RE: "Cable Myths Continued"

Mallette

Mike, Mark, Arky, SP, et al...

Maybe use this timeout to listen and comment on the files I uploaded.

We do that rarely here, and it's about time we all were listening to the same things...through different ears and different systems...and comparing notes.

It CAN be very instructive and useful

Dave

• Moderators
No one that was participating in the discussion was worked up, Mike. However, there is a tremendous resentment from about half a dozen people who haven't learned how to move on to threads that DO interest them.

Things were going just fine, I read but didn't really comment and it was nothing like years ago, in a good way. You have to say the different opinions really help people think about things from many different angles, without nastiness, kind of the whole idea.

This is a thread about a thread in another room. Get over it or start thread #3 in the correct room.

Mercifully that doesn't work from the mobile app.

Sancho,

What's your goal to continually come into these threads where you offer nothing on topic and simply register a beef? What would you like to accomplish?

There is a work-around for that thread. Click on the topic title which takes you to the first page, then click on reply to this topic. Underneath the reply box is a summary of the most recent posts.

Mercifully that doesn't work from the mobile app.

Mercifully?

Were people really getting worked up? I thought it was an interesting civil discussion?

I didn’t see anyone else really weigh in specifically on why that thread was disturbing to them, but I’m not sure what he meant either and I guess that I'm not sure why he continued to read the thread if it was so painful. If it was me, I would just pass over it myself.

I agree that the thread turned out to be one of the better discussion I’ve read on the forum in a while and I thought that Mark, Dave, Don, Dean, oldtimer, psg, you and several others were digging in deep and providing useful information and perspectives for those of us that have not really looked at cables and provided useful information on where the snake oil tends to exist. But you almost have to read everything to get the meaning and flow of the discussion as it transitioned.

Our busy season work schedule has kept my reading and posting to a minimum, but as I had time to read, not being a person that has thought much about cables either way (too many aspects much higher on the list to work through), I found many of the posts in that thread very useful. The core posters in that thread seemed to represent a nice and diverse base of experience and provided views across a wide swath of the continuum between objective and subjective. The discussion was much better than a few very narrow, biased views based on limited experience that all say the same thing.

However, in the other cable thread, I get the impression that from reading the posts that it almost seems that he may be approaching it kind of like that proverbial “12 year old that wakes up and stumbles into the adult New Year’s Eve party and doesn’t know exactly how to act with the adults but tries to be one anyway.”

Please don't misunderstand as now I’m sure that he is a very nice guy, but it does come across that he seems to have been stalking and spamming the cable threads somewhat. He was the second poster (I’m not even sure Thebes saw his screen re-fresh after he started the new cable thread) in the “Cable Myths Continued” thread (that now has the technical difficulties with page 31) and his contribution to the thread in that second post was “In before the 2d lock,” which kind of implies to me that he was stalking the first thread too.

Now I'm reading this thread and I notice that he tells Mark in this thread to “This is a thread about a thread in another room. Get over it or start thread #3 in the correct room” like he doesn’t even realize that Mark probably had 35% or more of the posts in that other cable thread as the debate continued.

However, in that “other thread” that he references here, I remembered that he posts, rather than start his own thread (like he is telling Mark here) he posts “What IS the Hobby? When he does not get an immediate answer (first post on 2/6/14 at 7:48 pm), there again, rather than start his own thread like he has told Mark here, he quotes his own post and states “I say again...this is a serious question” on 2/6/14 at 8:15 pm. I also did not notice anyone busting on him to start his own thread, but several in that thread did politely answer his question in time.

Oh well, youthful exuberance combined with a keyboard, I’m not sure what else to think ……

post-36163-0-08920000-1391972634_thumb.j

post-36163-0-59760000-1391972677_thumb.j

• Moderators
No one that was participating in the discussion was worked up, Mike. However, there is a tremendous resentment from about half a dozen people who haven't learned how to move on to threads that DO interest them.

Things were going just fine, I read but didn't really comment and it was nothing like years ago, in a good way. You have to say the different opinions really help people think about things from many different angles, without nastiness, kind of the whole idea.

Hey Dtel,

Since you commented on this. Do you resent others having conversations that don't interest you? (Just trying to figure out what causes all the resentment)

No not at all, I look through and see what interest me to read, sometimes I post.

I read a lot where I have never made a post because I'm not interested in doing any research to actually have a informed opinion, not crazy about debating but sometimes become informed just from reading.

About as close as I come to resentment is when someone really, pushes one thing or idea over another as if it's fact when almost everything in this hobby is how it's personally perceived.

I do really have a bad habit of being silly, and sending things off track, it tends to be more when a thread is dying off or slowing down, I tend to try to not do that if it's a serious discussion and good points are being made, I'd rather just stay out the way.

Over the years I have gained a lot of respect for people here and have been lucky enough to meet in person many really good people.

No not at all, I look through and see what interest me to read, sometimes I post. I read a lot where I have never made a post because I'm not interested in doing any research to actually have a informed opinion, not crazy about debating but sometimes become informed just from reading. About as close as I come to resentment is when someone really, pushes one thing or idea over another as if it's fact when almost everything in this hobby is how it's personally perceived. I do really have a bad habit of being silly, and sending things off track, it tends to be more when a thread is dying off or slowing down, I tend to try to not do that if it's a serious discussion and good points are being made, I'd rather just stay out the way. Over the years I have gained a lot of respect for people here and have been lucky enough to meet in person many really good people.

Me too dtel, nicely said. That's really a nice way of saying i'm a dumbass.

• Moderators

:D Well you can look through all of my post and you will not find anything even close to me claiming to be anything smarter than the average chimp.

How you been Arky it's been years now since we were in Hope, glad your past you gravity problems with TV's. :mad: It's been long enough now that you can laugh about it, I hope.