A couple of RF 7II, RC 64II Questions

cdub5

So today I found a Fry's that actually had some RF 7II's to hear. Very hard around here to find anywhere to listen to Reference Klipsch, let alone the 7II's. Currently I own RF 82II's and an RC 62II. I've been reading for years about the 7's and the 64, and how superior they are to what I'm running. Well, I liked what I heard, even with how they were set up. Gotta imagine how much they could offer if set up properly/better. Now I've got this nasty itch to upgrade. Problem is my wallet doesn't agree with me. So here are some of my questions

I know most will say save and wait until you can afford the towers, but if I was able to get the 64II first, (unfortunately this was not available for a listen, but I'm gonna imagine it's an upgrade to my 62II) would it pair okay with my 82II's? Also, how much can you put on top of the RC 64? I have a Samsung plasma that weighs about 80lbs, but with my current set up I would have to put the 64 on the top shelf of my entertainment center, and mounting tv on wall is not really an easy option. I'm assuming that is too much weight, but I see alot of photos with tv's on top of the center channel.

If I was able to afford two RF 7II's, would my RC 62II match okay with them? Would my Pioneer SC-61 treat them right?

Side note, I was really surprised by the size of the RF 7's. I thought my 82's were big, but nope!

Lastly, not sure if this is forum appropriate, but if I were to upgrade, what might be a ballpark value on my current speakers? 2 years old this Feb, and in mint condition. As a set or sold seperately.

Any opinions, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Moderators

Ah the upgrade bug is a nasty one. :P

If you are wanting to upgrade to the RF-7ii and RC-64ii, the RC-64ii will be fine with your RF-8ii.

My son has his 32" tv on top of the RC-64ii but not sure what a max weight would be for it. My guess is 80lbs wouldn't hurt it but that is just a guess.

I do not think the RC-62ii would be a good match for the RF-7ii.

Not sure what the RF-82ii are worth.

the 64 cabinet is VERY strong... we've seen the 7ii's go for between 1850 and 2000 new fairly easily if you can live with b stock items. the 64ii's at 600-700 for a used item so you are looking at somewhere between 2400-2700'ish and you would never need to buy another speaker the rest of your life if you didnt want to. your 82/62 would be able to get some of that back to the tone of say 1100-1400 or so...make the RF7/RC64 look like a great deal to me.

pioneer elite amplifiers work VERY well with the reference line, but you will need to get in there and tweek it up a little bit to get supreme sound, but should not be a problem.

even though i am completely into my heritage speakers right now, I will get a pair of 7's before the sun sets as a second set up.

Edited by Schu

Thanks all for the help.

The Samsung plasma that I have has the X shaped base on the bottom not a rectangular base. Not sure if this makes a difference. I would have to measure to make sure that the four points of the base would fit properly on top of the 64. Hopefully that wouldn't be too much weight on the corners. Honestly looking at my entertainment stand, I might be pushing it's limits with 50 extra lbs. It's a metal frame with wood in the front and all glass shelves. 40" wide X 14" deep. Not very big

In terms of selling my current gear, I would think $1000 for all 3 would probably be at the high for what I could get? Also, seems like that could be a tough sell since you can get these new for great deals as well.

Oh well maybe I could sell one of my kids.

Thoughts on this. Does this seem like something to avoid? I know it's still got 4 days left, but seems suspiciously low.

http://r.ebay.com/i8u4K4

If that question was fir me, no. Too cheap to spend the money. I even bought the WOW disk but never opened it. I copied settings from cnet for similar tv for a quick fix, (I know that is not ideal) with plans of a better calibration being done. My wife and I are happy with the pq for now, so calibration kinda put on the future to do list. Love this tv though. If the question wasn't for me,I have no idea what the other guy did

Edited by cdub5