Considering 7.1....What would you do?

Youthman

• Moderators

Tilting downward would work out much better I think. Definitely appreciate the suggestions guys. Wake Junkie can help me figure out how to safely mount them at a descent angle. When I had the RB-35's back there, the mounts only angled down 7 degrees which was pointless at that height. The speakers were aimed at the screen on my front wall.

Here are some old photos showing the RB-35's mounted.

Back_Wall.jpg

bracket13.jpg

rb35-4.jpg

• Moderators

Ron, I couldn't find a place to put the Parasound amp so I put it in the chair you will be sitting in so you will have to move it before you sit down. Haha.

Trust me, I think my ears stink. Seriously. Sometimes I compare stuff and don't hear any difference at all and wonder, "Should I?" Maybe I need to have my hearing checked.

• Moderators

7.1 vs 5.1 is not night and day, but more immersive in 7.1 and more real. I like it and am not going back.

I would try to angle yours down a bit.

Maybe you could use the Tilt Design Tasdom came up with?

Patent Pending :P

As long as you don't have the patent secured by next Friday, I'm good.

7.1 vs 5.1 is not night and day, but more immersive in 7.1 and more real. I like it and am not going back.

I would try to angle yours down a bit.

Maybe you could use the Tilt Design Tasdom came up with?

Patent Pending :P

As long as you don't have the patent secured by next Friday, I'm good.

Kidding aside, the hinge and chain works very well as you can raise or lower for best results.

http://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145553-diy-surround-mounts/

Edited by Tasdom

It's hard to tell from the photos but did you have to drill into the speaker or were you able to use the existing holes?

No drilling. The hinges i found at Lowes had an exact bolt pattern match.

post-51278-0-18680000-1383407016_thumb.j

post-51278-0-49720000-1383407095_thumb.j

post-51278-0-64800000-1383407186_thumb.j

post-51278-0-01320000-1383407222_thumb.j

Obv. the RS7s have a different pattern than the 62II's but there is a large selection at the home centers.

• Like 1

Tilting downward would work out much better I think. Definitely appreciate the suggestions guys. Wake Junkie can help me figure out how to safely mount them at a descent angle.

Michael,

Maybe Wake Junky can cut you some angled(wedge) blocks to mount on the wall and mount the RS62II's onto them. It would be a much cleaner/neater look. Like PSG did with his Heresy II surrounds but full length maybe.

dsc_13483rc.jpg

Bill

Edited by willland

Gotcha, the RS-62ii do not have a bottom keyhole.

Worst case is you can drill the hinge to match the speaker pattern.

If Wake is helping you tho, he'll probably design some sort of motorized mount using an old electric toothbrush or something. lol he's very creative......

Thanks Tasdom. I appreciate the complement.
Youth, just give me the measurements for the speaker height on the wall and distance of your front row head location off the back wall and I will make it happen. I will just calculate the angle to point it at head height of the front row.
Also, Measure the hole spacing for the quad threaded mounts and get those to me.
If anybody here has RS-62ii's and a caliper that would be ideal. I may have time to fabricate them this week.

Edited by WakeJunkie

Michael,

Maybe Wake Junky can cut you some angled(wedge) blocks to mount on the wall and mount the RS62II's onto them. It would be a much cleaner/neater look. Like PSG did with his Heresy II surrounds but full length maybe.

Bill

Bill

I liked the idea.

I put these together real quick tonight. Put filler in the nail holes so I couldn't paint them yet, but you get the idea.

I will drill the mounting holes for the 1/4-20 bolts once I get to Youth's house next week to make sure they line up perfect.

Sorry for cell phone pics...

62mount.jpg

They will be held up by a French cleat made from leftover pieces when I cut the excess length off my rack.

62mount2.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie
  • Like 1

Michael,

Bill

Bill

I liked the idea.

I put these together real quick tonight. Put filler in the nail holes so I couldn't paint them yet, but you get the idea.

I will drill the mounting holes for the 1/4-20 bolts once I get to Youth's house next week to make sure they line up perfect.

Sorry for cell phone pics...

62mount.jpg

They will be held up by a French cleat made from leftover pieces when I cut the excess length off my rack.

62mount2.jpg

Yes,just like that. Youth could paint them black and it would look completely seamless.

WJ, you are something else.

I may have you come over to my place and build my fireplace mantle that I have put off for 8 years. :biggrin:

Bill

I cannot imagine going back to 5.1, I always try to buy the BluRay discs that are recorded in 7.1 either DTS MasterHD or Dolby TrueHD. I can also toggle up the 5.1 discs to 7.1 so the side surrounds always contribute to the sound. I also run a pair of front height effects that add an extra dimension. Dual Velodyne subs make the overall impact extremely realistic. My Sherbourn 7/2100A has been running 7 speakers the entire time I have had it. I cannot imagine that you will not see an improvement by adding the additional surrounds.

I remembered Youth has a problem finding a bunch of candy wrappers under the seats in the HT even though he doesn't let the kids do that. I decided that space behind the speaker mounts should not be wasted and stayed up last night making the most of it.

I thought what if I could put mics in the room, listen for the sounds created by candy wrappers crinkling, triangulate the position and target that spot. I needed 3 mics to triangulate and I wanted to keep it simple since I don't have much time so I used the guts of 2.4Ghz cordless phones to communicate between the two speakers and the small base station that will be located at the front of the room. It made it easy to communicate RS-232 protocol commands over that frequency and cut the cost of Bluetooth components.

The "bullet" is a capacitor charged by a ten's unit that has been modified to reach 10,000 volts similar to the way a stun gun works.

When triggered the barrel pops out the top and stepper motors take it to the target and at that point it is a simple CO2 air canon that fires a charged cap to the location giving the offender a quick pop as a reminder to keep the candy out of the HT.

air.jpg

Triangulation Mic in second speaker mount. The RS-232 interface is for programming the PIC and not used during operation.

mic.jpg

cap.jpg

My targeting is getting me within +- 8 inches out to 10ft. I think it is close enough, but would probably need to either add a 4th mic for better location proximity or a stepper motor with tighter tolerances.

barrel.jpg

• Like 1