Looking for recommendations on new 5.1 receiver

mittzx

Mittzx,

Welcome to the forum.

I have Belle fronts, RC-64 II center, RS-35 surrounds and Energy S12.3 sub. I watch TV, some movies and lots of concert blu-rays on this system. What 5.1 receiver would you recommend?

Unless you have a way to use those very musical Belles as 2-channel only(integrated amp or preamp with HT bypass), then I would focus on a more musical AVR. Many on this forum love the Pioneer Elite receiver's with the class D ICE amps for HT and music. I am a big fan of the NAD AVR's which are also very musical and powerful.

What might be your budget?

What functions are your must haves?

Bill

I'd like to keep the cost below $1,000, but I may be willing to spend more if needed.

As far as functions, I'm just looking for a good AVR that will provide quality sound with my existing speakers. I do like to have the volume up a bit when watching/listening to concert Blu-rays.

Based on this, is there a specific Pioneer Elite or NAD you would recommend?

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V2500. It's started to shut it's self down at moderate volume levels with a Check SP Wires warning. Speaker wires are good with no shorts or frayed ends (all have banana plugs) so I think it might be an internal issue with the receiver.

Based on this, is there a specific Pioneer Elite or NAD you would recommend?

I will let the Elite guys chime in.

As far as NAD, a refurbished 765HD would fiit your budget.

http://www.spearitsound.com/Surround_Receivers-NAD_T765HD2_Refurbished.html

or for more $$$,

http://www.spearitsound.com/Surround_Receivers-NAD_T775HD2_Refurbished.html

Bill

Edited by willland

You have belles....you only need a handful of watts to really get them going! I like harman kardon amps and receivers but denon, onkyo, pioneer and marantz all make awesome products. NAD as suggested is great, check out rotel too.

If you want to have more fun, jump to the power amp and processor route

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the advice and input. I bought ($615) a Pioneer Elite SC-55 and I'm VERY happy with it.

I did try to buy the SC-57 that Scrappy has/had, but after me making a full price offer and more than a week of PM/emails, he informed me that someone local had expressed an interest. That deal ultimately fell through and he re-offered it to me, but I had already bought the SC-55.

Thanks again.