Maple RF-7's in the House

Youthman

• Moderators

I bought a pair of Maple RF-7's. They have some cosmetic issues but no major gouges or deep scratches.

Flashback....My first introduction to RF-7's was about 5 years ago. When I was beginning to build my first "real HT system", I went to Orlando to check out the RB-61's since they fit within my budget. The salesman brought them into the HT room and hooked them up next to the RF-7's. We listened to the RB-61's and they sounded great and then I asked the question..."What are those speakers"? He grinned and said, "Those are the RF-7's....you want to listen?" Wow...he was slick.....but it worked. LOL I didn't buy them then but the RF-7's were the speakers that got me totally hooked on Klipsch speakers. That was the sound I was looking for. About a year later, the RF-7's had been discontinued so I opted to get the new RF-83's.

Fast forward to present......It's been about 5 years since I heard the RF-7's and now had the opportunity to purchase a pair. Needless to say, I was quite anxious to get them hooked up and hear them once again.

I hooked them up and as expected, they sound amazing. Tight, accurate bass with crisp highs and smooth midrangem bass you can feel, Everything I love about my RF-83's I found as well with the RF-7's. Paired with the Parasound amp, the details are articulate and instruments are very specific and individual.

Until recently, I have never been fond of the Maple finish but I had never seen a pair in person either. The Maple is actually quite georgeous. The grain is tight and elegant. I still prefer darker woods (Cherry, Mohagany etc) but the Maple surprised me.

Tonight I am going to pull out my RF-83's from behind the false wall and
set them up beside the 7's (more pics to come) so I can do some A/B comparisons this weekend and hear for myself the differences between the two speakers. Many suggest that the RF-83's are more
"laid back" and have a smoother sound to them, where the RF-7's were
sometimes regarded as "harsh". Some like the "In Your Face", while others like the more subtle sound. I want to experience it for myself so that I no longer have to say say what I've heard, but instead what I have experienced first hand.

My wife thinks I'm crazy...but thankfully, still loves me anyway. I guess she figures I could be spending money on much worse things in life.

I love this hobby. LOL

5348580146_7fa266ac8d_z.jpg

5348581820_915c1a61e6_z.jpg

5347942167_13618bf976_z.jpg

5348573886_6c35fc4f8e_z.jpg

5347953735_8b28a4c94b_z.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the purchase! You will ultimately decide which of the two are better, but IMHO, the 7's are kings vs. your 83's as I've listened to both and while the 83's are great speakers, the 7's go head to head with my cornwall's and cornscalas and though they are a bit different, the 7's don't take a back seat at all. I wish you the best with your new acquisition and look forward to your comments.

• Moderators

Thx for the insight Pete. I hope to be able to compare them this weekend when I have a few hours to devote to them. I might even invite a friend or two over to get their take on it as well. I'm not an audiophile by any means and I'm sure my hearing isn't as keen as many of you so I'm curious what my ears think of the two.

Stay tuned.....[:D]

• Moderators

the 7 are much cleaner and articulate then my lascalas.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard someone that has owned Heritage say that. Typically the heritage guys do not care for the reference series. My thought is they are all different and each of them have their strengths and weaknesses. I've heard Jeff Hoak's lasalas and they sounded fantastic.

I wish everyone wasn't in bed right now or I would begin comparing them. Must be patient...

Congrats on the purchase! You will ultimately decide which of the two are better, but IMHO, the 7's are kings vs. your 83's as I've listened to both and while the 83's are great speakers, the 7's go head to head with my cornwall's and cornscalas and though they are a bit different, the 7's don't take a back seat at all. I wish you the best with your new acquisition and look forward to your comments.

I love my Cornwalls. Chorus IIs and RF-7s are the two speakers I hear time and time again compete with Cornwalls. These are the two speakers I'm waiting to surface somewhere near me to purchase just to see what they're all about.

I love my Cornwalls. Chorus IIs and RF-7s are the two speakers I hear time and time again compete with Cornwalls. These are the two speakers I'm waiting to surface somewhere near me to purchase just to see what they're all about.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my Corns and Cornscala's, but the 7's are not the red headed step child hiding in the corner behind the heritage line IMHO. I enjoy every pair of Klipsch that I own.

I have never had the chance to hear 83's or 7's. I love the dark grill on the light colored veneer. Looks sharp.Youthman you have a sweet,sweet home theater. Have fun brother. Maybe someday if I'm ever down south I could stop by and have a listen.

Jacksonbart your words of wisdom amaze me.....daily.

Very Sexy indeed, congrats. My gf thinks i am nut too, i love buying and selling speakers and getting a chance to talk to others who love the hobby as well. I prefer the dark grains as well, i love both the espresso and cabernet finish found on the icon W series but i prefer the expresso since that color scheme would blenmd and be more aesthetic with the rest of my furniture. If i could score a new pair of rf-7's with that espresso stain and the heavy lacquer finish and well, had the money to buy them i would!

Those 83's really are massive, jeebus, i doubt i could fit both in my car.

• Moderators

I've never seen them in person, but being an owner of RF7s, and seeing them side by side, those things are massive.

Yeah, I wanted to share side by side how they compare. The RF-83's are super tall. When I upgraded from the CF-2's, I immediately found a "wall of sound" that was tall and encompassing. It didn't help that the CF-2's tweeter is in the center between two 8" drivers aimed at your KNEES! LOL

Congrats, no doubt it will be fun comparing the two, except for your back.

Thx JB. Yeah, they definitely are not light. I'm moving them carefully as to not bang them against anything. That would surely not be cool since my RF-83's are basically mint, no scratches.

I have never had the chance to hear 83's or 7's

My suggestions is don't. It will ensue a fast paced spiral downfall of your finances, time and hearing. [:P]
Actually, you should check on the Klipsch website to see what dealers
carry the Reference Series. You owe it to yourself to at least hear
them. Both are amazing speakers. If you are ever near the
Tampa/Orlando area, you are more than welcome to stop by.

Those 83's really are massive, jeebus, i doubt i could fit both in my car.

Fortunately
(or maybe unfortunately), since we have 4 children, I took the minivan
to pick them up. Laid the seats down with some blankets for cushion,
easy fit laying them on their sides. The RF-83's would have been a
different story since they are so deep.

I'm off to the HT to do a quick initial A/B.

Niiiiiiice. Were those the ones in the Garage sale section?

It's interesting to hear the Heritage vs Reference debate. To me there really is no clear cut winner. They both have strong points and weak points. They're different speakers for sure. To me it's the same as debating which is better, vanilla or chocolate. It's a matter of taste. Me personally....... I like them both.

• Moderators

I am surprised by the difference in size also. I doubt you will make one the clear winner, I would think both will have there strong points, just a little different. I would not want to have to decide between the two.

Congratulations, quite the collection/addiction you have going there, like Michael says " collect them all there a set ". [Y]

When I grow up I want a HT room like yours ! [H]