Consonance

Deang

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobile---Yeah, The Wild Bunch is pretty good but I don't care as much for it now as I did when it came out, I was a huge fan of the picture then. Now much of the movie seems contrived, especially the whole Angel character and the scene in the idyllic Mexican village. And I don't care much for what Peckinpah saw through the camera, his staging seems rather pedestrian and styless, it looks kinda like Panavision TV, none of the granduer Ford so effortlessly put on the frame. But yes, a very good picture and a great cast, I'll watch almost anything with Ben Johnson.

Thankfully there are people trying to defuse this discussion. Thank you all. I tried to soft pedal this but.........now deang, you've really pissed me off.

So... deang and tom m., I grew up in a violent city, in tougher circumstances than you can even imagine. The things you cite were everyday occurances. I've never been raped or kidnapped, but I've been assaulted, robbed, assaulted even by the police who also threatened my life based soley on my skin color and called worse names than gringo. I've been assualted by members of our majority population just for being alive and walking on the street with my girlfriend. I've been assaulted by the police while serving my country and stationed in the south. People had tried to deny me the right to have a drink in a bar less than 500 feet from the main gate of the base where I was stationed and threatened my life. I lived in a off base apartment complex with my 1st wife where the KKK burned crosses in the field across the road and threatened all people of color because I was one of two non-white families who had moved in. You don't know anything about having your life and family threatened, you just think you do. I've never been part of any crime or contemplated such but have been treated with racism by members of the SFPD and other redneck communities. So still in this present day and age, even here in the state of California, I face racism, and threats and racial names whenever members of the majority population feels like it. So go FART! You don't know SH*T about how tough life can be and quit the crap on hypothetical situations. I've lived through it, and in spite of it, and I'm not running to buy a gun thinking it's going to save me or my family. I hate to say it, but you're both so full of CRAP!~ I've served my country honorably and have earned the right to say what I'm saying, and even so you both can have your convoluted sense of justice. So be it. But quite frankly, I don't wish to discuss it any more with you "paper tigers". Let's just stick with matters of audio.

PEACE.

Klipsch out.

I had started this long involved response in defense of Jazman's post pointing to the perspective from the opposite point of view, but then decided to back off as I have found this "gun as a means of defense" mindset to be quite a stubborn one, backed by years and years of Will impervious to reason.

I totally agree with the earlier post that Jazman left concerning the rather shortsighted point of views expressed by Tom, so short sighted that in his preceeding post's last sentence relating to his wife's continuing focus on the spanish language for their daughter, he was once again unaware of how painfully transparent and telling this was of his real underlying thoughts. In addition, Jazman's point concerning the reversal of the roles is a point that should have been well-taken as it has probably happened more times than can be counted, and is a point that Mobley is seemingly unaware of.

I think Jazman's post was well stated and tough to argue with, and neither of the respondees came away with anything more meaningful than the original "protecting my family" rhetoric which sounds quite noble in the face of things but is really a smokescreen covering the underlying problems of this gun toting solution. Actually, sadly to say, this was preferable to Dean's almost ludicrous Bat Masterson quote post which was nearly an embarrassment to all sides. What the hell were you trying to say here really???? This sounds like machismo gone amuck!

Dean, I think you are really guilty of using shocking rhetoric reciting crimes with the notion that carrying a gun would be a valid solution (but only if you possess the "will" to use it). And even worse, you throw in more superficial encounters like a "random drunk" and "road rage" in the same paragraph, as if the gun would be a valid option here, something that is beyond absurd and just goes to further prove the point concerning the dangers of the gun as the big stick solution within the grasp of the narrow minded.

Frankly, carrying a gun gives mental yokels a valid option to avoid using REASON and intelligence in the problem solving, something that is already in too short a supply these days. It is this statement concerning the "will to use it" which is the backbone of why people WORRY about guns in the hands of those least likely to handle the responsibility with mental alacrity. Ironically, I have found that most who have the mental witherall with a sense of proportion and reason to CARRY a gun are the very ones that opt to NOT CARRY a gun.

In relation to Jazman, after reading his last post, I have an even greater respect for his standpoint, as he could have easily used his personal experiences as a reason to resort to the gun as a solution giving him seemingly more power. Instead, as evidenced by his use of reason over ignorance he faced in his encounters, he opts for much higher ground.

kh

ps - Dean (and Tom), as an aside here, I am not trying to emply that you are narrow minded or ignorant and I, for the most part, enjoy the interaction with you in this forum, especially via the audio side of things. Yet the statements outside of this area of audio have been pretty troubling; and in general, as you have probably seen from my posts, I have really been hugely disappointed in the type of reasoning and views outside of the audio spectrum, and this from many of the members. Yet recently I have actually noted improvement in places like the General Forum. It seems you have remained reasonably open minded here (even though we hardly agree on anything specific).

