Wanted: Inexpensive universal disc/cd player

Rick

My Yamaha universal disc player died last night, so I am looking for something inexpensive to replace it with to hold me over for a while. It can be either a universal disc/sacd player or a dedicated CD player. I will be using the 2 channel analog outs, so it must have a decent analog out section.

Bill, thanks for the reply. When I say inexpensive, I mean under $100 if possible. Whatcha got?

I don't have any players to sell just did not want to suggest anything too far out of your budget.

A little more than your budget.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKC7030/Onkyo-C-7030-Compact-Disc-Player/1.html#!more

Twice your budget but still pretty inexpensive for new(refurb).

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARCD5004/Marantz-CD5004-Single-Disc-CD-Player/1.html

If you can get your hands on a used NAD C542 CD player, you will be astonished how good it sounds. By far the best "budget" CD player I have ever heard/owned.

Another excellent universal player that is built like a tank(25.5 lbs) but a bit over your budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DVD-3930CI-DVD-Player-/131045573397?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item1e82ecc315

Bill

Edited by willland

Bill, thanks for the links. I've been looking at the usual places over the weekend, and even put wanted ads on Craigslist. So far, no luck...

Like I said, I am really trying to limit my budget to $100 or less if possible. For now, I will be using my Sony BDP-S580 blu-ray player. And while it does play SACD's, it is just ok as a CD player, so I'm looking for something better...

Anybody have an extra player they are not using?

Good luck with your search Rick. What do you plan to get later to replace the "in-between" unit?

Boxx, I am not really sure at this point. There are several that I've been looking at, but it will likely be several months before I will be able to purchase a new one. If I can find the right "older" unit for the right price, I may not even desire a new one... :)

Nobody has an extra player they are willing to part with? I was expecting to be overwhelmed with offers, must be bad timing or something... :unsure2:

Rick,

I am on the hunt full time for you. I will try to find one as close to $100.00 as I can.

Bill

Thanks Bill! :)

I'm really surprised that I have been looking for 3 days and haven't found anything yet. I'm beginning to tire of scouring all the usual online sites, and my local area absolutely sucks for Craigslist listings in electronics. Given that CD players are a dime a dozen, I fully expected to receive several offers here, and I'm very surprised I haven't. If I only had an Ebay/PayPal account, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of candidates to choose from. But, that's not going to happen at this time. If possible, I'd much prefer something that will play SACDs (and to some extent DVD-A discs, though I only have a handful of those)...

One thing is for sure, the Sony BD player is not that great for music, and I find myself not wanting to listen to music much at this time because of this... :(

Edited by Rick

CDC-765

CDC-735

CDC-505

These are the ones I'm not using at present. My experience has been that any any of my remotes work with any of my yamaha CD players. I am going into Eugene and can look in at the stereo shop to see what they have. Leaving in a couple minutes,

See PM

Taz

CDC-765

CDC-735

CDC-505

These are the ones I'm not using at present. My experience has been that any any of my remotes work with any of my yamaha CD players. I am going into Eugene and can look in at the stereo shop to see what they have. Leaving in a couple minutes,

See PM

Taz

Thanks!

I see they are all changers, I failed to mention that I'm not really interested in a changer, only single disc players. I really appreciate your effort in looking at your local stereo shop for me, and I'm anxious to see what you may find... :emotion-21:

I found something to go look at tomorrow if nothing comes up before then. I thought about going to look at it today, but it is about 65 miles away, and I'm not up to it at this moment...

I know you said you didnt want a changer, but for $69 and a 1 year authorized warranty, it may not get better than this. I think they play SACD's too Just checked and it doesnt play them.

Oh well.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDCM290/DENON-DCM-290-CD/CD-R/RW-5-Disc-Changer/1.html

Edited by Max2

I know you said you didnt want a changer, but for $69 and a 1 year authorized warranty, it may not get better than this. I think they play SACD's too

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDCM290/DENON-DCM-290-CD/CD-R/RW-5-Disc-Changer/1.html

A changer will absolutely not fit where it will have to go (way too deep). That model does not play SACD's (except the redbook layer). Thanks a bunch, though... :)

Keep 'em coming fellas!

Edited by Rick

No idea what they bring on the used market, but I have the last Oppo before bluray and love it. I don't much listen to discs unless someone brings one or it's brand new and I can't wait to rip it, but I've never heard anything out of that player that wasn't on the disc. That's about all I expect from a player.

Dave

What is the maximum dimensions for the unit. I have to be in Eugene next week and the week after. If I had a way to contact you while at the shop I could let you know what I find. And if it is what you want, pick it up while there. Or I could see what they have, let you know when I get home, Call them the next day and ask them to hold it for me.

Just trying to help

Taz

Or post the dimensions and I can call and see what they have. List them on post, or call. If you are interested in what they may have, I could call and have them hold it until Tuesday.

Edited by John W. Henderson
  • Like 1