THX Ultra2 Subs connecting to Pioneer Elite question

Bricker4ever

Just your average homeowner that is probably in way over his head. That being said, I looked at the Pioneer Elite forums and they suck. So, I thought I would ask here.

I recently built a home theater room and purchased the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 system from a store that had them as a floor model. (long story) Anyways, love the speakers but have not been able to get the two subwoofers to work. The guys that came in and wired everything up attached the KA 1000 THX and KW-120-X subwoofers exactly how it is spelled out in the manual. They spent about an hour trying to get the receiver to send an output but were unable to do so. They then attached an ipod directly to the subs and the subs work. So, they told me that the Pioneer Elite SC-67 that I own was broken and to call Pioneer. I really don't think that is the case, I just think they didn't have it hooked up correctly. I spoke to a guy that is somewhat of an audiophile and he said that I need an RCA Y connector to the back of the receiver where the sub output is. I tried that and it didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might try? I've downloaded the 100+ page manual for the receiver and from what I can tell everything is hooked up properly.

Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if you've tried everything in the manual and you bought from an audio store and they came to hook them up and also tried just an iPod in to verify sub amp is working correctly that they were right and something is messed up in your receiver. Do you have all speakers set to small and subs on? In audio menus? Run Mcacc?

I got Pioneer not Elite, but I've seen few Elite manuals and they all had pretty similar speaker setting, well of course Elite has more sofisticated and more detailed setting.

check sub seeting: there are NO, YES and Plus setting for the sub. "Plus" setting should send signal to the sub even if speakers set to "small".

also like scrappydue said try to set your speakers to "small" or sub to "Plus".

did you check crossover setting?

I was using my SC-35 with two Martin Logan subs. I would run the LFE out to the sub in in the Klipsch amp. Definitely set your mains to small. That will take the low-end frequency off of your mains and let the subs handle the low-end like they were designed to do. I also set the crossover to 80hz. That should really wake the subs up.

OK, I went through the configuration again and made sure I set the speakers to small and the subs were set to on. Everything looked great. I then ran the MCACC again, using the manual to step me through it. They still didn't work. Then, I plugged the RCA Y cable into both the subwoofer 1 and subwoofer 2 ports on the receiver and then out to the amplifier. Both of the subs are now producing a little bit of sound, BUT, there is a noticeable hum coming from them at all times.

The bad news is that the store I bought the speakers from is in Idaho and I am in Maryland. The guys that came out to set up my projector, screen and speakers are a local A/V company. I think what I need to do is try to find a local Klipsch/Pioneer installation company and have them take a look. Before I do that, I am going to take the other advice and call Pioneer to have them step me through the connections to make sure they don't see anything first.

you said they tried an ipod and it worked fine right? if thats the case then i would say its the receiver for sure. do you have a second smaller system you can borrow a receiver from for a bit to try it out. or maybe a friend close that would let you use their receiver. even a stereo one would work. anything with a sub out rca just to try.

I have accidentally plugged the rca cord into the wrong input since they are all so close to gether. I have also recently noticed, using pro style amps for passive sub, I have the gain knob around 2 O'clock. My plate amp subs never needed the gain past 9 or 10 O'clock. Try turning up the gain a bit while playing test tones.

Then, I plugged the RCA Y cable into both the subwoofer 1 and subwoofer 2 ports on the receiver and then out to the amplifier. Both of the subs are now producing a little bit of sound, BUT, there is a noticeable hum coming from them at all times.

Could be a ground loop hum. Try a cheater plug between the sub amp power cord and the wall socket and see if it goes away.

I am sorry, I don't mean to offend anybody.........But NO,NO,NO do not permanently defeat the safety ground on any piece of equipment that has a third prong for ground. It is there for a reason. It may be permissible to defeat it temporarily for troubleshooting purposes but keep your wits about you when doing so.

babadono

I am sorry, I don't mean to offend anybody.........But NO,NO,NO do not permanently defeat the safety ground on any piece of equipment that has a third prong for ground. It is there for a reason. It may be permissible to defeat it temporarily for troubleshooting purposes but keep your wits about you when doing so.

babadono

Good advice, not to get rid of a safety feature.

It may be permissible to defeat it temporarily for troubleshooting purposes but keep your wits about you when doing so.

No offense taken[;)]

Ground lift switches were put on amplifiers for years just for this purpose. You can unplug the unit before touching it to be safe if you like.

I'm sure there's still 10's of thousands of older houses out there with non grounded outlets. People are not dropping like flies. I do understand however the potential for danger and only use a cheater plug as a last resort with caution.