The Forum Feature Request Thread

Chad

One thing I just noticed missing which the old forum had is a "Member Online" status, you can see if the member is ON or OFFLINE by cursing over their name, it was just nice to be able to see it at a glance. If possible this would be a nice addition.

It would be nice to have the root page list all forums without a user having to scroll to see them all. Often, we jump back to the root to see if there has been activity in a sub-forum. It would be nice to do so at a quick glance without having to scroll. But maybe there's a new feature that effectively does the same thing which I haven't seen yet.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but there is a quick-navigation button, near the top of every page, right next to "View New Content". Looks like a Google Maps pin, sorta.

No. What I am describing is something I have never seen in any forum software. When you navigate to the root, it shows a long list of available forums..... too long a list to see on one page. This list contains the names of many forums I never go into. I have a few favorites, and that's it. It would be cool to allow a user setting so that on the root page, I see the ones I want to see at the top. That way, I don't have to navigate all the way down to the bottom to navigate into one of my favorite forums.

In other words, there is too much scrolling to navigate around from forum to forum.

Come to think of it, I think I have seen some forums with a "Quick Jump to Forum" drop down box at the top of each page. You can select from that drop-down box and go immediately to your preferred forum.

Aha, you do have a quick navigation button (looks like a light bulb up there). Problem is you have to scroll too much in it because the tree nodes are expanded. You should set them to collapsed to fit all main groups on 1 page. Then user can single-click main group to see sub-forums and pick one. 2 clicks - no scrolling. Much better.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

• Administrators

It would be nice to have the root page list all forums without a user having to scroll to see them all. Often, we jump back to the root to see if there has been activity in a sub-forum. It would be nice to do so at a quick glance without having to scroll. But maybe there's a new feature that effectively does the same thing which I haven't seen yet.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but there is a quick-navigation button, near the top of every page, right next to "View New Content". Looks like a Google Maps pin, sorta.

No. What I am describing is something I have never seen in any forum software. When you navigate to the root, it shows a long list of available forums..... too long a list to see on one page. This list contains the names of many forums I never go into. I have a few favorites, and that's it. It would be cool to allow a user setting so that on the root page, I see the ones I want to see at the top. That way, I don't have to navigate all the way down to the bottom to navigate into one of my favorite forums.

In other words, there is too much scrolling to navigate around from forum to forum.

Come to think of it, I think I have seen some forums with a "Quick Jump to Forum" drop down box at the top of each page. You can select from that drop-down box and go immediately to your preferred forum.

Aha, you do have a quick navigation button (looks like a light bulb up there). Problem is you have to scroll too much in it because the tree nodes are expanded. You should set them to collapsed to fit all main groups on 1 page. Then user can single-click main group to see sub-forums and pick one. 2 clicks - no scrolling. Much better.

Light bulb; Google Maps Pin, what's the difference? ;)

That may improve over time. I do know they have a major new version of this software coming relatively soon, so maybe it will include more customizable things like the quick-navigation menu. Otherwise I have to spend a bunch of time writing some custom plugins. My plate is already pretty full. We'll get to some of these things eventually. Keep the suggestions coming!

• Like 1

• Administrators

One thing I just noticed missing which the old forum had is a "Member Online" status, you can see if the member is ON or OFFLINE by cursing over their name, it was just nice to be able to see it at a glance. If possible this would be a nice addition.

That's not missing.. in fact you can do this already. Just hover over a member name.

• Like 1

That's not missing.. in fact you can do this already. Just hover over a member name.

Yes I know this is what I meant by cursing over their name. It's just nicer to see at a glance with "Online" next to the members name if a member is online like it use to be, now you to need to search for that info.

• Moderators

I can see this all the way at the bottom. Unless it's an admin thing only?

• Administrators

It's not an admin only thing. I think what he's talking about is showing the online tag right next to the member name everywhere, which frankly would just clutter everything up. There are already other ways to see who is currently online.

• Like 1

Maybe it's operator error, but I can't find a way to have a all threads in descending date order. Minor annoyance, I suppose, but for us regulars a bit of a nuisance to have to do extra clicking to get to the latest post in a thread.

Also, see no sign of system profiles. Maybe that's just me as well...

Other than that, I'm feeling like the owner of a new car and lovin' it.

Dave

I too miss that descending date order feature. Still exploring the neew forum. Other than the disappearance or exile of Right This Minute it looks good.

And I think I can edit my profile again. It had issues, I think when a link in my favorites went into the bit bucket.

I hope favorites got transferred. I'll have to check.

And curiously, I think my avatar, while one of mine, is not the last one I had?

I can change my avatar again. Couldn't edit my profile for the longest time. I think I had Amy change it for me once.

[8][8][8][H][8][8][8] <<-- this used to be 3 1/8th notes with cool smiley in sunglasses 3 1/8 notes.... the notes I see in new list but not that smiley...

I can change my avatar again. Couldn't edit my profile for the longest time. I think I had Amy change it for me once.

[8][8][8][H][8][8][8] <<-- this used to be 3 1/8th notes with cool smiley in sunglasses 3 1/8 notes.... the notes I see in new list but not that smiley...

And they've changed. Nuts. Had that sequence down. Much faster to type in than select..... but I can change my own avatar again.

:emotion-29: :emotion-29: :emotion-29::D:emotion-29: :emotion-29: :emotion-29:

New emoticon selection better as I can click on multiple times. But I do miss the cool smiley with the sunglasses. :( And an embarassed one would be nice... and a couple of other goofy ones I don't see. But I'm happy we at least have the notes and some fun ones including of course :pwk_bs:

Can we get one with Bullshit spelled out?

How about a "Member Announcements" in the Announcements area at the very top? Since the current place we would need to make important announcements like deaths, sickness, and other tragedies as well as good news, get together announcements, announcements by non-moderators have been relegated 3 pages down on the list to the "Off-Topic" forum, I fear people won't see them.

It's not an admin only thing. I think what he's talking about is showing the online tag right next to the member name everywhere, which frankly would just clutter everything up. There are already other ways to see who is currently online.

Yes this is how it always was and it was much nicer to know who was ONLINE without having to search to find out

Not next to the members name but somewhere under the members avatar like at the bottom below the number of posts for that member.

Edited by Rich_Guy

• Administrators

Yes this is how it always was and it was much nicer to know who was ONLINE without having to search to find out

Not next to the members name but somewhere under the members avatar like at the bottom below the number of posts for that member.

Now I understand.

You got it.

• Like 1