La Scala Reflex mod alternative

McMiRA

I've had this idea for a while and have seen it mentioned a few places by others but have never seen it carried out. The idea is to use the la Scala to feed a folded horn or tapped horn for additional low end. Itis a spin off of the reflex mod, the difference is the port/s would run directly out of the factory bass bin on the la Scala ( most likely access door) and theoretically be the slot load into the additional horn. I have built many boxes in my life time in the car audio world using winisd and termpro, I have even attempted a couple horns( read slapped togeather without math), the issue is I have NEVER build a properly tuned horn and have no idea where to start. Anyone have any interest in this project? I'm attaching a rough drawing of the idea, none of it is to scale or proportion. The horn might be taller or shorter or have more folds than depicted. The idea might not even work, just looks like some fun to try

post-55215-13819832893504_thumb.jpg

McMiRA,

I'm no help at all on the engineering of what this mod would do. Looked at your drawings yesterday and wondered about how it would sound. It is a physically quite a big project.

wondered if your goals might be accomplished with another take. Dave Harris did something on the LaScala reflex mod that i found quite interesting. don't have a link at hand, but will see if i can locate it. you may have seen it yourself.

in that project he used the HF part of the cab as the reflex chamber, it was sealed and not ported. Then he put a forward firing shelf type port on the bottom of the cab. It raised the height of the cab 2.5 inches or so. He had options to tune the cab at 35hz for opted, i think, for something around 39hz or 40hz. There was some reason. I think he took the recommendation of djk as i remember. (my memory is not a sure thing at all) apologies to djk in advance if i'm not remembering correctly.

just mention that as food for thought from a non tech type.

Not much help here either, but you're definitely thinking outside the box. It appears you're trying to horn load the vent? I'd try to increase the length of the existing horn to increase extention as opposed to creating a horn for the port.

No expert here, but if you are trying to tune a port to a lower frequency, wouldn't you need a significantly larger horn? I think the La Scala bass horn goes down to about 125 HZ or so and it is quite large.

If you are trying to extend the La Scala's low end cutoff, you will be shooting for a horn that goes from about 30 hz to 50 hz or so (just guessing) and need a horn that has a larger mouth than a K Horn.

Horn in the drawing is not to scale, nor is that the exact design, its just the idea. I know it will be rather long and have a large mouth, that's why I planned on building prototypes out of mdf until I get it right. Considered even building up a la Scala bass bin to play with port location. Thinking of feeding the horn out of the rear of the box in line with the slot load in the cabinet and playing with an internal flare. Just need to know length and the slot size and flare size. Will fold it up from there and see if I can't make it do something. From my understanding the stock cabinet plays down to 50 and the reflex mod takes it a little lower. I was going to see if I could push my luck and take it farther.Im Running the k43 woofers if that matters.

Very interesting.

That said, it reminds me of such efforts as the last iteration of the Lotus Élan; an attempt to make the "Wold's best handling front wheel drive car." Sort of like being the world's tallest midget, or shortest giant.

The La Scala is an excellent speaker. I've owned them and done djk's bass reflex mod (search La Scala bass mod) with excellent results. I would do that simple and easily reversible mod to any La Scalas I owned. If that didn't provide enough bass, I'd add a tapped horn sub.

What you're suggesting is intriguing, and definitely a worthy DIY project, but, IMO, the time, money & plywood would be better spent on a sub, especially a horn loaded sub, to augment the La Scala, rather than trying to turn it into something it is not.

not reinventing the wheel, just want to try something different then the ports. Ive seen the bass reflex mod many times in the forums, and I'm sure its great and i will probably end up doing it myself, i was just wanting to see if it was possible to load an additional lower end horn off the existing cabinet. its completely reversible to the la scala just as is the reflex mod. the idea of slot loading at the driver is just an afterthought that will most likely not come to fruition. my current la scalas are great and will most likely receive the reflex mod. i have an extra pair in the garage that im wanting to experiment with , that s where this folded horn idea came about.

I am pretty sure the La Scala is horn loaded down to about 100 to 125 hz. I read about it on this forum so the info is out there.

Yes, this is true. Who built the LS with the sides splayed out and longer? They would play a little deeper.

Bruce

I am pretty sure the La Scala is horn loaded down to about 100 to 125 hz. I read about it on this forum so the info is out there.

Yes, this is true. Who built the LS with the sides splayed out and longer? They would play a little deeper.

Bruce

Hi Bruce

That was kg4guy

New Project La scala 2nd one done (Twins)

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/137936.aspx