Anyone using Decware ?

A1UC

I would suggest adding a vinyl front end to your system. You would reap the benefit of better sound.

Shakey

Pop, Crackle, Hiss! LMBO

Only if you have crappy old records and a crappy turntable.

When I put on a piece of clean vinyl you don't hear a thing but music. I buy mostly reissues and new vinyl and the experience is superb.

If records were all pop, crackle, hiss would they have been used so long in radio stations????? I don't think so.

The Decware phono pre looks great. I've been wanting to try one of the Zen amps.

Edited by seti

I would suggest adding a vinyl front end to your system. You would reap the benefit of better sound.

Shakey

Pop, Crackle, Hiss! LMBO

I wouldn't expect you to understand. But it beats the pants off digital.

Shakey

I have had a few Dac's and they sounded awesome - Wyred Dac 2 Eastern Electric Dac Plus etc , but with a TT that is setup correct with a good phono stage its hard to beat .

But people like different things nothing wrong with that , what sounds good to one person might not sound good to another . Take horn loaded speakers :P

• Like 1

Main reason is to tap what remains the largest amount of quality music available. And cheap.

I've no time for those who talk about hiss while listening to their system with the AC or heat on, a fire in the fireplace (crackle, pop!)or rain, or car radios...or anything. It's about the music. The bulk of quality recordings are unavailable to those who ignore the first century of recording and only listen to the last 30 years.

I have to assume those who have a bias for one medium or the other listen to the media, not the music...not that there is anything wrong with that.

The 24/192 X 4 recording I made of the Asylum Street Spankers remains the most immersive and realistic recording I've ever heard. However, if I had to choose between it and the acoustic 78 recording I have of 22 year old Duke Ellington playing "The Mooche," I'd ditch it in a heartbeat.

It's about the music, and most of it is analog, and most of that is phonograph recordings.

All that said, I am perfectly at peace with and enjoy the company of those who listen to equipment, capacitors, interconnects, tubes, etc. But for me, it's about the music.

I DO think that when we post our thoughts we should make some attempt to make it clear where our biases are.

My wife and i share a favorite recording. George Gershwin at the piano with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra, "Rhapsody in Blue" original 1924 acoustic version. Worn to hell when I got it, sand and grit in the grooves. Well cleaned, I'd say the S/N is maybe 20db. But, Lord, what a performance! I just imagine I am outside Carnegie hall with rain pouring down and can't afford a ticket due to the depression. I'm forced to stand near a stage door an listen to this historic performance through a crack in the door. And I am in heaven!

Wanna test whether you're an equipment head or a music head? Try this. Note the "download" is side B in both cases...I am going to let them know. However, the player version above it is correct. The clarinet intro is one of the finest pieces of clarinet work PERIOD. Of course, while they had a cleaner. less worn disc, this doesn't sound as good as playing the REAL disc. Nonetheless, it's incredible music you cannot get closer to than playing back on your own turntable. If all you hear is limited bandwidth and noise, you are an equipment head. I salute you! Enjoy! Otherwise, hie thee to thy supplier of ye old turntables and get thee one.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Main reason is to tap what remains the largest amount of quality music available. And cheap.

I've no time for those who talk about hiss while listening to their system with the AC or heat on, a fire in the fireplace (crackle, pop!)or rain, or car radios...or anything. It's about the music. The bulk of quality recordings are unavailable to those who ignore the first century of recording and only listen to the last 30 years.

I have to assume those who have a bias for one medium or the other listen to the media, not the music...not that there is anything wrong with that.

The 24/192 X 4 recording I made of the Asylum Street Spankers remains the most immersive and realistic recording I've ever heard. However, if I had to choose between it and the acoustic 78 recording I have of 22 year old Duke Ellington playing "The Mooche," I'd ditch it in a heartbeat.

It's about the music, and most of it is analog, and most of that is phonograph recordings.

All that said, I am perfectly at peace with and enjoy the company of those who listen to equipment, capacitors, interconnects, tubes, etc. But for me, it's about the music.

I DO think that when we post our thoughts we should make some attempt to make it clear where our biases are.

