Denon X4000 paired with what Klipsch speakers?

thewillienelson

So, I'm doing my first theater setup and would like some suggestions. I have already ordered a Denon X4000 for the receiver based on what I want. I am certain I want Klipsch speakers as well. This will be in my apartment bedroom for another year and then I will be purchasing a house and it will go in the living room at that time. Currently, the only hookup will be my Xbox One; however, I plan on expanding later with the house and that's why I went with the X4000. It will be equally used for video games, movies, and music. Based on that information, someone recommended that I go with 4 KB-15's (front and surrounding), KC-25 center, and the SW-450. After looking around, the Quintet system looks interesting due to being able to mount the speakers. I am looking to purchase this week so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

This would be ideal:

a 9.0 set of klipsch icon consisting of

2 kf-26 asking 300$,

1 kc-25 asking 150$ ,

2 ks-14 asking 150$,

4 kb-15 asking 150$ per pair.

mint and all in boxes

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147635-ton-of-gear-for-sale%E2%80%A6/

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Tasdom

thewillienelson,

Back when Hi-Fi was only 2 channel, they used to say that 60% of your TOTAL budget should be spent on your speakers, because speakers are where you get the most bang for your buck in sound. Now days with 5 channel and 7 channel surround and the addition of one or two sub woofers, I would say that 80% or more should be spent on your speakers for the best sound balance. You are looking at a $1300 receiver. Even if we don't add the price of a DVD player, etc., we are looking at least $$5200 in speakers and sub for a balanced system. I take it you are on a budget as you are saving for a house, so how much can you afford to spend??? I used to have Quintets, and they would be ok for a cheaper budget bedroom set, but if you plan on being able to move into a house in one year and moving your system into the living room, have you considered getting two really good speakers now and adding to that after you get the house??? The sound will be a whole lot better. What is your total budget that you have to work with????

Roger

This would be ideal:

a 9.0 set of klipsch icon consisting of

2 kf-26 asking 300$,

1 kc-25 asking 150$ ,

2 ks-14 asking 150$,

4 kb-15 asking 150$ per pair.

mint and all in boxes

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147635-ton-of-gear-for-sale%E2%80%A6/

Welcome to the forum!

hey I know the guy selling those. Sounds like a perfect setup for you!

If you really are set to have a full system of speakers and the Quintets have spiked your interest I wouldn’t shy you away from them. I used to have the 3rd generation in a bedroom and I really enjoyed them. They run out of steam pretty quickly when you put them into a larger room with high ceilings etc. I would strongly suggest going with 2 speakers for now like a pair of nice floor standers and then expanding. The Denon avr looks pretty nice I used to own a 3808 and enjoyed it very much. if you go with a smaller system that will go into your living room in the home 90% of the time you will be finding yourself upgrading and spending more and more. It happens to most on here and id suggest going with 2 channel for now. Are you willing to buy used?

Thanks for the quick responses y'all. I realize you are supposed to spend more on speakers, but I got this receiver at a deal. Brand new for $800 so that's why I went high-end. The budget isn't an issue right now. I just want to make sure I make a purchase that will last and I'll be happy with for a while. I've heard the kf's are really good starters then add to it later with some rear speakers. If I go that route, what would be the best read speakers for surround sound?

Are you trying to stick with bookshelfs for your setup or did you want to get towers? The quintets in any sizable room aren't going to do so hot for movies.

If you want to stick with bookshelfs, maybe consider the RB-81 II home theater package http://www.klipsch.com/rb-81-ii-home-theater-system. You would need to buy a wall mount for the speakers or do you're own modified mounting solution.

You don't have to be everything exactly as the package comes but i would match up the center and L/R speakers as they already are. The sub you can get better value elsewhere. Klipsch subs are not bad but are priced a bit higher than other brands that are excellent too and you can get more for the same money. Your surrounds can be in-wall/in-ceiling or bookshelfs or with an actual "surround" speaker.

I've done the apt living and I had my RF-7 set in there! It comes down to your budget at the end of the day as there are a plethora of options. You just need to identify what you want in the future and try to nail it down the first time ESPECIALLY if you are buying new.

I have never ever purchased electronics based on a ratio of any kind. A $2,000 receiver does not mean it is significantly better than a $500 receiver and that can be applied to anything. There is such a thing as diminishing values and it is so incredibly evident in the electronics industry. It's all about marketing and product positioning at the end of the day. Companies that sell $60,000 a pair speakers are of a different breed. Do i think that 60k pair of speakers is going to sound so life like i can't tell and i can justify the expense....well, I highly doubt it. You need to like what you hear and that is all that matters. Either speakers or receiver can be a limiting factor. The cart before the horse or horse before the cart is the same thing here. You bought the receiver so you need to be careful what speakers you choose. If you bought your speakers first, it may dictate what receiver or amp you buy. I wouldn't run magnepans off your receiver, especially the bigger ones or other power hungry speaker beasts. We are fortunate, Klipsch is a very efficient brand of speakers so using a receiver 9 times out of 10 isn't an issue. I would cry though if you ran palladiums off of a receiver though but it would still work and my choice to cry is just personal preference...

Edited by SuBXeRo

Lol that's random suggestion

Are you referring to my post? The Heresy is a good speaker and can be had for around $400 a pair used(depending on your location)... This would allow the TS to start with a nice pair of speakers for a little cash and then buy more as his funding allowed.

• Like 1

Great idea to me! Started doing just that in April 2013; now I have 5 Heresy, a pair of La Scala, & various other Klipsch speakers for 2 systems.

To the Original Poster: if you haven't, start checking your local Craig's List.

Lol that's random suggestion

Are you referring to my post? The Heresy is a good speaker and can be had for around $400 a pair used(depending on your location)... This would allow the TS to start with a nice pair of speakers for a little cash and then buy more as his funding allowed.
  • Like 1

I like the suggestions of starting with less speakers. Most apartments are not large enough to benefit from an 9.x setup. The used market may allow you to get a Reference set near the same price as the Icon's. I still have my front ported VF 35's and like the sound. I had a 9.x Icon system which was great with movies but, not with music compared to the Reference system

• Like 1

I work at a retailer and I'll just come out and say that I get a discount. Haha I'm also looking at the Definitive Technology 1000 series after testing the 2 at my store.

thewillienelson,

You still haven't stated a budget you want to spend on speakers yet... Have you considered buying used so that you can get better speakers for the money you have to spend, AND, are you open to starting with just two speakers (depending on your budget) if it will get you a lot better sound than the surround setups you are looking at???

Roger

• Like 1