which would you do? (music transport question)

If you've got all of your music in FLAC format on a server, setup with DLNA software (twonky in my case). And you have a laptop (15" macbook pro, c2duo, 8GB RAM).

Would you A) buy a $500 24/192 USB DAC and connect to your laptop for output to a preamp/integrated amp, or B) buy an Oppo BDP-93/95 and a cheap monitor, using the internal DAC and analogue output to a preamp/integrated amp?

both are able to use a physical LAN connection. both are able to access and play the FLAC files in non-transcoded format. Laptop does not play DVD-A or SACD. Oppo requires the purchase of an extra display. Both have remotes, but the oppo is more feature rich.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been on this path for a while. Get a good external DAC. Lots of good ones out there and you don't have to spend a mint. Best DAC I have heard in my system cost under $300 (Maverick Audio D2 tube).

Considering your choice in subwoofers, I'd say you have impeccable taste.

I really like my logitech remote, but I've sort of cooled to their other products due to poor technical support and long term commitment (or lack thereof) to any product that isn't an input device. In this instance, paying a premium for an already EOL'd device from this company doesn't sit well with me.

I really like my logitech remote, but I've sort of cooled to their other products due to poor technical support and long term commitment (or lack thereof) to any product that isn't an input device. In this instance, paying a premium for an already EOL'd device from this company doesn't sit well with m

My whole audio system is EOL.[:D] .....From my 1935 Power Tubes to my Modified Altec/Khorns. Pretty much everything I own is obsolete.

When it comes to stuff I can work on and replace parts without the OEM, I'm all for EOL. When it comes to modern electronics that are engineered to last only a few years, not so much..

I think you only have to look at it lasting only a few years. There have been many developments in how music is sourced over the last 20 years and how digital is stored and played. There will be many products coming that will offer more and more.

My 3 Squeezeboxs all cost less than my 1 tubed CD player and have all performed flawlessly for over 2 years. A squeezebox touch is not an end-all product in the area of source. I view them as a transistion product for which there is currently not a good replacement. But I believe that there will be a better product coming.

Would you A) buy a $500 24/192 USB DAC and connect to your laptop for output to a preamp/integrated amp, or B) buy an Oppo BDP-93/95 and a cheap monitor, using the internal DAC and analogue output to a preamp/integrated amp?

Option A is better, but IMO if you want it slick and you would spend the money buy a pre-loved Mac mini, run ITunes, use Pure Music to process the data (music) to a good DAC. Consider converting from FLAC to a more friendly lossless format. You could store the files on the laptop or a LAN storage device.

Works very very well for me.

Consider converting from FLAC to a more friendly lossless format.

What's friendlier than FLAC? Dog
Well I suppose you could say FLAC is friendly unless you use ITunes to manage your music database. None of the software music management and player solutions that I have tried manage music files as well as ITunes, however it has its faults as well. One problem with ITunes is the sound processor isn't high resolution but when you overlay Pure Music that problem goes away. I would also mention that ITunes on PCs is rather buggy as well and Pure Music only works on a Mac.

Why go with an expensive Blue ray player? With a software system you can upgrade without breaking the bank. [8-|]The need for a DAC remains, but as mentioned earlier you can get good ones for under $500 and if you are willing to go the pre-loved route even less.

The Blue ray player solution is simpler and for some that might be better.

Option A is better, but IMO if you want it slick and you would spend the money buy a pre-loved Mac mini, run ITunes, use Pure Music to process the data (music) to a good DAC. Consider converting from FLAC to a more friendly lossless format. You could store the files on the laptop or a LAN storage device.

Works very very well for me.

FLAC is friendly, it is Apple itunes that is unfriendly. There is no reason that itunes can't play FLAC files other than the F in FLAC stands for FREE. JRiver Media Center is a great program and doesn't have the same hangup.

The Schiit Bifrost has my attention. I'd probably start out with the upgraded analog section, but skip the USB upgrade and use toslink from the laptop. I've heard that while the hardware supports 24/192 over toslink, the OS actually limits it to 24/96. It may not be THAT big of a deal.

I'm looking at something like the Bottlehead Stereomour for my first amp, though when it comes time to actually buying an amp I'll also be on the look out for any used tube amp deals. I like the DIY factor of the bottlehead and that it's integrated ..so one less link in the signal path.

who knows over the course of this next year. too many choices and just trying to do some research and set some targets to work towards so that when the money is burning a hole in my pocket I'm ready to make an educated decision.

If you've got all of your music in FLAC format on a server, setup with DLNA software (twonky in my case). And you have a laptop (15" macbook pro, c2duo, 8GB RAM).

Funny, because I also have an identical MacBook Pro as you described, although in my case, I just recently bought a newer MacBook Pro.

Any, being in the same conundrum (although in addition to the MacBook Pro, I have a fileserver that I've setup in a spare bedroom where I host all my digital music files), I've went with option A, in my case a $700 Pioneer Elite N-50 DAC/network streamer.

pioneer-elite-n50004Medium.jpg

This thing allows me to stream directly from my music server, which is set up as DLNA, in addition to having "AirPlay" from my iTunes library. I did also add the bluetooth adaptor, so I could stream anything from bluetooth enabled devices, such as my android table (I also have an iPad and iPhone). It will also allow me to stream internet radio as well (and I found some really good "channels"). This thing is basically now my "tuner" as well, as I pretty much gave up on regular FM broad-cast radio.

What I may have to try is that since I bought my new MacBook Pro, I may have to re-purpose my old one as a music server, get that Pure Music program that is being touted around here and try playing it through the Async USB input on that Pioneer unit and see how it sounds.

Tube magic dac maybe? Haven't had any experience with them but I have come across them a couple times looking for something similar. Rather inexpensive way to get a to connect to b

I have both of their models. Made my Cambridge DacMagic Audio sound dumb.