Considering a NAD 2700 amp for my 2ch setup

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm considering purchasing a NAD 2700 for my B&W DM604 S3's in my 2ch setup. The HK 3490 is 120 x 2 stereo receiver. I guess I have the "I wonder how it would sound if..." syndrome. The NAD 2700 is a 150 x 2 stereo amp. I've never heard NAD units but I know willland really has a liking of their sound and supposably they are on the warm side.

I know when I added my Parasound HCA2205a to my HT, I noticed added bass
(even at low volumes), additional clarity and better separation of
musical instruments. It wasn't night and day but definitely a noticable
improvement.

Here is a link to the Data Sheet and the Owner's Manual.

Anyone familiar with this amp? Any thoughts on if it would be a good
match and if it would make much of a difference in the sound?

I have very much liked the NADs' sound that I've heard, but am not familiar with that model or whether NAD has gone up or downhill at various times. HK is very good, too, and I would give preference to judgements from listening impressions over wattage figures and other such mere specs.

Short of being able to hear it, I react very favorably to your description of the Parasound. System synergy is all-important in hi-fi, IMO, and I think that's what you are looking for. You need to listen to what you're interested in, if possible.

hi youthman

While I cant comment on the difference in the sound with your speakers,as I am unfamiliar with them. I do have a nad 2700 that I use to drive khorns.I would describe the amp as warm (tube like).with a ton of head room. I would bet you will like the amp .but you can always resale if you find you don't care for the sound.

Actually I'm glad you post the question,got me to thinking I have been running my Jolda 10wpc and carver tube cd player since getting my pio A's from Dean ,which sound nothing short of amazing .(Imho) I need to throw the nad back in the mix.if you give the nad a try I would be interested on your take.

Stacy

• Moderators

The seller and I have been emailing back and forth. He has a lot of vintage gear and is just clearing out most of it. I made him an offer, will see what he says. If I don't like it, I can always resell it and likely have no money lost.

Youth, is the 2700 a PE (Power Envelope) model? I know the BEE (Bjorn Erik Edvardsen's) pieces are exceptional[;)] I guess NAD is still considered fair budget Mid-Fi gears as they were in the 80's. I know I bought a 4020 Pre/4155 Tuner and PE2200 amp when I got back from Germany in 1979 to drive my JBL 4311B Monitors and it was a fantastic system[:D]

• Moderators

Busy day. I hooked it up, took a few minutes listen and headed to work. Haven't been able to listen to it but for about 10 minutes. It definitely adds more bottom end to the B&W's (even though they have plenty of bottom end with just the receiver).

After I drop my son off at school, I will play with it some more and give some additional thoughts.

For now, here are a few pics of the unit.

NAD-2700-Amp-1.jpg

NAD-2700-Amp-2.jpg

NAD-2700-Amp-4.jpg

NAD-2700-Amp-6.jpg

NAD-2700-Amp-8.jpg

NAD-2700-Amp-9.jpg

Youth i added this cheap 22band per chan eq $65 brand new on ebay free shipping. Works amazing for my new 2ch cornwall set up. I run it between the pre outs and the power amp. Works really awesome.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gli-Pro-Eq-2100-2-Channel-42-Band-DJ-Graphic-Equalizer-/350823491320?pt=US_Signal_Processors_Rack_Effects&hash=item51aeb5a6f8