Got my K-horns and need help

Rideoften

I've been working on this deal for a few months and finally got them home. I was unable to test them (in storage) before we closed the deal. I traded a civil war gun I got when my father in law passed and the speakers belonged to a music lover and at his death his brother got them. Long story short. The K-77's don't work, neither of them work. I think I'm going to order the replacement parts from Bob Crites...before I do, is there a test to determine the the diaphrams have indeed failed, or could it be the crossovers. I need test info. Thanks guys.

Mike

You might check all the connections in the crossover to make sure the one going to the tweeters has good contact.

That said, keep in mind that you can replace a blown diaphragm pretty easy in those things. (at least it was pretty easy the last time I did one)

You might need a soldering iron though.

These are 1984 models and all the connections at the crossover are soldered and seem to be good. I'm pretty sure it's the diaphrams and I don't have a problem soldering in some new ones. Bob Crites web site is a little confusing to me but it looks like $70 plus shipping will get the K 77's back in service. I've been listening to KG 4's for quite a while and was really looking forward to a giant step towards musical heaven. I guess I can wait another week or so. The cabinets and grill cloth look very nice, not perfect, but nice. I'm happy. Next project is to restore my Fisher 400. The fun never stops.

Mike

These are 1984 models and all the connections at the crossover are soldered and seem to be good. I'm pretty sure it's the diaphrams and I don't have a problem soldering in some new ones. Bob Crites web site is a little confusing to me but it looks like $70 plus shipping will get the K 77's back in service. I've been listening to KG 4's for quite a while and was really looking forward to a giant step towards musical heaven. I guess I can wait another week or so. The cabinets and grill cloth look very nice, not perfect, but nice. I'm happy. Next project is to restore my Fisher 400. The fun never stops.

Mike

Fisher 400 + KHorns = [Y].............Taz

These are 1984 models and all the connections at the crossover are soldered and seem to be good.

There should be screw terminals on the crossovers, with wires going to the K55 (mid) driver and K77 (tweeter) driver. Loosen each screw (one at a time) and retighten. I believe they use the slide on connections for the tweeter.Remove and put back on a couple of times.

If both are dead, it could be the diaphragms. If you have a DMM, with leads disconnected, you could check the value to see if they ae open or not.

Bruce

Everything in there is hard soldered, no screw connectors anywhere. Even the wires to the tweeters are soldered. I'm pretty sure the diaphragms are fried. My DMM is at work, I'll bring it home tomorrow and verify. Thanks for the replys.

Mike

It seems to me you'll need to disconnect the K-77s to confirm continuity. Without unsoldering at least one lead to each K-77, the DMM might not be able to distinguish whether the circuit is across the K-77 diaphragms or through other paths in the networks.

If necessary, replacing the diaphragms is relatively easy. I regularly fried the voice coils in the T-35s (K-77s) in the 4 Speakerlab SKhorns used in a DJ biz in the 70s. Slow Ride, by Foghat at ear bleed levels from 300 watts/channel of Dynaco SS power will do that.

I'd call EV on Monday, they'd send a diaphragm, or two, and by Friday I'd be good to go to deafen more adolescents over the weekend. I'd send a check for $17/diaphragm (if memory serves) to 600 Cecil St., Buchanan, MI. Those were the days . . . sigh.

Please, if needed, get your replacement diagphragms from Bob Crites. Bob tests them so you know they'll work. You can't get the real McCoys from EV anymore and the quality of the reproductions is spotty. The cheaper ones availble online might work, but they might not. Paying more to Bob and getting one that WILL work is worth it. Paying less and doing it twice is a false weconomy.

Or, you might consider a pair of Bob's CT125s. Even with open voice coils, your K-77s have value and could be sold to offset the cost of CT125s. Some here prefer them to the K-77 (T-35) others prefer the K-77. YMMV.

In any case, get them working and enjoy them. OBTW, welcome!

Everything in there is hard soldered, no screw connectors anywhere.

Ca. you post a pic of your crossovers? I've not seen one with no screws on it. My '89 LaScalas even have the terminal strip on them.

Bruce

Everything in there is hard soldered, no screw connectors anywhere.

Ca. you post a pic of your crossovers? I've not seen one with no screws on it. My '89 LaScalas even have the terminal strip on them.

Bruce

Burce,

The OP is correct. After about 1982, the Khorn is no longer easy to work on. In fact, I don't know how Klipsch could have made it more difficult to work on than they did. All connections are soldered to the crossover and all the drivers with no terminal strips anywhere. The bass section of the crossover is in the bass bin and all wire connections are with Monster Cable most of which by now is turning green. The Lascala with allmost the same crossover design as the Khorn, kept the standard of easy maintenance with the crossover all together on one board and a terminal strip.

I got these AK3 networks with a pair of KD-FR Klipschorn bass bins, it clear that someone has had their way with them as the bass bins are 2F 672 and 2F 673, the woofers were 1990 so I guess that the round magnet K33's matched the networks, as least as they probably were originally together in what ever they cabs they came from, the mids and tweeters were missing so I hope to find replacements someday and put this pair of Klipschorns back in service or al least find some other mids and tweets. Like a lot of thinks they are on hold at the present time.

post-42841-13819831538742_thumb.jpg

Like a lot of things they are on hold at the present time.

I can appreciate that statement! My wife is gone for almost a month, giving me time to work on projects. Yesterday I bought a compact router and today opened up the doghouses on a pair of LS cabs I got two years ago. Sure made a mess, but I already have most of the chips cleaned up. [;)]

Bruce

Well, I ordered replacement diaphragm kits from Bob Crites. I've waited this long, a few more days won't hurt. I want to get this buttoned up so I can start on the Fisher 400. I moved the KG 4's to the TV area and I'm just using them as 2 channel sound. They work pretty well. Thanks for all the reponces. I want to hear the K horns in stock form for a while, they may be just the ticket.

Mike

Hey Rick!

Yes, gonna port them. This is a pair of cabs I got a couple of years ago for $100. One is a clone, th weother genuine, however, neither had any Klipsch drivers in them. A pair of Eminence that are nowhere near correct for the LS, 800Hz JBL crossovers, and 800Hz EV horns and drivers. The mid drivers I will be able to use (EV 1828R).

I'm sure in no hurry, obviously, as they have ben sitting here for so long.

Bruce

Hey Rick!

Yes, gonna port them. This is a pair of cabs I got a couple of years ago for $100. One is a clone, th weother genuine, however, neither had any Klipsch drivers in them. A pair of Eminence that are nowhere near correct for the LS, 800Hz JBL crossovers, and 800Hz EV horns and drivers. The mid drivers I will be able to use (EV 1828R).

I'm sure in no hurry, obviously, as they have ben sitting here for so long.

Bruce

Where's TSA? There's been a hijack.[;)]

Well I got the replacement diaphragms from Bob and with the help of his tutorial changed out the damaged parts. The speakers sound wonderful. I'm amazed that music I've been listening to for years takes on a whole new life with little never before heard sounds. I'm a happy guy. I dropped off the Fisher 400 to our great technician at work for a total restoration and can't wait to hear it paired up with the K-horns. My KG 4's are now assigned to 2 channel TV duties and they sound pretty good as well. Life is good.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...