Fair price for A pair of RF7's and RC7?

kaaihue1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Youths estimates are a tad more towards the "good deal" range than the "fair deal" range. Paying 40% of original MSRP for used gear is typically where prices are falling in today's buying climate. I believe the RF-7's were 1100-1200 a piece originally. That'd put you closer to $1k, give or take, and that's what I've seen as well. So, $800 IMO would be a "good deal". Best of luck to you in your purchase!

I'd say Youths estimates are a tad more towards the "good deal" range than the "fair deal" range. Paying 40% of original MSRP for used gear is typically where prices are falling in today's buying climate. I believe the RF-7's were 1100-1200 a piece originally. That'd put you closer to $1k, give or take, and that's what I've seen as well. So, $800 IMO would be a "good deal". Best of luck to you in your purchase!

I disagree. Most if not all of the time, RF-7s are dictated by local sales because of the shipping issues. Thus reduces their value unless you are close to an urban center. For example, it would take me weeks if not months to find a buyer for RF-7s at 1000 dollars. Where I could probably find a buyer within a week for a pair at 700 or 800.

Best thing to do with the RC-7 is pop it on eBay. Lately it seems they have been in demand, and I even saw one go for nearly what it cost brand new. You would like see 500-600 for it as long as it was in good condition. Just make sure to wrap it well or use the original box during shipping and get insurance.

• Moderators

I'd say Youths estimates are a tad more towards the "good deal" range than the "fair deal" range.

What's wrong with "good deal"? Truth is there are "Good Deals" all the time. The economy has allowed for "good deals" to become the "common deal". There are 3 recent RC-7's on Ebay that sold between $325 shipped and $400 shipped. I received an email from a guy with an RC-7 for $400 shipped. Shipping will be $50 - $75 and the seller seemed more than pleased with my offer of $400 shipped. I would really prefer not to buy one shipped but as long as he can pack well and insure it, I should be ok.

The RF-7's were $2400/pair retail. 3 - 4 years ago, it was common for them to sell for $1200 but that is not the case today. $800 is pretty consistent and I personally have purchased my son's RF-7's for much less than $800 (granted that was a rediculously super deal). There is a pair of RF-83

Paying 40% of original MSRP for used gear is typically where prices are falling in today's buying climate.

Have to disagree there too. It is very common to buy used gear for 50% - 60% (and often even more). For example, RF-83's retailed for $2500/pair. 40% off would be $1500. Here is a pair of RF-83's in Las Vegas for $1000 Link and a pair in Norfolk for $1300 Link. There is no doubt if you show up with $1200 cash the seller in Norfolk will likely take it than to lose a sale.

Unfortunately for sellers (myself included), it's totally still a buyer's market and audio gear is slow to sell unless it's a super deal.

With that said, I'm all for starting high as a seller. You can always list it and come down on your price over time. It really depends on how quickly you need to get rid of them.

I have a friend in Longwood, FL that just emailed me 2 days ago stating he is looking to build a Klipsch setup (not sure what his budget is) and I am looking for an RC-7 for another friend of mine in Plant City so if you are in the market to sell and you are somewhat local, I might have two buyers for you. I'll PM you my info.

What part of Florida are you in?

I think a person should go listen to a pair of RF-82IIs new and let them decide what they want to pay used for a pair of RF-7s in the local market especially if an RC-7 could be had locally. Then you have to decide which you like better the RF-82IIs/RC-62II or the RF-7 and RC-7 and see which you think you would enjoy more for the money spent.

Youth, I simply felt that your estimates were more towards the "good deal" range. To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with paying $800, lol. When did i say that? But good luck finding them consistently, at that price.. "Have to disagree there too" You're actually agreeing with me given your own estimates of 50/60% of (off) retail, and in fact going higher than what I stated. I said "40% of retail MSRP is normal" Not 40% "OFF" MSRP. You quoted prices you've found on 83's, I didn't realize we were now talking about those as opposed to 7's, or any other speakers for that matter. Either way, if you re-read, we're on the same page. I was just trying to help this perspective buyer form an evaluative price range with more than just one persons opinion. That's the idea right? If he wrote a post stating "I'd like one single persons opinion about the price of these" I wouldn't have commented, he did not.

