Advice needed

wstrickland1

I simply HAVE to reduce my inventory. These boxes are just too large and there isn't enough room to set everything up. All I need is one 7.1 system and one 2-channel rig. Obviously its a matter of personal taste but I am curious as to what others think and why. I can have:

(3) LaScalas up front, Cornwall sides and Heresy rears

KLF 30's w/ KLF 20 center fronts, KLF 20 sides and KLF C7 rears

RF 7 w/ RC 7 fronts, RC 7 sides and RB 35 rears

(2) RSW 15 subs will be used

2 Channel options from whatever speakers not in the HT.

Sub will be a Martin Logan Depth

HT power is B&K Ref 200/7 and an Onkyo PR SC5509

2 channel would be a Denon PMA 2000R, B&K Ref 50 pre w/ Carver AVX 806 or possibly something else.

What would you do and why? I value and appreciate any input.

• Moderators

Are these in the same room or different rooms?

If it were me, I would use a pair of LaScalas for your 2ch setup. If both systems are not in the same location, I would use the Martin Logan. If in the same room, I would sell the Martin Logan and use the Dual RSW-15's for both 2ch and 7.2. Lascalas are a 3-way design and have always been an amazing speaker for 2ch listening. I had the privilege of hearing Jeff Hoak's Lascalas and they sounded beautiful. They definitely need a sub (which he had an IB sub) to fill in the bottom octaves.

For the 7.2, my definitely choice would be the RF-7's. I own the RF-7's and the RF-83's. They are both absolutely amazing for HT and you already have all of the pieces so you won't have to purchase additional gear to complete the system. The RF-7 system also have a much cooler look to them and they are a lot smaller than the KLF-30's so they won't take up quite as much space.

They will be in different rooms. I want the dual RSW 15's in the 7.2 set up and the Martin Logan (which is VERY musical) in the 2-channel room. That much I'm pretty much set on. The 2 channel room is pretty big (21 x 16) so I have room for whatever. The speaker sizes are somewhat of a consideration though. Removing (3) LaScalas, (2) Cornwalls and (2) Heresy's from this house would equate to building an addition. Keeping the "skinnier" speakers would have it's advantages.

I've been using the (7) Heritage speakers for quite a while now and there's no doubt that (3) LaScalas across the front is hard to beat but all of these speakers are driving me nuts. Really.

• Moderators

Youth gave this some thought. The KLF
equipment, as good as it is, is actually the weakest link.

I
actually did and I have owned both KLF-30's and RF-7's at the same
time. The KLF-30's have some SERIOUS kick in the bass region, possibly
better than the RF-7's but overall, the 7's are a better speaker.

I want the dual RSW 15's in the 7.2 set up and the Martin Logan (which is VERY musical) in the 2-channel room.

That's good to hear about the Martin. The RSW-15 is very musical as well but if the Martin is, you have the ideal setup using the dual RSW-15's in the HT and Martin for 2ch.

I've been using the (7) Heritage speakers for quite a while now and there's no doubt that (3) LaScalas across the front is hard to beat

There is no doubt it sounds amazing for HT but if you are only able to use your existing speakers and have to get rid of some, I still would believe the 7's would make the perfect HT and a pair of Lascalas for 2ch would make two killer systems.

I agree with youth. If I had all your speakers the theater would be full if reference gear and 2 channel would

Be la scalas with the depth for the low end. I rocking the thx in the theater and Cornwallis for 2 channel with no sub couldn't be happier. Every other system in the house is very small so no worries about lots of speakers sitting around.

Thanks for the replys. Great food for thought but new parameters popped up before I walked out the door this morning. The wife said...."uh uh, those LaScalas aren't coming in the living room". Oh crap..."Well how about the Corns"?????........."Nope". She said the most I could have out there are the RF 7's because they were "prettier".

Our house is a mess right now because we're getting new floors throughout the downstairs (walnut hardwood and tile in the kitchen/eat-in). I told her that the Cornwalls were walnut and they'd look great in there. The room is HUGE. I don't know where this is coming from. She's never cared before. I've created a monster with the new floors I think.

So unless I can sway the voter, it's between the Legends and Heritage for the 7.2 and the RF 7's for 2 channel. The Legends will give me much more room and the Heritage just sounds better. Good thing is I won't need a sub for the 7's

The Reference speakers are more modern for the WAF. I don't even have to ask the wife concerning Heritage speakers in the family room, No, No, and No would be the answer. The same answer for bass traps, diffusers and larger sub, lol. To women, the Heritage speakers just look to large, lol. It took her a while to get use to the large RF 7's. Batman-quick, back to the man cave.

You're probably not going to like my suggestion but . Keep the LaScalas and the Cornwalls and sell everything else , including the subs . Buy another pair of LaScalas and shift from 7.1 to 5.1 all LaScala HT . Get a pair of Danley DTS 10 subs in there . At this point you will you will probably need to find a helmet with a strong chinstrap that fits to keep your jaw off the ground . Cornwalls for the 2 channel rig .