In some ways, I think a few have actually learned a few things beyond audio, which actually surprised me a bit.

As someone that is always questioning, having settled on no identified 1-2-3-solution religion, neatly folded philosophical construct, or way of organizing the Universe around my perceptions, needs, and foibles in the hope of coming up with a simple solution for an inverse pyrimid of compexities, I have found man to be a species that takes the most complex, and in an attempt to comfort his pitterpatter heart at the thought of the vastness of existance, defines and categorizes existance into little pamphlets that can be easily digested to aid the eternal fear of the unknown, thereby making the unknown a veritable known nothing (Yet another construct that can be shown to be incomprehensive and/or faultily based). The unknown is pretty damn frightening for quite a few as evidenced by the reliance on The Bible as an explanation beyond the literary and moral compass. Can you tell I am an Episcopalian? heh...

What does this have to do with music or audio? Everything and nothing! Indeed.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-14-2002 at 10:30 AM

I consider it a compliment that you both felt comfortable enough with me to let me have it!

Kelly, my Bat Masterson qoute was in the context of people who think because they own or carry a gun they are 'armed'. Many people run out and buy a gun with a "gunslinger" mentality. I think that most of them would simply drop a turd if confronted with a real "situaton". The emphasis was supposed to be on sober-mindedness and training.

What you said regarding the underlying problem with Tom's statements didn't go un-noticed to me. I just felt he didn't mean them in a twisted, racist, convoluted kind of way. I know what you are saying though.

Regarding my rhetoric -- yeah, some of that did border on hyperbole. I guess I felt the need to go to extremes to drive home the point. With all due respect, you haven't given me any reasons to believe why my rhetoric isn't laced with truth.

As usual, you've given me some things to think about. Cool?

Jazman, I wish you would have made this last response your first response. I can't help but feel however, that you've made my point for me. In some of the situations you mentioned it would not have been prudent for you to have brandished a weapon. Having a cross burning in a field across from your house however, is an entirely different thing altogether. It is your God given right and duty, to defend and protect yourself, and your family. The nice thing about white sheets is they show up really well in the dark. (kidding! Just kidding!)

It sucks that you had to experience these things.

BTW -- you really should'nt presume to know about my experiences. There are reasons why I think about things the way I do, and I do not go into things half-witted.

Now, who's your Huckleberry

f>cwm11.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

Klipsch RF7s - AE-25 DJH - AE-3 DJH - Sony 9000ES

f>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 07-14-2002 at 10:20 AM

Assorted reviews have applauded the musicality of the Opera gear and given their selections very high ratings. Those who have built the DIY kits have given very high marks to the Basie, Billies, and Ella. Limited info on the Joplin to this point as it is relatively new and only Kevin has posted any insight into its performance but he had nothing but good things to say.

Really, it is necessary for mobile to get off his butt and provide us neophytes with expert opinion. I fully expect that to happen in the next couple weeks as he mentioned goign to the Chicago jam on the 27th.

Musicality aside, I find the Consonance kits to be some of the most attractive kits available - certainly far higher on the aesthetics scale than those Bottlehead radio-shack-looking kits; possibly as attractive as my little Eico HF-81.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

The chance of me attending the Chi-Town Horn Bash this July 27th is not too great but I will have the Joplin in house soon after, hopefully with the Basie and transformer passive onhand for a test as well.

The Consonance kits really do look like very nice units and possibly the best bargains in tube kits out right now. I'm really looking forward to hearing them as much as you loons.

Crash, have you not got your little EICO looking up to snuff? Did you ever get it functioning right?

kh

Hey Kelly,

I haven't done a thing appearance-wise. It needs to be mobile-homelessed with the black paint and polishing but it looks damn good in its original guise. I had been too busy to do anthing for a while and since then just spend my time listening to it.

It functions perfectly. I bought a whole bunch of tubes - Ei EL-84's, Mullard Cv4004's, and Mullard EL-84's. Yesterday, the thing stayed on from 8AM to 3AM. No problems. Normally I only have it on during active listening and generally no more than 3 hours.

Had a email problem but Jazman has some 12Au7's available that I hope to get at some point. Gotta hold off any more audio for a little while - trip to Vegas and California coming up next month and then Miami shortly thereafter. Of course, I could always get the bug and decide I need them immediately.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

quote:

Originally posted by deang:

I think that most of them would simply drop a turd if confronted with a real "situaton".

This is a defense move (so to speak) I've used, mostly at the front door, to get rid of Amway salesmen, or Girl Scouts trying to sell me cookies.

fini

deang,

I have no intentions of ever brandishing a firearm. For me this is a dead issue for discussion purposes. Your path and mine are different. Let's end it there.

