elite the bars fall off but so does other stuff on the sides. If you go to the movie theater they have the same set up your going to have. The only difference is they have masking on the sides so when the movie is 1.78 they move the masking over before you even get there. And on a scope movie they push them over so its 2.35. You will see what i mean when you get set up and then go to a movie theater. During previews you will see some have black bars on the sides if the main movie is shoot in 2.35. because some of the previews will be in 1.78. And some movies mess with everyones set up like the last two batmans shot in both 1.78 and 2.35 (something like that). I saw that in the theater and when it switched to 2.35 it had black bars on top and bottom just like we would.

that's interesting my subs are in the front but the amount of base they produce is it almost insane so I'm likely to maybe build a fixed frame around the feet of the projector the projector will be recessed about 3 feet into the rear wall to get the proper aspect on screen thanks so much for all your help today man when I get this thing finished I'll shoot you some photos but I'm definitely considering baking some fixed fee to go around the projector so it doesn't move so much have a great weekend

I wouldn't worrier to much about it moving. Its so easy to adjust with the lens control that its really nothing. Plus yours isn't hanging from the celling so it will have all its weight on it. I just brought it up because you do have a ton of bass in your room so its something to watch for here and there. And np glad to help you have a good weekend yourself.

• Moderators

I have my setup as a CIH (Constant Image Height). This means that whether I'm in 16:9 or 2.35:1, the image fills completely on top and bottom with no gray bars. Since my screen is 2.35:1, when watching 16:9, I have grey bars on the left and right side. When lights go out, you don't see them at all. Only time you see them is if the screen goes completely black during a scene.

When the movie is 2.35:1, there are grey bars on top, bottom and sides. When I hit the zoom memory, I have saved a preset that zooms the projector in until the image fills the entire width and height of my screen and the grey bars that were on top and bottom now extend ABOVE and BELOW my screen. Because the wall is dark, you cannot see the grey bars at all once the movie starts.

So even though I have a 2.35:1 screen and image, it's still a native 16:9 image from the projector that is zoomed in to fill the screen completely.

Hope that clarifies how it works.

• Moderators

I have been thinking about painting my celling (even though i really don't want to).

I felt the EXACT same way, even in a dedicated HT. My brain was telling me, "This is wrong....you can't paint a ceiling black in a house. What will happen when you sell the house?" Let's just say that after taking advice from others that had HT, I'm VERY glad I did. Even with 10' ceilings, it makes the room fill bigger, prevents unwanted reflections and just looks absolutely sweet!

• Moderators

If it wasn't a popcorn celling it wouldn't be so bad. Anyone have advise on painting that?

Yes, hire a painter. [;)]

As a teenager, my Father-N-Law paid me to paint a popcorn ceiling ONCE......never again. Every roll popcorn fell in my eyes. LOL

Ok so my back hurts, my neck hurts, my arms hurt, and my brain hurts. But the theater room ceiling is painted. It took a while since I didnt move my equipment I bought some 30x20 plastic sheets and covered everything and went to work. Painted them all a color called Dried Earth but it pretty much looks black. Extremely dark in there now. I have a few touch ups to do like reinstall the air vents (which I painted separately) and pull all the tape off this evening. Hope this was worth the time and energy spent for the projector pic quality. Thought about painting the back wall where the screen goes but havent decided yet. It is pretty much covered in black acoustic panels the new screen and my av racks/subs I dont think it is entirely necessary to paint but I did get the angled ceiling and the ceiling painted. Ill post pics this evening see what you guys think.

• Moderators

Ok so my back hurts, my neck hurts, my arms hurt, and my brain hurts….

Told ya should have hired a painter. [:P] That's actually what I did. I had a friend in our church that used to be a professional painter. He painted my entire room and ceiling for $200 - $300 (can't remember off hand). Was WELL worth it to me because I really hate painting.