Jeph, I've only ever been in the market for Cherry. As I find them better to look at (and most do as well given the availability) and prices are different for Black vs Cherry. Your selling price is (for black) within Youths range, but for a pair that needed some work. I surmise the OP was inquiring as to the price of a pair that didn't need work as he didn't state them being "damaged". Given this, would you have not expected $1k pair for the 7's in good/great condition? Again, I think we're all on the same page here, just misreading certain statements.....

• Moderators

To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with paying $800, lol. When did i say that?

LOL when did I say that you said that it was wrong? [:P]

But good luck finding them consistently, at that price..

I must have good luck....or just live in Florida [:D]

I was just trying to help this perspective buyer form an evaluative price range with more than just one persons opinion. That's the idea right?

You are exactly correct Trev. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, just stating that $800 for RF-7's seems to be very common. The "deals" on RF-7's can be had for much less than $800. At least that's what I have found here in Florida. Location will help determine price as well.

If he wrote a post stating "I'd like one single persons opinion about the price of these" I wouldn't have commented, he did not.

You were totally correct in providing your input. That's what this forum is about. I'm all for people disagreeing with each other, as long as we can get along in doing so. This has not always been the case. Everyone's comments in this thread have provided good insight and information for the OP.

Ultimately, he has to decide what he does with that information. I think since we generally do not talk price unless someone asks our opinion, we all jumped at the opportunity to share our thoughts. [:D]

As I shared with the OP, if he does decide to sell, I might have two friend's interested in buying the RF-7 and the RC-7.

Gorm, essentially what you're saying is that you know their value is around $1k but to facilitate a quick sale you'd take $800. I can certainly respect that and have been there. But that's not the question. You can disagree and that's fine. In fact, that's kinda the idea, lots of opinions is what the OP wanted. But we're not talking about what you'd take if you "could probably find a buyer in a week for 700-800". I could sell my house for $500, in minutes. Was that the question, though? What you'd take right now, this minute, "cause I gotta run to another country and need to sell these". Or was it the "going" price?

Youth, I was quoting your "What's wrong with a good deal?" Reinforcing your own opinion that $800 is the norm. I was simply stating that its not the norm, from what I've seen. Again, opinions. I paid $1400 total for MINT: Cherry RF-7's, RS-7's, an RC-7, and an RSW-15 in Cherry. This isn't the norm and to state it as such does nothing to help the OP form any estimates. Lots of "Two cents" being thrown around right now, all for a greater good.

I would have to agree that RF-7s are worth around $1000 a pair. IMHO $800 is an amazing deal and while you do see it from time to time it's more common to see them going for $1000-$1200 in good condition. A quick search on Craigslist shows most of them listed at $1000 to $1200 with one pair at $800 "probably in Florida" lol. Ebay has a pair at $1199 and someone has bid on them so they'll be selling for at least $1199.00.

It is true that Florida seems to have the best deals on everything used from cars to used speakers. When I was looking for a Mercedes GL for my wife, the cars in Florida had the best prices. Luckily I found one local and didn't have to make that trip! Good luck with your sale!

Youth. Additionally, you've totally glided over the point where you've actually agreed (despite disagreeing) with me on the % prices of used equipment. It's all good. All for a greater good, i suppose. We don't even know if he's buying or selling, lol. So that, in my opinion, is actually the greatest point of contention, lol.

I would have to agree that RF-7s are worth around $1000 a pair. IMHO $800 is an amazing deal and while you do see it from time to time it's more common to see them going for $1000-$1200 in good condition.

I am with Vital and Youth on this one.

You cant agree with both, as their opinions differ drastically. Are you two different people at the same time, lol? Their price ranges are totally different. Whom are you agreeing with? $800 or $1k-$1200?

[You cant agree with both, as their opinions differ drastically. Are you two different people at the same time, lol? Their price ranges are totally different. Whom are you agreeing with? $800 or $1k-$1200?

Of course I can agree with both and it's not you that sets the rules for my observations--$800 is a steal, $1,000 would be fair, and if one finds a pair for sell in the local market for $1,200 they should consider what they could get for the same amount of money and I still think their best bang for their buck would be to pick up the RF-7s for that price.