anyone using J.Rivers Media Center with HDMI output?

artto

I've got a new laptop ~ HP Pavillion g6-2235us ~ Windows 8. J.Rivers Media Center 17.

I'm trying to use the HDMI port to play FLAC files on the main audio system. The laptop HDMI is connected to a HDMI port on a NAD C390DD digital integrated amplifier. All the drivers have been updated, the software on the C390 has been updated. I've tried numerous settings in Windows and J.River. Windows Device Manager "sees" the C390. But I can't get the C390 to recognize any signal from the laptop HDMI port. And yes, I've also tried all the obvious things like different HDMI cables or HDMI ports on the C390. No, I don't have another laptop with HDMI to use.

Any ideas?

well, now the C390 isn't showing up in the Device Manager anymore thanks to a lengthy and totally unproductive tech support session with HP.

Don't you just love it when by the end of the hour+ long session you're telling the tech support guy what to do? LOL

I've been through this before with other computer models. Here's just a couple of ideas. My suspicion is that the HDMI on your laptop does not support audio. If you have confirmed that it DOES support audio then check your sound hardware in control panel and be sure that "digital" is checked under the playback tab. Of course, you will have to get it to recognize the device again first.

Edit: I see that you mentioned Windows 8. I'm not sure how the settings are presented to you but also check the properties on your HDMI output device to see the supported formats. I believe this should be set to 48KHz.

I finally got it to work through the 2.0 USB port. Unfortunately this only supports up to 96Khz. And the wierd/confusing thing is that the NAD C390 shows up in the device manager as "speakers" which is pretty dumb IMO. Using the SACD player HDMI I can get 172Khz via HDMI. I was hoping to use 192Khz FLAC via HDMI from the laptop. I'm beginning to think that is not going to happen. I'll try your other suggestions tomorrow.

I've been through this before with other computer models. Here's just a couple of ideas. My suspicion is that the HDMI on your laptop does not support audio. If you have confirmed that it DOES support audio then check your sound hardware in control panel and be sure that "digital" is checked under the playback tab. Of course, you will have to get it to recognize the device again first.

Edit: I see that you mentioned Windows 8. I'm not sure how the settings are presented to you but also check the properties on your HDMI output device to see the supported formats. I believe this should be set to 48KHz.

I have tried a setting in Control Panel ---> Device Manager where it says AMD High Definition Audio Device and the port used is shown as HDMI and it is set as the default device. I can set it to any standard sample rate or let it select the matching one for playback. It's not limited to 48KHz. I even tried disabling all the USB devices in hope of forcing Windows/J.River to use HDMI.

It will work through USB but thats not the point or objective. I want to utilize the higher resolution FLAC files. I know that the NAD C390 will support up to at least 176KHz HDMI because I can play my SACD player through it.

Well, I've gone through every possible comination of setup and configuration. I even tried connecting my HDTVs to the laptop via HDMI and everything was able to be found and seen by Windows 8, except for one HDTV that was manufactured in 2009. Everything else was able to pass the audio signal from the NAD C390 to the recieving device. With HDMI the NAD shows up as AMD High Definition Audio Device on the laptop. All the other recieving devices show the manufacturer and model of the reciever. The C390 is working fine through both the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, but those are limited to 96KHz.

I've informed NAD of the issue and they are supposed to be trying to duplicate it. IMHO, something was overlooked regarding PC based home theater compatibility. Hopefully there will be a resolution.

In J.River - do you have it set to bitstream in the audio section? You have to set it to bitstream in order to hear the HDMI audio.

Also make sure your AMD HDMI audio driver is the latest one. I my HTPC as a prepro in my system and I do all of my processing through J. River. I've used the HDMI out to a receiver before, but now I've configured my HTPC to be not only the sole source - but the enitre brains of my current system. Get back with me and maybe I can walk you through this.

In J.River - do you have it set to bitstream in the audio section? You have to set it to bitstream in order to hear the HDMI audio.

Also make sure your AMD HDMI audio driver is the latest one. I my HTPC as a prepro in my system and I do all of my processing through J. River. I've used the HDMI out to a receiver before, but now I've configured my HTPC to be not only the sole source - but the enitre brains of my current system. Get back with me and maybe I can walk you through this.

Bitstream does not work. I have the latest AMD driver. The NAD C390 simply does not even recognize the HDMI output from my HP laptop. If it did theC390 display would show the sample rate but instead displays the "unlock" message.

I tried a friends HP laptop (his uses Windows 7) and the C390 sync'd up the sample rate right away to 48Khz..

