Thoughts on being an Audiophile

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this while looking for answers on a MAC mini audio question. Very well written.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/paul-raulerson/audio-evolution-2013-part-one-my-take-audiophilia-328/

From the article:

The premise of the article is fairly non-controversial, or at least is easily defended in principle.

"...Yet high quality, good sounding, gear costs a lot of money...I want the very best sound I can get while spending the least amount of money I can, and ending up with something that I am proud of. I do not want to:

• Spend a lot of money

• Make expensive mistakes

• Go to extremes

• Study the subject matter to the point of exhaustion

In other words, I want a fantastic sounding system on the cheap. That means compromise, which is okay with me, as long as I get to choose what I compromise!"

One of the biggest issues that I have is the idea of "high quality, good sounding gear" is something that you can safety drive a 18-wheeled truck through, however. Once you start to examine this assumption, and especially "...[it] costs a lot of money" as a relatively unbounded argument however, it starts to take on the characteristics of being stuck in the proverbial Mississippi mud.

For instance, where do you put your money first? For me, it's in the one area that is most responsible to the limitations of what we hear, and from my observations, readings, discussions with experts, and my own experiments, actually happens after the last stage of electrons do their work: in the loudspeakers themselves, the room acoustics in which they create their listening space, and how the two interact.

Clearly, most people will not agree with the above statement since by their own example they do not set their buying habits based on this observation. They instead believe that it happens somewhere upstream of this. Happy trails to them.

So the real issue as I perceive it is: "...what are most people actually doing with their audio money?..." The answers that I get back are pretty disappointing and discouraging--in my view. Perhaps most people buy gear like they look for spouses in this male-dominated pastime: little wonder why so many audiophiles can't settle on a finished product.

Chris

little wonder why so many audiophiles can't settle on a finished product.

Maybe it's the desire to try different things?

One of the risks that we take when we write in this forum is that our readers understand the meaning of what we are trying to convey. Alas, in this case, I believe that communication of my meaning did not occur.

I really wasn't talking about the relatively inexpensive trades and DIY stuff that is apparent by your profile, rather, without identifying particular instances since that would clearly be impolite, I was talking about those who buy hi-fi electronics of the cost of new automobiles, then turn around and sell it again without apparently turning on this equipment and using it for some time, since it doesn't now fit their perception of their "needs". These folks can also be found on the pages of "high end" audiophile magazine forums, complaining about "look and feel", or that it isn't "the newest thing". That was the object of my discussion, above. This forum typically doesn't have those type of folks on it that stay for long.

I'm actually not adverse to DIY and low-end revival stuff to see if something old or out of specifications can be brought back to life and perform well. I see that as a hobby, not a pastime.

Chris

"I'm actually not adverse to DIY and low-end revival stuff to see if something old or out of specifications can be brought back to life and perform well. I see that as a hobby, not a pastime."

-- I see it as being part of the hobby. Mike is probably generating some of the best sound on the forum. Although I believe it's a general rule that more money spent will net subjectively better sound, the emphasis should be on the word "general". Diminishing returns is a factor as well, though I don't always know where that line is. We all have our limits when it comes to spending money, I know I certainly have mine - you won't see me throwing wads of cash on interconnects, etc., or anything at all on out on the fringe items like power cords or cryogenically frozen tubes. Like everyone else, I have my own ideas about what matters most. For me, it will always be the loudspeaker first followed closely by the amplifier. I feel bad if I gave anyone the impression that throwing gobs of money at a system is the only way to guarantee a sound that satisfies. At any rate, limited cash in the hands of someone who knows how to get the specific kind of sound they're after can produce amazing results.

Dean said " At any rate, limited cash in the hands of someone who knows how to get
the specific kind of sound they're after can produce amazing results." I couldnt agree more. One of the best pre amps I have ever had ($300.00) still haunts me. Wish I had never sold it, especially when I think about the $ thousands I have since spent. That little guy was very satisfying. Gees I hope my wife doesnt see this post..[:#]

Cornman