$400 2.0 budget system for my neighbor

Youthman

• Moderators

River, this system is definitely small enough to fit in a box :lol: but is a big upgrade from a HTIB.

Reference, yes, they just have the LCD speakers now. I'm going to hook up the entire system today in the HT to see how it sounds with the sub and the HK AVR2600 powering all 5 speakers. I'll probably try both subs just to see but my guess is we will be selling the KW-100 sub. Specs on it look pretty low.

Who knows, this system might be all they ever desire to have, or they may get the upgrade bug down the road. If so, I'll be there to help them sell it and upgrade their system.

That's a very nice score, I've been very close the buying an rf-42 setup before but have never come across a deal like that on one. Good thing you held out, they will surely be blown away by that setup. Love the pics on the other thread. I've seen the RF-7s in person before and know how large they are, but have never been fortunate enough to see the 83s. Those things are monsters. Have you ever done a side by side of the 83s to the 7s? If not I would love to see one, or if someone could lead me to a thread with a side by side that'd be great. Congrats again on the find, it's always fun to spend someone else's money. And what a wise investment by them, having you track it down, most people would walk out of Best Buy with a HTIB on that budget. Cheers!

• Moderators

Have you ever done a side by side of the 83s to the 7s? If not I would love to see one, or if someone could lead me to a thread with a side by side that'd be great.

I have actually posted 3 comparison threads on that very subject. ;) Lots of pics and some A/B testing in each thread.

Maple RF-7's in the House (compared them with RF-83's)

A new love and appreciation for the RF-7 (compared them with RF-83's again)

RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Thx for the reminder Billybob. I texted the wife to see how her husband liked his gift and she said he was trying to hook it all up. I offered to help and they gladly accepted as they weren't too sure how to hook it all up.

Got it all setup and during the auto calibration, I noticed them giggling every time the items on the walls would rattle. :D They had never actually "heard" an explosion or a rumble in their home before. They are VERY pleased with the sound of their new setup. They will be buying the AppleTV so they can stream music through their new setup instead of connecting to the small JBL Docking Station. For now, we will sell the RB-41ii's since their room isn't really setup for bookshelf surrounds. They may eventually add in-ceiling surrounds or they may just enjoy it as a 3.1 setup.

• Like 1