In the meantime it seems some other issues have cropped up. SInce the above mentioned friend's laptop was connected my SACD player no longer sync's up with the C390 thru HDMI at 176Khz. And the C390, if it recognizes a connection at all shows only 48Khz, even with CD playback thru TOSLINK. Something is definitely squirrelly and seems to be getting progressively worse.

I should mention that when I first got the C390 and installed the optional modules, the modules fit in the "PC-like" slots very tightly and they didn't work. I later discovered from tech support that there is transparent yellow tape over the gold pins on the optional module cards. It's very hard to see. The tight fit with the tape may have damaged something.

So quite frankly at this point I think I have multiple issues, kind of
like an Apollo 13 syndrome. HP has requested the laptop back for
testing, repair or replacement, and NAD has agreed to replace the C390
and both optional modules.

I should mention that when I first got the C390 and installed the optional modules, the modules fit in the "PC-like" slots very tightly and they didn't work. I later discovered from tech support that there is transparent yellow tape over the gold pins on the optional module cards. It's very hard to see. The tight fit with the tape may have damaged something.

Artto, the card/module slots may have been damaged or have adhesive/goo on the contacts.

I've seen this doing tech support where I work, when folks left the tape on their inkjet cartridges, and pretty much damaged the contacts, even though they looked fine. At least NAD will replace it for you. That's very good support in my book.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

PHEW!!!!!!!!!

Finally got things resolved.

The problem as it turns out is that the HP Pavilion g62235us laptop PC I bought, for what ever reason is HDMI incompatible with the NAD C390DD.

NAD worked with Crutchfield.com for complete replacement of the C390 and both optional modules. Crutchfield.com's customer service is the absolute gold standard. They had everything shipped out the same day I called. 2 days later UPS delivered it and picked up the old one. Couldn't have been easier!

HP on the other hand, while appearing to be cooperative, always came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with the PC. I even sent it to HP for testing and repair, and more tech support after I got it back, but always claiming nothing was wrong and they wouldn't replace it.

The retailer (Staples) finally came to the rescue (I was way past their 14 day return policy) and let me take home another HP, an Envy dv6-7210us for testing. That one worked at first, but after WIndows had updated the OS a couple times that one went to hell too. I reinstalled Windows 8 on both HP and they still didn't work right, the Pavilion not at all.

I then got a Toshiba C855-S5350 and so far it has been working with J.River, the NAD C390 as well as my other audio software at all sample rate resolutions.

Those of you haven't tried hi-res FLAC music files with a direct digital conncection like HDMI with no conversion in the signal path going to a direct digtal amplifier like the NAD C390DD are really missing something special. This is a paradigm change folks. The C390 blows my best valve and solid state linear analog amplification away. And for the record I'm talking McIntosh, Audio Research, Luxman MB3045, Wright Sound Labs 2A3 SET type stuff. Those actually now sound dull and grainy by comparison. Hard to believe but its true.

PHEW!!!!!!!!!

Finally got things resolved.

The problem as it turns out is that the HP Pavilion g62235us laptop PC I bought, for what ever reason is HDMI incompatible with the NAD C390DD.

NAD worked with Crutchfield.com for complete replacement of the C390 and both optional modules. Crutchfield.com's customer service is the absolute gold standard. They had everything shipped out the same day I called. 2 days later UPS delivered it and picked up the old one. Couldn't have been easier!

HP on the other hand, while appearing to be cooperative, always came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with the PC. I even sent it to HP for testing and repair, and more tech support after I got it back, but always claiming nothing was wrong and they wouldn't replace it.

The retailer (Staples) finally came to the rescue (I was way past their 14 day return policy) and let me take home another HP, an Envy dv6-7210us for testing. That one worked at first, but after WIndows had updated the OS a couple times that one went to hell too. I reinstalled Windows 8 on both HP and they still didn't work right, the Pavilion not at all.

I then got a Toshiba C855-S5350 and so far it has been working with J.River, the NAD C390 as well as my other audio software at all sample rate resolutions.

Those of you haven't tried hi-res FLAC music files with a direct digital conncection like HDMI with no conversion in the signal path going to a direct digtal amplifier like the NAD C390DD are really missing something special. This is a paradigm change folks. The C390 blows my best valve and solid state linear analog amplification away. And for the record I'm talking McIntosh, Audio Research, Luxman MB3045, Wright Sound Labs 2A3 SET type stuff. Those actually now sound dull and grainy by comparison. Hard to believe but its true.

Glad to hear you got things worked out. Sounds like HP has really gone to the dogs, it was once a great company. I agree the new digital stuff has really upped the bar, I was sad to see my tube amps go.