La Scala II's - 2675 - Charlotte, NC

homeskizzle

$3000 for speakers that sold new for $3500-$4000 street price when they were bought? Just because Audiovox chose to raise prices after buying Kliipsch in 2011, doesn't make used speakers with no warranty worth more automatically, right?

Shipping those 175lb/each monsters would be a nightmare. I wouldn't trust Fedex to ship them either, so I'd have to drive a ways to get them.

$3000 for speakers that sold new for $3500-$4000 street price when they were bought? Just because Audiovox chose to raise prices after buying Kliipsch in 2011, doesn't make used speakers with no warranty worth more automatically, right?

Items are worth what someone will pay for them. My 1974 La Scalas sold for $525 each in 1974, or $1050 for a pair. I was happy to pay $1200 ($1400 was the asking price) for them in 2006, when they were 32 years old.

Original selling price is interesting to know, but often irrelevant in regard to used items. Over time, desirable items hold their price, or even increase it, while undesirable (or desired by few) items drop in price. It's that simple.

La Scala IIs currently list for $10,400 a pair in Canada, so I was very happy to pay under $3000 for a near-mint pair this year. The original owner bought them in 2008, but the serial number indicates they are 2007 models.

I know the $10k price sounds extreme, but here it is:

http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/klipsch-scala-floorstanding-speakers-black-ash-scala-p-7663.html

That dealer also carries Palladiums, and, as usual, the price in Canada is quite a bit higher than the US price.

http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/klipsch-p39f-floorstanding-speakers-natural-finish-pair-p39f-natural-p-7472.html

Stay patient. More La Scala IIs will appear for sale. They've only been out since 2006, and used ones have only started appearing in the last year or so.

The going prices seem to be $2500-3000, so interested buyers now know how much they need to save up.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I'd give potential buyers some feedback on the La Scala II's. I was the lucky guy who ended up buying these as the guy really did not want to deal with shipping unless it was necessary. I still had to drive a 100 miles, but after hearing these speakers for every night these past two weeks, it was well worth it.

I'd been watching them long before I saw the post here and already knew about the price drop as I'm the reason for it (I had offered him $1900, but he wanted to think it over and dropped the price again). I'm glad no one told him he had La Scala spelled as "La Scalla" in the ad though (which is probably why no one in Charlotte picked them up). I know I'm probably going to hell for not telling him...

I'd been using Klipsch RF-83's with dual RT-12d subs with an ATI AT2007 amp. At first I was very skeptical with the La Scala II's after looking at their frequency response compared to the RF-83's, but I quickly liked them more and more. Sensitivity and having a large midrange horn, really is everything. The horn loaded 15" woofer is awesome too. I really can feel a drum in my chest more than I could before.

The dialogue is slightly clearer, and the mid-range imaging is better too. Even pianos and drums sound slightly more real to me. I'm definitely sold now on the bigger horn is better philosophy. Definitely not a huge improvement over the RF-83's, but if you love great imaging, you really need to listen to a pair of these things! I'd say they were a worth while upgrade.

Anyways, thanks to this thread a deal I already knew about but was on the fence about buying turned into a happy purchase.

I am glad you are enjoying these as you know I was interested in them also. Thanks for the feedback. I ended up picking up some Belle's and hopefully will see them in another week or so. I have never heard either before so it is good to here from someone else on what ther first impressions are.

Enjoy