A steak from Walmart?

Coytee

Have any of you guys ever tried tri-tip steaks? It's a cut that seems to be found only in California, but it's part of every cow, so it should be available everywhere. I'm not any kind of food connoisseur, so I can't tell you any more than that it's triangular and is popular for grilling in southern California. I always found tri-tip to be pretty tasty, and a bit different from the usual types of steak.

My brother used to live there and really liked barbecuing, so I got to eat tri-tip at his place at least once every visit.

Wiki to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

According to this page, it's inexpensive and full of flavor: http://bbq.about.com/od/steakglossary/g/tri_tip_steak.htm

tenderloins from cows who must have died in orgasm, and other cuts fit for the crowned heads of Europe.

OOooooh ooooooh, you got my attention. Work has been taking to all places between Pasadena and Galveston..... is it somewhere in between? I could have sworn I traveled down NASA Blvd. or something like that. Looked like the main entrance to NASA was on the east side of the street. Sound familiar?

One of my new favorites is the flat iron steak, they are not easy to find though. They are tricky for the butcher to cut and there are only four per animal but they fall right under the tenderloin cut for overall tenderness. When I do find them at the store I buy most of them up. I prefer them slow cooked in my smoker as there is less shrinkage but they take 3-4 hours to cook thoroughly. They are great on the grill too if you are in a hurry. Otherwise I go to Costco and pick up a three pack of prime ribeye's or NY strip steaks and a couple of rock lobster tails. Colossal King Crab when it is available. Jumbo shrimp/prawns marinated in Coco Lopez, pineapple juice and a hint of Sprite then skewered and grilled are always a hit!