What is a 128k Song Music Library Worth?

johnnydrama

Long story short, I've acquired a Seagate 2TB external hard drive with over 128k songs. It also has a couple hundred movies and tv shows. The hard drive itself sells for $89.99. Is there a way to determine the market value for a music collection this size?

post-51058-0-60800000-1389633688_thumb.j

Edited by johnnydrama

If you have no prior convictions, maybe just soem community service.

;) . Maybe I should elaborate. I've had a lot of gear fall on my lap recently from a friend who is now widowed and I'm trying to sell some of it for her. When I plugged in the external hard drive I was blown away. He also has a Sony minidisc player and extensive minidisc collection that I have no idea how to value.

Unless you can verify the legal purchasing of every track (either receipts or through physical CD's) then I'm not sure you have any way of placing a resale value. Honestly, I'm not sure you even can resell them and maintain compliance with the EULA's of digital music providers.

I've tried trading some hard drives containing music libraries for gear on craigslist ($100-$200 type stuff) and have yet to find anyone interested . i think it would be even harder to try and get cash.

edit: 822GB for 128k+ songs means mp3. blah. My 24k+ FLAC library (16/44.1, 24/96) is 780GB.

Edited by Thaddeus Smith

Unless you can verify the legal purchasing of every track (either receipts or through physical CD's) then I'm not sure you have any way of placing a resale value. Honestly, I'm not sure you even can resell them and maintain compliance with the EULA's of digital music providers.

I've tried trading some hard drives containing music libraries for gear on craigslist ($100-$200 type stuff) and have yet to find anyone interested . i think it would be even harder to try and get cash.

edit: 822GB for 128k+ songs means mp3. blah. My 24k+ FLAC library (16/44.1, 24/96) is 780GB.

Makes sense. Sounds like I'll be better off just holding onto it for my own pleasure.

• Like 1

This brings up an interesting point. When I was a wee baby, my dad sold the bulk of his vinyl to pay some medical bills when my mom got sick. You can take a stack of vinyl and CD's into Half Price Books and walk way with some cash. Guys sell physical media libraries online all the time and make off pretty well.

The move to file-based music means that piece of your hi fi can no longer be considered an "investment". That in itself is a paradigm shift, no?

I have been enjoying it honestly. I haven't been able to think of a song and not find it on there. There isn't a lot of the "new stuff." Which is fine considering it's easily accessible through other avenues. I just don't sit and listen to music all that often, it's usually for background noise while cleaning the house or playing with the kids, and even then I'm happy w/ pandora, spotify, or the collection I already have. Therefore I thought it might be "worth" more to someone else that would enjoy it and I could use the money for something I would get more pleasure out of.

I have been enjoying it honestly. I haven't been able to think of a song and not find it on there. There isn't a lot of the "new stuff." Which is fine considering it's easily accessible through other avenues. I just don't sit and listen to music all that often, it's usually for background noise while cleaning the house or playing with the kids, and even then I'm happy w/ pandora, spotify, or the collection I already have. Therefore I thought it might be "worth" more to someone else that would enjoy it and I could use the money for something I would get more pleasure out of.

I'm sure that a LOT of people would be interested in this collection. It's just that it isn't in the best format and most of us here have some of the best speakers in the world (shameless plug). Kinda like putting giant chrome wheels on a Lamborghini.

Ron

I'm sure that a LOT of people would be interested in this collection. It's just that it isn't in the best format and most of us here have some of the best speakers in the world (shameless plug). Kinda like putting giant chrome wheels on a Lamborghini.

Ron

I agree and completely understand that. Especially the best speakers in the world part :D