This a good deal?

cdub5

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ele/3995513939.html

Currently I have a reference set up with two rf 82ii and rc 62ii. I've had them for about a year and a half, and I like them, running them off a pioneer elite sc61, just curious about the heritage line. How much of an upgrade would these be? How big are these things? Amazon listed them at about 2 feet wide,2 feet deep, and 39 inches tall. I always thought these speakers were bigger than that, and I know Amazon doesn't always show the correct product description. Price seems cheap, compared to what I thought these speakers went for. To get these i would first have to sell my reference, which doesn't seem easy to do since there are always such great deals on new ones. Thoughts/advice?

There is another post for la scalas in the not so immediate area that are similar in price, just no pics and no description. I guess this is the going rate for these?

apparently my link is not posting correctly, and I can't seem to fix that. Not trying to break any forum rules, but the post is for a pair of la scalas with unfinished wood for $1100. Seen to be in great cosmetic condition in the pics.

You will see la scalas all the time around the 800-1200 range in pretty good shape. Really clean ones will prolly fetch 13-1800. Newer la scala ii's which you won't see very often will be above 2500 for sure. If I were you I would try and find someone around you with heritage stuff before you sell yours off. And while the dimensions don't sound that big, believe me, la scalas are pretty big. They are very noticeable in your room since the are so boxy. I would start a thread asking for heritage owners in your area and see if you can go get a demo.

only you can dedcide if this is a good deal for you. Best regards Moray James.

SPECIFICATIONS

• BUILT FROM:

• BUILT UNTIL:

• CROSSOVER FREQUENCY:
    HF: 4500Hz
    MF: 400Hz

• DIMENSIONS:
    35.5" (90.17cm) x 23.75" (60.33cm) x 24.5" (62.23cm)

• ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
    Birch Plywood

• ENCLOSURE TYPE:
    Fully horn-loaded

• FINISHES:
    Unfinished Birch, Birch Lacquer, Black Lacquer

• FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    53Hz-17kHz(+-) 4dB

• MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT:
    121dB SPL

• MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT:
    121dB SPL

• MID FREQUENCY HORN:
    Exponential Horn

• MIDRANGE:
    K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

• NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms

• POWER HANDLING:
    100 w max continuous (400 w peak)

• SENSITIVITY:
    104dB @ 1watt/1meter

• TWEETER:
    K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

• WEIGHT:
    123 lbs. (55.84kg)

• WOOFER:
    K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite
    cone / folded horn-loaded

Thanks fellas for all the responses. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the price. I've always thought of LaScalas as being a couple grand each, even used, so seeing a pair for that amount seemed to good to be true. If I were to go forward with this, would the rc 62ii I have work with these as a center. I know it's not a perfect timbre match, but could it work for the time being? Anyone know the range for the sale price of 1.5-ish year old set of RF 82ii? I feel like the rf82 are like a car. There value seems to drop drastically once they leave the lot, as opposed to speakers in the heritage line, or RF 83s for example.

Thanks fellas for all the responses. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the price. I've always thought of LaScalas as being a couple grand each, even used, so seeing a pair for that amount seemed to good to be true. If I were to go forward with this, would the rc 62ii I have work with these as a center. I know it's not a perfect timbre match, but could it work for the time being? Anyone know the range for the sale price of 1.5-ish year old set of RF 82ii? I feel like the rf82 are like a car. There value seems to drop drastically once they leave the lot, as opposed to speakers in the heritage line, or RF 83s for example.

A couple grand each for new LS 2's. Older ones usually fall right between the $900 and $1500/pair depending on the region and availability. There are exceptions on the higher end, but by the looks of the ones you show, the price is about right, IMO.

As for a center, the best is another LaScala. Most people end up with something smaller like an Academy or a Heresy because of the room they take up. Keep in mind Heritage are 3 way speakers...

That's a good deal, but prices like that are not uncommon. If that's the finish you really like, go for it! However, if you'd prefer a different finish or a different year, keep your money until you see a pair you really like.

As for a centre, a third La Scala is ideal, but a Belle is almost equally good, and its reduced depth actually helps reduce its interference with the main speakers, so it could even be your best choice.

Finally, La Scalas are not small speakers, but within a few weeks or a month, they won't seem nearly as large as they did for the first few days. They sort of blend into the room over time.

My '89s were between 1200-1300. I've changed to an external tweeter.

You should cut out a couple of pieces of cardboard that are 2 x 2 feet and lay them on the floor to get an idea of how much room they would take up.

Bruce

post-7149-13819858556612_thumb.jpg

Hey Bruce: I have just pulled my tweeter on my modified Heresy 3 and time aligned the tweeters up on top of the cabinet like you have your tweeters. The difference is absolutley amazing. I am sure the difference this made on your LaScala is no different. Has to be heard to be appreciated don't you think? Best regards Moray James.

I am sure the difference this made on your LaScala is no different.

Moray, Huge difference! When you thinkhow much farther back the mid driver is on the LS... Cleaned up the top end for sure.

Bruce