Horn project

Guest David H

That horn reminds me of my dream speakers...I'd like to at least cobble up some form of a copy before I expire...

I have the L-475 woofers.

attachicon.gifFostex%20LS3%20Poster.jpg

Looks like a straight forward build.

WAF = 0

Ill bet is sounds great.

Dave

Yeah, the bass cabinets are a rather simple design...except the fact that they are huge, like 9 foot internal volume or some such. Build the bass cabinets, and go from there.

Wife Acceptance Factor is one of the least concerns in my life...

9 cubic feet sounds like a lot, but if you call it 1 cubic metre, it sounds much smaller.

Gotta cube it not square it. A cubic yard is 27 square feet, a square meter is bigger, like a refirgerator.

Guest David H

I have been using an inexpensive Birch/Maple plywood for my prototypes, however I think Baltic Birch ply would be ideal.

Because of this horns design, they are relatively easy to sand with a palm sander to get the basic shape, then hand sand the finish.

I am going to spend some time on this horn today. I would like to get this to a point where I can kit this for DIY builds.

Dave

• Like 2

I have been using an inexpensive Birch/Maple plywood for my prototypes, however I think Baltic Birch ply would be ideal.

Because of this horns design, they are relatively easy to sand with a palm sander to get the basic shape, then hand sand the finish.

I am going to spend some time on this horn today. I would like to get this to a point where I can kit this for DIY builds.

Dave

That would be cool.

That horn reminds me of my dream speakers...I'd like to at least cobble up some form of a copy before I expire...

I have the L-475 woofers.

attachicon.gifFostex%20LS3%20Poster.jpg

Looks like a straight forward build.

WAF = 0

Ill bet is sounds great.

Dave

Yeah, the bass cabinets are a rather simple design...except the fact that they are huge, like 9 foot internal volume or some such. Build the bass cabinets, and go from there.

Wife Acceptance Factor is one of the least concerns in my life...

9 cubic feet sounds like a lot, but if you call it 1 cubic metre, it sounds much smaller.

Gotta cube it not square it. A cubic yard is 27 square feet, a square meter is bigger, like a refirgerator.

Yup, 35 cu ft...

Guest David H

Here is the latest set. still have some corrections to make.

Dave

Errrrrr still trying to figure out how to post pics on this new site...... :(
Edited by GotHover

Guest David H

Those really look nice. How does it change the sound of a normal horn like in the LaScalas... Are they warmer sounding, smoother etc.?

Not a clue, I have not yet heard them. :unsure:

I suspect they will sound good, because JBL, Fostex, and Altec have all had good success with similar designs.

Dave

Edited by GotHover
  • Like 1

Excellent work Dave. Keep up the good work. I'll be heading into the workshop in the next few days myself to finally build my center channel HF horn. I have been working on my dust collection system for the past few months and can finally get to work.

BTW, how are you getting the curved portion of the horn? Hand sanding? My top and bottom won't be as think as what you have built, but will likely have some 2 pieces of BB to curve.

I can't wait to hear some listening reviews from you guys.

Guest David H

The sound of the horn is more determined by the shape than materials. I like the sound of a wood horn, but I am relatively certain it is psycological.

I dont think these would be a fair comparison for a K-402.

The curved portion of this horn is cnc cut, then hand sanded.

Dave

Sorry I was not able to use the quotes. :( I reallt dont like the new site changes.

• Like 1

Dave

I was just thinking baltic birch because it is approximately 1/2 inch.

Is it hard to sand along the edges? That is some sticky stuff between the layers. Put a brad into it and it never comes out.

Guest David H

I designed the horn to be built from .7" baltic birch, the steps are cut to 1/16", so the sanding goes fairly quick.

If you were to build this horn as the original builder did, the steps would be 1/8 inch except for the bottom layer would be 1/2"

Dave

The sound of the horn is more determined by the shape than materials. I like the sound of a wood horn, but I am relatively certain it is psycological.

I dont think these would be a fair comparison for a K-402.

The curved portion of this horn is cnc cut, then hand sanded.

Dave

Sorry I was not able to use the quotes. :( I reallt dont like the new site changes.

Not "a fair comparison" in what way ?