Fini,

That's the "damned-est"(made up word) defense system I've ever heard, which I bet will send any but the most hardened perpetrator scurrying. Man, I can't stop laughing and howling. Thanks for your humor injection!

Klipsch out.

Jazmanf>

I understand -- I have several friends that feel the same way you do.

I hope I can include you in that camp.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Klipsch RF7s - AE-25 DJH - AE-3 DJH - Sony 9000ES

f>s>

Yeesh....how did guns become a topic in the 2 channel forum? People actually feel compelled to carry weapons? What a sad reflection on society that is!!!!

For those in the great white north this is not an issue eh. Smile.gif I kinda like the fact that murders here are actually reported in the news (front page).

I can't imagine the anxiety people live with that causes them to feel "safe" only when packing heat. When society gets to that point.......well you have to question why and how. It's really sad.

Regards,

Stu

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW2200 Sub Subwoofer

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

First, SET stands for Single Ended Triode. (Note that Triodes are not the only thing you can drive in signle ended mode - The Pass Labs Aleph series were single ended solid state amps, and there are several single ended designs using KT88 or 6550 tubes). What is "single ended"? In a single ended design, the entire signal is amplified by one device (or collection of things that looks like one device, like a bunch of paralleled transistors.) In most amps, you have two devices amplifing the signal. The input signal is "split in two", with the negative portion going in one direction, and the positive portion going in another direction. You then have one set of devices that handles amplifing the negative half of the signal, and another set of devices that handles amplifing the postive half. Different "classes" of amps, like class A, class AB, class B, etc. handle the two mirror image circuits slightly differently, but we don't go into that here.

The important point is that in a single ended design, the output device goes from mostest postivest at the most positive swing of the signal, to less positive at the maximum NEGATIVE swing of the signal. It never stops outputting a signal - the signal simply varies from high to low, but is always putting out something. In the absense of any input, the SET will still be putting out a DC current. The varying output (ranging from more positive to less positive) it produces in response to a signal is then filtered to remove the DC component (usually via a transformer), and the resulting AC signal drives the speakers.

In a push-pull amp, you split the signal into positive and negative halfs, and one output device(s) amplifies the positive portion (the "push") and one amplifies the negative (the "pull"). Note that push/pull amps can be any class - A, AB, B, whatever.

Advantage - higher power from push pull with less idle current, therefore less cost in power supplies, transformers, output devices, heat sinks, etc.

Disadvantage - you split the signal, then recombine it. Some folks say once you've split the signal, you can never put it back together again without leaving some distortions or degredation.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I've followed this thread with much interest, as it digressed into politically correct/incorrect verbiage..of course, none of us are going to agree on certain topics. I have to applaud Dean for keeping his cool, and addressing each attack on a one one one basis. I'm a little disappointed by Kelly (MH) for agreeing with Dean, than blasting him, after Jazmans comeback. (Kelly, you offer the best audio advice I've ever seen, but let's keep the politics out of here..that goes for all of us..me especially) Jazman, yeah you've gone thru more than most of us...but see above. I'm luckier than most of you guys, living in Alaska for more than 35 years..I don't have to experience the aggression of living in the lower 48..I'm a true believer in the "full boat" theory..aggression due to overpopulation! (NOT to start another thread!) People carry guns up here, and no one considers it a threat! It's not a self defense for crimes, it's a deterrent for bear attacks!

And no, most of us don't shoot animals for fun. Or club seals..let's not start that!

Let's keep this to audio..what we appreciate best..I certainly appreciate the info I have gathered here..

And who associated religion with guns?? Geez!

Steve

------------------

Happiness is coming

just re-read the whole thread, and I owe an apology to Kelly.he never did agree with Dean..I read his original message incorrectly.

Sorry MH..

But I stick by the rest of my post..

Steve

------------------

Happiness is coming

By the way, you can do a strange thing that seems to baffle people, and it's called EDIT. See bottom of the offending post for the edit button.

I reread my posts as well. Evidently, you have not wandered into the General Questions area where I made my point clear as well.

I also went back and reread my posts here. I dont know where you even remotely got the idea that I ever agreed with Dean on this matter. On top of that, I thought my comments were lucid and clear, if not moving to the esoteric, from beginning to end.

Take a reread of my opinion of these type of posts, especially within the Klipsch forum, which is perhaps one of the most conservative platitude strongholds this side of the Limbaugh Express, a trip I avoid if I can help it. Whatever happened to close reading skills? Yes, it's a forum, but why treat it any differently? I am not really focusing this criticism on Steve here; I see this within the audio posts, especially if you opt to write more than one paragraph, which I tend to do, much to my own detriment most of the time.

How many people here actually carefully read long posts? This is actually a serious question as I wonder whether it is worth writing more than the more typical few sentences.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-16-2002 at 08:46 AM