difference between crites CW1526C and Klipsch K43E..?

Daan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One panel mounted for fitting. BTW; the ALK filters did not fit easily into the upper section anymore as I also opened the doghouse.

Later I put them on a nice speakerstand next to the cabs, between the cab and amp which made a very short speakerwire possible and finetuning on the crossovers themselves.

The ALK 's are beautifull to look at anyway, so no prob. here....

The closed backs look just the same as the ported ones, with a set of WBT speakerterminals in the middle. I dyed them with teak-oil later which made them look almost OEM.

post-35476-13819854312784_thumb.jpg

ClaudeJ1,

Would you say more about crossing at 500hz? I may not be tracking the conversation correctly, and apologize in advance if so.

Doesn't Klipsch cross the K-55 at 400hz? If i'm understanding your post, that would pose some detriment to the sound. right?

I will keep on using the system as a three-way with the tweeter on top of the cabinet.

Although the horn specs show it will not go low enough, integration of the midrange as well as musical details are much better using this horn over the much smaller Fastrack.

The fastrack however is THE drop-in replacement horn for those who do not want to change the orignality of their La Scala's.

Just completed the make-over this evening and I'm very pleased with the appearance as well with the sound, only not sure I'll keep the K43E ; it does exactly as described earlier as having more "body" in the 400Hz region which in my case is a bit too much.

More listening to do and finetuning.

Nico

ClaudeJ1,

Would you say more about crossing at 500hz? I may not be tracking the conversation correctly, and apologize in advance if so.

Doesn't Klipsch cross the K-55 at 400hz? If i'm understanding your post, that would pose some detriment to the sound. right?

Since the EV horn is shorter and loses pattern control at 630., they do say that the limitation is the EV driver that mates with it. You can probably get away with a K55 at 400 hz on that short of a horn, but it would be subject to measurement, which I would do if it were my setup. Having measured countless horn/driver combinations, I say that without proper instruments you can't know for sure.

For example. The K55 with the K401 vs. the K700 on a Heresy yields a different curve down low, even though the driver can go down lower than 400 Hz. the horn cuts off way above that (unloads), so it's then a tiny direct radiator at that point............more distortion.

Speaking about the Belle in particular, PWK himself told me that after he designed the K-500 for the Belle he said the K400 was a lot longer than it needed to be. Measuring is the only way to tell no matter what.

"
Since the EV horn is shorter and loses pattern control at 630."

The 1/4W depth of the HR60 is enough to cross over at 450hz (this is one octave above the 1/4W frequency), the HR90 is deep enough for 500hz.

The Di for theHR60 only opens up 1.1dB from 1Khz to 500hz, the HR90 is actually 0.2dB higher at 500hz than it is at 1Khz.

The Di of the HR90 is ±3dB from 500h~16Khz (H+V combined). The HR90 is wider, at 23.9".

I have one pair of HR60 and the throat adaptors for 1-3/8" drivers, and five of the HR90.

Posted Image

EV DH7 on HR90 with JBL 4508 tuned to 28hz (one port blocked) with Eminence Magnum drivers.

"Also the K55V driver drops off rapidly past 5000 cps."

I agree that a tweeter is required with this driver, but where it dies off is horn dependant. If the verticals are collapsed, you can squeeze another 1000 cycles out of it.

This thread is going...I don't know where to, but here some more pics of the HR60 build.

After filling the back of the "front expansions of the horn" so to speak, and covering the horns with liquid rubber. Also added rope caulk to the 13/8 adaptors.

post-35476-13819854634152_thumb.jpg

And this is the front, waiting for the gasket to set before I can fill in the thin free space around the flange left on purpose; this space is filled with wood-coloured elastic putty.

This way the only physical contact between the EV horn and bassbin are the four screws through the front flange. Even the vibrations coming through here will be absorbed by the thick foam gasket underneath the flange of the EV horn.... I'v heard the [bad] effects of vibrations before and always try to avoid them since.

Experimenting with the Beyma CP25 and Crites CP125 this evening.

post-35476-13819854635592_thumb.jpg

Why the Eminence drivers?

They are a nice driver, especially for the $75 each (NOS) I got them for.

The (free) JBL 4508 cabinets were left over from the JBL tent sale after the drivers were sold off, it cost $100 to go collect them from out of state.