MCM 1900 Cross country gathering trip

smashwuf

The attached image is the result of our 3866 mile coast to coast trip. The trip started two Thursdays ago when we flew to Boston, to pick up the rental truck and load it with 11 MWM and MWMS bass bins from Terry Hanley Audio Systems. This is the Hanley family, known for Bill Hanley, the father of festival sound, and the audio engineer at Woodstock. We even got to see the speakers from Woodstock still in their warehouse! Then we drove to Ohio to pick up gear in Ohio, then Indiana. We went right by the Klipsch HQ on Sunday on our way to Eminence Kentucky to get 20 new drivers.

I got home and unloaded yesterday, and now I just slept for 20 hours straight. Tomorrow I start going through these, and refurbishing them.

I am still looking for one more touring MWM cabinet on the west coast, and eventually 4 more after that for another "stack" We have 11 MWM's now, and need 12 for the current goal. Eventually I want to get a total of 16 MWM cabinets. If anyone has one or up to 5 more let me know!

-Bryan

post-59170-13819856195052_thumb.jpg

This is going into a modular system that will go to festivals. We're already looking at a booking for Burning man this summer into a PsiTrance camp that may use it all.

There will be 3 "subsystems" that can work individually , or together. Each subsystem consists of 4 MWM's, 2 MWMS, 2 MSSM, and 2 MSM, and potentially another tweeter depending on the driver we select for the MSM. Each "System" can operate as a stereo pair, or be operated as a Mono component to a larger system., so, 2 systems could be set up as left and right channel, and the 3rd o our 3 systems could be a stereo pair split between house left, and right, or perhaps a center channel, or any number of supplementary configurations, or as a "second stage" for festivals that need such configurations.

With new drivers in at least the MWM's these systems can hold their own against Funktion One party stacks which have become a benchmark in the electronic music festival space.

The amplifiers we are using are older Crown K-series "Balanced Power" amplifiers.. A single K2 amp is used for each MWM, and a pair of K1 amps to drive the MSM and MSSM cabinets. Each "subsystem" can produce 130 dBC below 80 Hz, at around 120 dBA at 20 feet, while consuming a fairly steady 16-18 Amps. This means each system only requires a single 120 VAC outlet, and we've even done 130 dBC on a really clean signal source and kept it under 12A at that show. When doing mobile sound at festivals in remote locations, AC power budget is a matter of critical concern, so this efficiency is remarkable.

We currently have enough amps and cabinets to operate 3 "systems" as described. We'd like to find cabinets, and parts to build a 4th.

-Bryan

The attached image is the result of our 3866 mile coast to coast trip. The trip started two Thursdays ago when we flew to Boston, to pick up the rental truck and load it with 11 MWM and MWMS bass bins from Terry Hanley Audio Systems. This is the Hanley family, known for Bill Hanley, the father of festival sound, and the audio engineer at Woodstock. We even got to see the speakers from Woodstock still in their warehouse! Then we drove to Ohio to pick up gear in Ohio, then Indiana. We went right by the Klipsch HQ on Sunday on our way to Eminence Kentucky to get 20 new drivers.

I got home and unloaded yesterday, and now I just slept for 20 hours straight. Tomorrow I start going through these, and refurbishing them.

I am still looking for one more touring MWM cabinet on the west coast, and eventually 4 more after that for another "stack" We have 11 MWM's now, and need 12 for the current goal. Eventually I want to get a total of 16 MWM cabinets. If anyone has one or up to 5 more let me know!

-Bryan

There is a new king in town

Forum member JWC is selling a bunch of MWM cabinets right now in the Garage sale forum. Look for something like "Some stuff now, more later". The only issue is that everything is in Georgia.

Edit: Well, I just checked the ad and the MWMs are not listed. However, JWC has several pair. That is the stuff coming "later" I suppose. You may want to contact him and see if available now.

"There is a new king in town"

yup, and by a long shot. You guys are killing me.

Wow! Who could have imagined that? It looks like the MCM setups are getting more popular as time goes by.

A few days ago, I showed pix of my speakers to an acquaintance, who said he thought nobody had big speakers anymore. How little he knows. The cult is growing, not shrinking.

We landed a festival gig in mid August in San Jose where I can break out all this gear. I just hope I can find one more MWM cabinet to even out the low end, and make it look more aesthetically balanced. I also need to ind 2 more Crown K1 amps if I can. But, this will be da bomb!