tube amp pinging sound

juniper8

I was wondering if someone could diagnose my problem? When I turn on my Pilot tube amp after a minute or so there is a high pitched ping, it only lasts about a half of a second and only happens once. The best I could describe it is, if you tapped a piece of crystal gently, the sound would be similar. Also is it normal for tube as they warm up to make a tinkling sound? thanks any advice would be great!!!

The sound is probably one of the filaments (heater, grid) in one of the tubes as it heats up. I have that happening in my JM Merlin, While it's warming up, I can lightly tap on the top of the case and an hear it in the speakers. I don't know if it meand a tube is close to failure or not. My Merlin has fairly new tubes (actually only one signal tube), recent production EH. The rectifier is a lightly used Mullard.

Bruce

I was wondering if someone could diagnose my problem? When I turn on my Pilot tube amp after a minute or so there is a high pitched ping, it only lasts about a half of a second and only happens once. The best I could describe it is, if you tapped a piece of crystal gently, the sound would be similar. Also is it normal for tube as they warm up to make a tinkling sound? thanks any advice would be great!!!

Not sure about the pinging sound but, the tingling sound is normal tubes do these when they are warming up..

The sound is probably one of the filaments (heater, grid) in one of the tubes as it heats up. I have that happening in my JM Merlin, While it's warming up, I can lightly tap on the top of the case and an hear it in the speakers. I don't know if it meand a tube is close to failure or not. My Merlin has fairly new tubes (actually only one signal tube), recent production EH. The rectifier is a lightly used Mullard.

Bruce

Bruce it sounds like you may have a microphonic tube it there, or one going south...

Jay

Dont know what "Dean said" it was a link to a website. another piece of the puzzle, the "ping sound" seems to come, from one of a closely matched quad of sed winged c's el34, 6ca7's, that have less than 8 hours on them.. could be it a microphonic tube?

What's happening is the glass in one of the tubes is heating up and expanding. Sometimes it means nothing. Sometimes it is a harbinger of doom - the tube is getting more current than it's supposed to. You might want to get it checked out. Still, pinging just once is probably nothing too abnormal.

I had an Audio Research amp which would periodically start pinging. It would then be a race to the power strip to get it turned off before the high-rise flames developed. Turned out it had a bad diode which would go off spec when it reached a certain temperature. When it was in the shop, on its side with the grillwork off, it never got hot enough to run away. It took a long time to convince the tech guys that the problem was not related to adult beverages.

A tube being microphonic is another way of saying "Replace me now."