My wife and i share a favorite recording. George Gershwin at the piano with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra, "Rhapsody in Blue" original 1924 acoustic version. Worn to hell when I got it, sand and grit in the grooves. Well cleaned, I'd say the S/N is maybe 20db. But, Lord, what a performance! I just imagine I am outside Carnegie hall with rain pouring down and can't afford a ticket due to the depression. I'm forced to stand near a stage door an listen to this historic performance through a crack in the door. And I am in heaven!

Wanna test whether you're an equipment head or a music head? Try this. Note the "download" is side B in both cases...I am going to let them know. However, the player version above it is correct. The clarinet intro is one of the finest pieces of clarinet work PERIOD. Of course, while they had a cleaner. less worn disc, this doesn't sound as good as playing the REAL disc. Nonetheless, it's incredible music you cannot get closer to than playing back on your own turntable. If all you hear is limited bandwidth and noise, you are an equipment head. I salute you! Enjoy! Otherwise, hie thee to thy supplier of ye old turntables and get thee one.

Dave

Well said.

Shakey

Shakey

Pop, Crackle, Hiss! LMBO

Shakey

Oh You ARE Right! I don't understand. I have a Micro Seiki DD-35 with Grado Black cartridge and vinyl does suck!!

You must have something not setup correctly or you have sucky vinyl.

Actually I use digital sources as well. I switch back and forth from cd and music server to vinyl many times in a listening session. When friends over listening they often have to look to see which source is playing. That is the way it should be. There are times when you get a crappy record just like you can get a crap digital file or a crappy cd or a cd with a blem.

I've never heard a Decware phono pre but it looks really cool.

Let's try my logic on Roger. Now, I like Roger, so this is in no way a criticism...but simple use of logic.

IF Roger is a music lover, then we can assume his tastes are limited to music composed after 1980 or so, the digital era.

OTOH, if Roger likes recorded before the digital era, but prefers the degradation of listening to a recording of a recording over the original, then he's an equipment head given he'll accept the degradation of digital re-mastering just to get silence. Almost certainly turns of the AC, or has a high volume, low mass air handling system. All marvelous...love to hear it myself. But it's a different hobby from the music lover who wants to get as close to the source as he can.

Honestly, I really believe it to be that simple given that no technology yet exists than can make something any better than it started out. For 90% of all humanities recorded music, no masters exist so If you want to hear most music prior to Midnight Oil, you are stuck with listening to a digitized copy of a disc or tape. Whether equipment head or music lover...or even tweeners...I don't think you'll find many who believe that adding a generation does anything good, and usually degrades things.

I have heard some transcriptions to digital in the last couple of years that are remarkably good, but none approach what you hear when you have an original. The majority of phonograph records are crappy, and it gets worse in the later years. But the majority of modern recordings are just as crappy. It's the ENGINEERING, not the medium. That acoustic recording of Gershwin I provide the link to above totally amazes me with the engineering. We are talking some SERIOUSLY rigid parameters when one has to place an orchestra around a recording horn, and yet this recording has a since of real presence to it. I am no where near as impressed by a modern recording that sounds good as I am at this. Heck, even I can do it. But a bleeding HORN CONNECTED TO A NAIL????

They were magicians, and I treasure their work...and I want to hear it generated directly from those vibrations captured from the air in the room in 1924 like God intended. That requires a turntable...

But then, I've made my bias clear: I want to listen to MUSIC and can prefer a great recording being played back on a 20.00 boombox to crap on a 50k system.

Dave

Shakey

Pop, Crackle, Hiss! LMBO

Shakey

Oh You ARE Right! I don't understand. I have a Micro Seiki DD-35 with Grado Black cartridge and vinyl does suck!!

Yeah, there is your problem. Not surprised, actually.

Shakey

Edited by Shakeydeal

I bought it 2nd hand and had the seller send direct to Decware . Once they receive it they charge 100.00 and for that they test the unit and repair anything under warranty - they also transfer the lifetime warranty into my name . From the posts I have read Decware seems to have awesome customer service and build a top notch product .

Don't worry about the hijack it happens , I'm sure I did my share :)

I have a pretty awesome set of speakers now but if I go tubes all the way I might have to go a different route , maybe klipsch again :)