Crites Cornscala Midrange Edginess

EmilC

jacksonbart loves this place in general. He's a lifer.

Now getting back to the hot midrange, yes using a 405 likely needs to be tamed down a bit.

EmilC, you will find that since you are using a home brew speaker with no chamber to tweak it in, it really doesn't matter that much. That is likely why a lot of good speakers don't sound good when you get them in your house. Your room and electronics have 500% to do with the sound.

Now again, you are using a home brew speaker so you should be tweaking it based on your room and your tastes for maximum enjoyment. Most people with very expensive speakers would run for the hills when you mention tweaking. Unfortunately everyone usually stuffs their room to match or sells at a big loss. Bob will surely work with you on this and he has given you a serious platform to start with.

Many Klipsch are considered very hot so your version of Cornscala is following suite.

A little background.

I was always interested in horn designs and when a pair of Cornwalls came up locally I jumped at the chance. I was so enamored by the sound of them I put up my Magnepan 3.6s for sale. Never did I find the Cornwalls "hot".

Cant leave well enough alone, I stumbled upon the Cornscalas, especially Bob Crites design. Figuring they would build on the strengths of the Cornwalls I ordered a pair. Thats what I was expecting and maybe naively so.

What I did get was a well made box and good drivers. His crossover needs a bit of work IMHO.Possibly a design like ALK's universal xover where the tweeter and midrange levels can be adjusted to taste and room considerations.

Would I discourage someone from buying Crites's Cornscala? Absolutely not! But not with some caveats.

Im currently talking with Dean WEScott to get things sorted.

I like Bob's simple network, it's probably what I would use. I would change out three of the parts though -- personal preference.

Bob probably balances for the flattest response, which is what he believes a loudspeaker should do. So yes, you can leave them alone and add an EQ, which I'm sure is something Bob would approve of. However, many don't like to add more into the signal path than necessary.

Most people don't really like the sound of a loudspeaker with a flat response, which usually sounds too bright. What actually ends up sounding flat (perceptually) is a loudpeaker that has a top end which is brought down a bit in relationship to the bottom. This relates to how human hearing actually works. Many loudspeakers are voiced accordingly.

post-1106-0-71680000-1392223445_thumb.pn

Edited by DeanG

Followup:

First off, I want to make sure that my intention was never to disparage Crite's Cornscala but to just help solve a problem I was having.

So, Im happy to report that the midrange edginess I initially reported has smoothed out. I know that concept of "break in" is not well accepted by Bob Crite's and others here but I have no other explanation and, no, its not that my ears are getting used to the sound :). Several "golden eared" buddies have also heard the improvement.

Can Bob's design be improved upon? Of course, but I can live with the stock form until then.

Happy listening!

Guest David H

Followup:

First off, I want to make sure that my intention was never to disparage Crite's Cornscala but to just help solve a problem I was having.

So, Im happy to report that the midrange edginess I initially reported has smoothed out. I know that concept of "break in" is not well accepted by Bob Crite's and others here but I have no other explanation and, no, its not that my ears are getting used to the sound :). Several "golden eared" buddies have also heard the improvement.

Can Bob's design be improved upon? Of course, but I can live with the stock form until then.

Happy listening!

Excellent, enjoy those Cornscala's Emil.

Dave