Yeah it wouldnt have been so bad but I also painted all day the living room sat then the theater room ceiling Sunday so 2 days was enough for me I dont like painting either. Doesnt help that Im a little OCD so I was meticulous about it and took a long time. Definitely gives a different feel to the room. dont know that Im used to it yet. We watched a bluray up there last night Lawless since I wont be able to for a while after I take down the TV this week. Feels strange in a way like if you look up its like looking into space since it feels so dark but I miss my light colored ceilings lol. o well Im sure Ill get used to it shortly. I need to look at your photos again youth I thought ur ceiling was red like your walls.

• Moderators

I need to look at your photos again youth I thought ur ceiling was red like your walls.

Nope, flat black. I found a few pics showing the ceiling in my build thread.

As you can see in the photos below, the ceiling just disappears in the vast unknown. The only thing I didn't paint black was the trim ring around the can lights. They are not distracting at all. I did however spray paint the air vents black.

lighting.jpg

Klipsch-RF-7-and-RF-83-1.jpg

Dual-HGS15-Lg.jpg

Back_Wall.jpg

Like reference head stated earlier Great minds think alike lol. I left the rings around the lights cream as well but painted my 3 air vents black with spray paint also. Like you said the ceiling just vanishes and feels like youre in a planetarium or something its strange but I hope it grows on me. I love how my 3 KL-650s vanish into the back of the angled ceiling though. You can hear the sounds being produced but cant see where its coming from kinda like your false wall. was a neat experience last night I just need to get used to the new look is all.

Should I mount the projector level with the top of the screen or does it need to be dead center? Would I be able to mount it about 12 Inches above the top of the screen or would that be too high? I can always remove my acoustic panel and put the projector more level with the top of the screen if needed it would just look nice and disappear with the recessed alcove being above the acoustic panels on my back wall. if I do remove the middle acoustic panel for optimal placement of the projector Ill put a 24 panel above the projector.

• Moderators

I love how my 3 KL-650s vanish into the back of the angled ceiling though. You can hear the sounds being produced but can’t see where its coming from kinda like your false wall. was a neat experience last night I just need to get used to the new look is all.

Sounds like a great experience.

I'm not sure about where you need to mount the projector. Since mine is mounted upside down, it needed to be mounted as close to the top of my screen as possible or it would need to be angled downward and keystone adjusted. Not sure about where it needs to be for table mounting.

Should I mount the projector level with the top of the screen or does it need to be dead center? Would I be able to mount it about 12 Inches above the top of the screen or would that be too high? I can always remove my acoustic panel and put the projector more level with the top of the screen if needed it would just look nice and disappear with the recessed alcove being above the acoustic panels on my back wall. if I do remove the middle acoustic panel for optimal placement of the projector I’ll put a 24” panel above the projector.

Call mike and he can tell you how far up it can go.

Yeah it wouldn’t have been so bad but I also painted all day the living room sat then the theater room ceiling Sunday so 2 days was enough for me I don’t like painting either. Doesn’t help that I’m a little OCD so I was meticulous about it and took a long time. Definitely gives a different feel to the room. don’t know that I’m used to it yet. We watched a bluray up there last night Lawless since I won’t be able to for a while after I take down the TV this week. Feels strange in a way like if you look up its like looking into space since it feels so dark but I miss my light colored ceilings lol. o well I’m sure I’ll get used to it shortly. I need to look at your photos again youth I thought ur ceiling was red like your walls.

You can quit now you have one more to go (mine lol).

Hmmm Ill eat popcorn and check out your system, you can paint the popcorn on your ceiling LOL. I was telling Youth earlier it is def. strange having it painted. I think Im really going to like it once I have gotten used to It is like feeling youre in space or something as there is a nothingness above you at all times. Def. going to enhance star wars and star trek viewing even though the real reason was for the pic quality off the projector. Super super dark in the room. There were a few parts that were extremely difficult to paint part of the ceiling extends out into the stair case and goes out about 6 ft. I had to hold my fiancé up via let her stand on my shoulder to do the taping (thankfully she is a tiny Chinese girl that only weighs about 100lbs lol) to make the lines nice and straight. Going to take down the tape this evening and I painted my vents black so Ill put those back up. I guess I have been or seen other dark ceilings before but in an enclosed dark theater room it feels different.