M19 > Khorns trade, what's the deal?

Arash

I want your opinion about this situation. actually I never had Khorns, as you may know I'm from Iran and Klipsch Heritages are so rare here. there is only a pair of Khorns a friend has. I have CW and CS (and a nice pair of Altex M19) but I always wanted my Khorns. now the friend suggested to trade his Khorns with my Altec M19. my M19 is in good condition and reconed recently in US, woofers are just brand new. those Khorns are in bad condition, grills? you've gotta be kiddin'. they are built 1956, woofer are Blue or Green I saw once in the chamber. there is no K-77 tweeter, no K-55 no K-400! no nothing. this is only a pr of cabinets + pr of woofers + XOvers. cabinets are begging for a full restoration.

now, considering:

this is the only pr of Khorns here and if I don't get them, I would do without any Khorns forever

I have K-77, K-55 and also K-400 and CW1526 which could be used on the speaker

I can sell my M-19s for 1500USD here

I'm building a special lathe to make round horns mold and then go for fiberglass, and soon I'll use some 8" wide band speakers (possibly TB1808) and maybe Faital Pro HF200 and BMS 4592ND

now what do you think? what is the smartest thing to do?

this are some picture of speakers, those tweets and K-400 all are mine, I borrowed him:

upload.tehran98.com/img1/p4cbi7sa729ehgvnwpq.jpg

http://upload.tehran98.com/img1/bzwkqy4xlhgozy7ebzmw.jpg

I would say if you got the stuff to make them work maybe get new woofers you would have K-Horns then. I think I would go for it. Need more info about crossover and the woofers in the bass section. If you can not get new woofers I think that would be the only problem. Rick

I would say if you got the stuff to make them work maybe get new woofers you would have K-Horns then. I think I would go for it. Need more info about crossover and the woofers in the bass section. If you can not get new woofers I think that would be the only problem. Rick

actually K-33 are at good working condition in there. they sound pretty good and deep. I also have a NIB pair of CW1526 from Bob. XOvers are upgraded by Bob's Sonicaps, original T2A and big inductors also. but cabinets certainly need restoration. there are some scratches on the bottom. no grills. no side panels. no upper plate (plate on top of the speaker) I have to build them. the only rean soI'm considering these Khorns is that, to me Khorns are like an instrument, like Violins, they got soul, and I always wanted a restored pair, but I'm not that good in woodworking.

I agree with Rick. Nothing loads the room with sound like Khorns. It's a subjective preference, but that's me.

yeah I've heard them. they sound pretty good with K-55 and 511B horn and some B&C tweeter. the sound impact is fantastic.

If you spend some time and do a good job on the surface preparation you could paint these any number of great colors and they would look stunning you could even paint the horns contrasting colors. There are high build primer pains you could apply then surface sand repeating this process of prime and sand until you achieve the surface smoothness you desire then color coat. You could top coat with a hi solids hi gloss for a piano finish if you want to spend the time, the speakers would look stunning.The major cost would be time and paint. Best regards Moray James.

I've actually tried searching the web on the color topic before and been unsuccessful in finding an answer. Aside from wood veneer and boring black, what are some popular "audiophile" colors for speakers? I've seen horns painted white, yellow, red - but can't really nail anything down for the cabinets themselves.

The easiest thing is to get some nice hardwood veneered plywood and attach sheets to the front, trimmed with another type of wood along the top and bottom. Add a water based finish and you are good to go. But make sure you really want K horns first.

How expensive is skilled woodworking labor in yoru country?