Amp hunting

Hello everyone,

I wanted get a few Klipsch owners opinions on an amp for my new setup. I have 2 Cherry RF-7iis Astock speakers and so far I have a Aragon Aurum Pre-amp with 2 Audioquest Anaconda XLR interconnect cables @ .5 meters. I’m looking for a 2 channel amp now to power them and I have 4 or 5 in mind in the price range im looking to spend. Looking for a nice neutral amp for my neutral pre amp and XLR inputs is important to me. I have finally finished the Dedicated theater room with all THX ultra 2 Speakers and I currently I use a Anthem A5 and A2 in the setup. I really love the anthem sound and find it extremely neutral but I was wonder what others thought of the below listed amps I’m consider for the RF-7iis. This will be a dedicated 2 channel music listening setup only.

Anthem A2 (already own one and I’m very happy with the sound quality it produces @ 225 wpc and has XLR inputs)

Anthem P2 (considering the P2 as well but at double the price is has 325 wpc but im not certain I would need all this headroom with efficient RF-7iis)

Aragon 8008bb (boasts 200 wpc and has XLR inputs and is a Dual Mono amp with separate power supplies for each channel)

Bryston 3bst

Krell KA 150 (150 wpc I have heard good and bad things about this amp

The Aragon 8008BB will thump those RF-7II's to no end. Same for the Anthem P2. I just picked up an Anthem MCA-2(for another forum member)in mint condition and demoed it with my RB-35's. Very neutral with similar bass drive as my Acurus amps. Balanced connections also.

Bill

• Like 1

Here is the new version of the 8008BB for a fantastic price.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-aragon-8008-new-dual-mono-amp-by-the-new-indy-audio-labs-2013-11-08-amplifiers-55379-shakopee-mn

Not sure what you want to spend but this new Indy Audio Labs Aragon is less than 1/2 price of MSRP.

Bill

Yeah I have been in contact with Youthman recently through Facebook The new Acurus line as well as the old don’t have the balanced XLR inputs but im sure they would be great. Position wise they are about 1 foot off the back wall but in a huge area room to fill. I wanted to stick to the 5 I listed though. I know the P2 would definitely kick those speakers but maybe too much is what I’m thinking. The Aragon 8008 and the P2 are around the same price and they are both on audiogon at the moment. I’m leaning towards the Aragon and the A2 of my selected amps. Do you suggest the A2 to do a good job for delivering plenty of power in two channel music listening? I know my A2 and A5 up in the theater provide extremely low or no distortion at very loud listening levels and I have definitely cranked the theater to reference volume a few times but of course they are delivering much bass to the speakers since they are all at 80z and not designed for that. I thought about tube amps when I first started building this setup but decided to go the SS route.

You know I would have already suggested Acurus but they do not have balanced connections. Youthman is very happy with the Acurus A200 driving his RF-7II's.

Bill

As short as his interconnects go, he doesn't really even need balanced connectors. I'd buy a couple of adapters and whatever amp I wanted.

I'd probably wait it out and hunt down the original 8008bb rather than the newer version

Why is that? I know the original 8008bb was highly praised in it's time and even now considered by many to be one of the best "affordable audiophile" amps ever produced. I would hope IAL's goal was to produce an amp that would carry on that legacy.

Even though the used price of that IAL 8008 on Audiogon is pretty darn good, used 8008bb's come in considerably cheaper.

Bill

Edited by willland

Well I wouldn’t need adapters I have a few spare audioquest Quartz interconnects I just really want to use the XLR cables in this setup. The newer 8008 isn’t out of the question I just would rather pair up Aragon Aurum with its original mate if I went that route and if I do spend in the 2k range id more than likely get the P2. At 325 wpc that would sure future proof amp buying for a whiel if I were to swap the RF-7iis down the road one day for less efficient speakers. Im leaning hard on either anther A2 or original 8008 at the 1k price mark but finding those 2 amps seems to always be a challenging in itself. They just don’t pop up very often.

The newer 8008 isn’t out of the question I just would rather pair up Aragon Aurum with its original mate if I went that route

I can understand that. I like the matching thing also.

Im leaning hard on either anther A2 or original 8008 at the 1k price mark but finding those 2 amps seems to always be a challenging in itself. They just don’t pop up very often.

You're right, I have never seen the P2 or 8008BB on C-list and only rarely on Audiogon.

Bill

That's kind of the problem buying and selling amps and gear to often. So I gave it some thought last night and was talking about it with the wife and I told her I may want to get a little more future proof with amp buying. The 2 amps upstairs I should be set with until they die (hopefully a long time from now) and I was thinking about maybe going the Mcintosh Route. I would probably be better off spending a little more on a pre and amp and not swap any more. I have read a few good reviews about pairing up the MC2205 with the RF-7iis but it doesn’t support XLR I believe. I may list the Aurum for sale or keep it for a pair of speakers in the garage one day. I wouldn’t mind having a pair of older or heritage speakers for the garage after the holidays. I could always put the Aragon aurum in the closet until I see an 8008 for sale to pair with it and instead hunt for some Mcintosh gear. I agree would never really need more than a 200wpc amp.

Ok I found a near mint Mcintosh MC2205 located in Fort Mill Sc. I live in Charleston about a 3 hour drive from fort mill (located near charlotte). I own a home there as well and plan to go up to visit the Biltmore house next weekend. Sounds a little like fate as it is a local pick up only auction and he wont ship. I put a bid in (the only bid so far) for 1200.00. Im putting the ebay item number below for anyone that wants to check it out and chime in with their 2 cents I much appreciate it. It doesn’t have XLR inputs but id be willing to use my Audioquest RCA inputs if I go the Mcintosh route. I would want to pair it with a mcintosh pre amp maybe after the holidays. Please let me know your thoughts. I have read some great reviews of this amp pair with klipsch

Ebay item #251395277202