Adapter question

I'm normally pretty good at finding things like this through google but this time I'm not having much luck.

My DAC has several inputs. I'm using the USB input with my computer, It also has an optical input (Toslink), coaxial S/PDIF input and a BNC coaxial digital input. I'm looking for an adapter that would go from a 3.5 mm (i-pod type output) to one of the listed inputs on the DAC. Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl

The mini plug on the ipod is an analog connection. The inputs listed on your DAC are all digital. Is there an AUX input on the DAC? It would have left/right rca type connections.

Didn't realize it was analog, I guess that's my issue.

What kind of computer is it?

If it's a typical PC with a SoundBlaster, see here:

http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.com/2012/05/audio-creative-x-fi-spdif-toslink-and.html

If it's an Apple product, then you'll need a mini-TOSLINK adapter or a cable that jumps TOSLINK sizes:

spdif.jpg

I've got the connection from my computer to DAC covered. I'm using a USB cable. I was just trying to run the i-pod through the DAC to see if it would sound better but there's no analog input. I didn't realize (or really think it through obviously) that the i-pod output was analog. DUH, if you can plug headphones in to it there it must be analog. Brain fart on my part, for all to see!

I read an article about the quality of the headphone jack in apple a devices, and they rated pretty darn good. It seems to me it was somebody who was contemplating buying an expensive DAC which connected to the bottom of the device, where you plug in the power, then provided RCA stereo outs. Seems that it came out that the built in DAC of the iPhone or whatever it was, was as good as the high dollar external one.

I was just trying to run the i-pod through the DAC to see if it would sound better but there's no analog input. I didn't realize (or really think it through obviously) that the i-pod output was analog. DUH, if you can plug headphones in to it there it must be analog. Brain fart on my part, for all to see!

Not necessarily, Carl. The output on the iPods ARE analog, but the headphone out on the MacBooks also have an optical out through the same hole. You use a miniature Toslink for that, as pictured by Quiet Hollow.

Bruce

I was just trying to run the i-pod through the DAC to see if it would sound better but there's no analog input. I didn't realize (or really think it through obviously) that the i-pod output was analog. DUH, if you can plug headphones in to it there it must be analog. Brain fart on my part, for all to see!

Not necessarily, Carl. The output on the iPods ARE analog, but the headphone out on the MacBooks also have an optical out through the same hole. You use a miniature Toslink for that, as pictured by Quiet Hollow.

Bruce

No MacBook here.

If your needing a digital out from the iPod , providing the ipod is an ipod touch with wifi, and are willing to use a work around you can buy an apple airport express. The audio output on it is a toslink and you can then stream via airplay. If this isn't an option look for a dock.

If your needing a digital out from the iPod , providing the ipod is an ipod touch with wifi, and are willing to use a work around you can buy an apple airport express. The audio output on it is a toslink and you can then stream via airplay. If this isn't an option look for a dock.

For as infrequently I use it in that application, it wouldn't be worth the expense. If it were a simple cable, fine. I can still use it without running it through the DAC if I need to but I mostly stream MOG through my PC for listening.

Don't succumb to scope creep. Identify your primary source and purchase to suit that device. Anything you could possibly have on the ipod will be available via Mog, Pandora, or a desktop application version.

I'm not quite sure what scope creep is, but everything else makes sense.

"I'm going to change my oil."

(later, while underneath the car replacing oil filter) "Hmm, I need to flush the radiator. repack my wheel bearings. replace the rear end oil. new spark plugs. head gasket. exhaust."

that's project scope creep. the goal was to get nice audio out of your pc for local files and streaming services. mission accomplished, and the rest is just noise at this point. :P

"Scope creep" . . . definition: "the high school history teacher who drank bourbon every morning between classes and tried to hide it on his breath by chugging Scope after the bourbon" . . . "Scope creep."