Subs To Go With Khorns

jcmusic

He was looking for OTHER than horn loaded. The SVS PBU would work well. USNRET has one with his Belles, sounds great. Some of the bigger Velodyne servo subs would work too I'd imagine.

Exactly, I was hoping for something small if there is such a sub???

I've copy and pasted Hoffmans iron law for you, it states you can have 2 of these 3 things in a sub.

1) Bass Extension

2) Efficiency

3) Small Enclosure

So: You want small so you can either have Extension or Efficiency to go with that. That means having a small sub with a high excursion driver with mega watt amp (to overcome lack of efficiency) or a small efficient sub that won't go very low. For K-Horns, I'm assuming you'll want depth so you're going to have to look for something along the lines of a Sunfire type sub (Carver). Depending on how large your "small" sub is allowed to be, you might look for a used RSW-15.

Thanks so much for the info and trying to help out much appreciated, I will look into the Sunfire and RSW 15....

I have a RSW 15 with Klipschorns (+ Belle Klipsch center & Heresy II surrounds).  There is good news and bad news:

The good news:

• The RSW 15 matches up just fine with the Khorns, etc. in SPL ... no problem being loud enough
  • 5.1 movies sound very powerful, and with the crossover at either 80 Hz or 60 Hz, most drum impact, etc. comes through the Khorns very cleanly, and the lower resonances of these drums and other bass instruments are served very well by the RSW 15.  Some movies shake the ultra braced floor and the couch mightily.  Really very impressive.

The bad news:

• The RSW 15 is not nearly as precise sounding, clean and snappy as the Khorns, so much so that I sometimes don't use it with music (but always use it with movies).  Compared to Khorns in the bass, it sounds a little "floppy."

If at all possible, make room for a good horn subwoofer!

Well as I suspected I found that the polarity in my pre-amp is reversed in one channel,

Those kind of issues will make you bang your head against the wall figuring them out.  Glad you found it.

Carl,

Yes i realized what was going on after some measurements with REW, then remembered that I had sent my pre-amp in for an upgrade and that is probably when the wires got switched... No biggie now that I know...

Don't be watering down your Klipschorns with something other than a horn loaded sub.  If you have room for K'horns, you have room for at least a Table Tuba.  PWK's rules apply to subs as well as to full range systems. 

Dave

Dave,

I have two SVS subs and believe me they are anything but watering down my khorns, wish I had the room for a horn loaded sub!!!

wish I had the room for a horn loaded sub!!!

SVS are really good...but your last line says it all.

The difference is heard in 32' wood organ pipes, especially leiblecht gedekt, which sound as low as 16.5 Hz.  These are heard, but felt as well and for me only a horn can do it with the same sense one gets in a real acoustic space with pipes.  After all, a horn is as close to a pipe in function and theory as one can get. 

Of course, there is PWKs cardinal point about minimum cone excursion as well...which probably accounts for the effortless sense I just described.

Dave

Exactly they are not even drawing a heavy breath.

We just plugged in a couple Table Tubas to help out the LaScalla'a electronically crossed. These cabs are doing just that loafing along. The LaScalla's sound even better sitting on top of the TT's putting the modified K-400's in our faces. We have a very happy household.

• 2 weeks later...